Advice on hanging cheek snaffle

angelat

Visit site
Hiya Have a 8 mths broken 5 year old Hanoverian who has just started to develop attitude since he is feeling fit and well and has realised that he is 16.3 and powerfully built. The main issue is that he is starting to try and tow me (and a very experienced rider) around - it's a bit like being on a juggernaught.

He is currently in a french link snaffle and we are going to stick with this for a while while we try and correct his rudeness through riding better but I am making a plan B in case we need to change the bit!

We are definitely going to stick to a snaffle and are currently favouring a hanging cheek snaffle as would seem to be slightly more severe, will encourage him to work through his back and is also dressage legal which is important. Any thoughts??

gummybear

Visit site
I have recently changes from a french link loose ring to a hanging cheek - have a 17.2 dressage, and has made a really difference. Much better control, steering etc, and has really come up through his neck and started working more through his back and behind since I have been useding it - and being dressage legal it helps! Give it a go and see - your horse may hate it!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Whilst not a big hanoverian - though I did have one like that but she was not strong, just other issues, I did find the hanging cheek worked wonders on my gypsy cob mare - it was her favorite bit and she went really well in it. Just gave me that extra bit of brakes - it was a french link.

ajn1610

Visit site
If he tows you try lifting your hand - not to jab him in the mouth but lift both hands slowly vertically and as soon as he softens drop them back to the normal position, it looks weird but it really works, makes it very hard for them to lean on you and use you as a fifth leg without rewarding the bad habit by giving away the contact.