Advice on noseband and bitting (also in comp riders)

Foxyeventing

Visit site
I have a fantastic warmblood gelding, 17.1hh, who is very strong he just blocks you from his mouth there is no softness, Ive been riding him in a plain myler snaffle and a grackle.

Is this dressage legal?

I then jumped him on mon and a friend suggested a Neue sheule copper waterford pelham, and it was fantastic, im a very light rider so it wasnt harsh, but he went fantastically, i mean i had pure control!

So my next question is, would you walk away if you went toview a horse and he was being used in a waterford pelham???

All help and further sugestions greatly appreciated...

wink.gif

maggiesmum

Visit site
It wouldn't bother me how a horse was bitted particularly, i'd rather see a horse balanced and soft in a stronger bit than running through a milder one.

zoon

Visit site
If the myler has no port and no hooks on the cheeks it should be dressage legal, but a grackle noseband is not. A flash or a drop or a plain cavesson would make it dressage legal.

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So my next question is, would you walk away if you went toview a horse and he was being used in a waterford pelham???

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally would depend on what I wanted the horse for, if SJ or XC then I wouldnt mind so much. But if dressage/eventing then Id definately want to try riding it in a snaffle!

davejoiner

Visit site
To be honest I think the whole snaffle fad is silly every horse is different if he/she goes well in a bit then I dont mind what its in. I'd rather have a light happy horse than being pulled and fight every two mins. But I showjump so were not as picky as the dressage people
wink.gif

JosieToby

Visit site
No grakle for dressage. As for the viewing thing I persnally wouldnt walk away because of the bit it was in, especially if it was advertised as a competition horse. Every horse is individual, and better your horse go well in a stronger bit than pulling your arms out in a snaffle. Good luck with him x