Advice on loaning a horse out

X

xspiralx

Finding a sharer is a great idea in theory but practically will probably be very difficult.

I doubt there are many people that are experienced enough to break in and bring on a youngster that would be willing to do that for free, let alone pay for the privilege.

A long term loan may be possible, but you still have the same problem of people putting a lot of work into a horse that could be taken away - that will put off many people that would be experienced enough.

Realistically I think selling would be the best option. I understand you want to safeguard the future of the horse, but if you're willing to sell you'll have more options for homes, and someone is likely to be more invested and committed to a horse that is theirs, than one that could be removed at any minute.

annaellie

Visit site
I put my last horse out on loan, he wad looked after really well she doted on him and ended up buying him, I still get updates on how he is doing which is great :D. I do agree though that something so young people who have the experience of breaking and schooling youngsters may be wary of the horse being taken back once the hard work was done.
Another point though years ago I had a dapple grey welsh sec a and took on a sec b on loan to buy, I sold the sec a to a couple on my yard who appeared to look after the horses, they moved and 8 months later the yard I was on closed so I moved onto another yard and my lovely sec a was there she looked a state :( far to fat and you could not see her dapples through the s@@t stains she looked so depressed and her mane was all matted :( I have never felt so guilty for selling and thought I should of loaned her out.
I have also seen bad loans it's such a hard one trying to do what's best but I would always try to go for a sharer first that way you have the most control :)

hudsonw

Visit site
For every one horror story there are hundreds of loans out there that work out fantastically for everyone involved...you just have to be honest about your horse and your expectations, equally the person loaning your horse needs to be honest about their abilities etc.

As the owner of the horse you should be making regular visits of your horse and if you not happy then give notice and take your horse back...in the back of your mind you always need to be prepared to take your horse back, as all the good will in the world things change.
It makes me angry when i read posts that owners complain that the loan has been returned...well it's your horse and the reason you didn't sell is so you could have a say in your horses future, don't then complain that you have your horse back!!

It's not always the loaners fault a loan doesn't work out and if it doesn't work then it doesn't have to end in disaster...not every loan ends with the horse being sold without the owner knowing, starving or neglected animals etc etc

Before you loan, do your homework and make sure you look in to the loaner fully before handing your horse over...if you can't do this then perhaps sell or share.

Hedwards

Visit site
I agree with others who have said wait until he's a bit older, and probably backed, so maybe a sharer in the meantime would be the best option.

I am a loaner - although the owner has dissappeared off the face of the earth - havent seen her for well over a year and even then I had hunted her down. However Connie, the mare I have I adore, and plan to keep to the end of her days, she is retired now, and a big pet (she is also Cob x Arab!) - So permenant loaners are out there, who do things right and care for the horses as if they were their own.

Best of luck with him, and i hope you can sort him out to suit both him and you.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
For every one horror story there are hundreds of loans out there that work out fantastically for everyone involved...you just have to be honest about your horse and your expectations, equally the person loaning your horse needs to be honest about their abilities etc.

As the owner of the horse you should be making regular visits of your horse and if you not happy then give notice and take your horse back...in the back of your mind you always need to be prepared to take your horse back, as all the good will in the world things change.
It makes me angry when i read posts that owners complain that the loan has been returned...well it's your horse and the reason you didn't sell is so you could have a say in your horses future, don't then complain that you have your horse back!!

It's not always the loaners fault a loan doesn't work out and if it doesn't work then it doesn't have to end in disaster...not every loan ends with the horse being sold without the owner knowing, starving or neglected animals etc etc

Before you loan, do your homework and make sure you look in to the loaner fully before handing your horse over...if you can't do this then perhaps sell or share.

In my case it was "You can come and get her on Friday". This was on the Wednesday morning. It may make you angry that I am "complaining" that I have my horse back but I am lucky in that I have my own transport and could rearrange my day on the Friday to be able to pick her up. The person who had her had a signed contract that she was to be delivered to me with 30 days notice - a thing brought up less than 30 days ago when she told me that although she was looking for another horse she "would definitely" give me 30 days notice.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com

^^ This ^^

I've loaned two horses and loaned my own out. The first loan home I sent my pony to didn't work out but thankfully he came back quickly and unscathed (the same couldn't be said about my rugs and tack but that's a different story). The second loan home was wonderful and they bought him after two years, and still have him now. I had a mare on loan for a year and I've had my current horse for 3.5 years. He is basically on permanent loan, his owners have very little interest in him so he's essentially mine.

Loaning can work out well, you just have to be careful about where he goes and check the home thoroughly.

In this case though I think you might be better to sell. I wouldn't take on a 3yo only to have it taken away when the owner decides they either want it back, after all my hard work, or they want to sell and make some money.

Fazzie

Visit site
I think after reading everyones thoughts and experiences that its best just to leave him where he is.
I just want to make sure that his future is secure so if that means staying with us then that's what we will do. I really wasnt going to take him back once broken the whole reason for not selling him was just to make sure he didnt end up in the wrong hands. He is a very special boy and derserves the best.
It just means he may be broken in slightly later but hey ho as long as he's happy and safe that's all that matters :) thank you every one

hudsonw

Visit site
In my case it was "You can come and get her on Friday". This was on the Wednesday morning. It may make you angry that I am "complaining" that I have my horse back but I am lucky in that I have my own transport and could rearrange my day on the Friday to be able to pick her up. The person who had her had a signed contract that she was to be delivered to me with 30 days notice - a thing brought up less than 30 days ago when she told me that although she was looking for another horse she "would definitely" give me 30 days notice.

I had a horse on loan when i was younger that the owner did the same thing to me and although there was meant to be a months notice the owner turned up said she wanted him back as she wanted to do XC with him and took him that weekend...works both ways! It breaks your heart when an owner takes back a horse that you have put so much time, money and treated as if they were your own only to have them taken back at a moments notice.

Yes you were lucky to have the transport etc but on the other hand if you don't have the provisions to have your horse back then sell and you don't have to have that dreaded call that your loaner no longer wants to loan your horse at short notice.

Like i said earlier, for every one horror story there are plenty of happy endings and putting your horse on loan or taking a horse on loan is about communication between both parties and at the end of the day finding a happy home for the horse.