Advice on pasture management please

lizstuguinness

Visit site
Hi,

In about two weeks im bringing home my two beautiful new yearling fillies - Tiny and Cardana. I have found a lovely quiet place for them to grow up. Only two other horses, middle aged gelding and elderly mare all on 9 acres of land. Current set up is two perminant fields of equal size (ish) and a large brick barn for shelter. Current land owner harrows fields for worm control and rests one field during the spring/summer to take hay off for winter, then all horses have run of all 9 acres during winter. Grass is good.

I have two options. I can either allow the yearlings to run with the others (once settled in with them) or keep them seperate. Normaly id let them run over all 9 acres however

A) The barn is full of things that stick out, places to get hooves stuck. Its not a safe place for babies! and has the only water supply for the fields.
B) Im not sure i like the idea of just harrowing the fields. The horses are wormed but this sort of management doesnt really work in England, (or does it when you have this much land?) and babies are very subseptible to worms.

So I can either:

A) put up my own fencing, install a water trough and shelter - there is a wooden shelter i can make good for them, poo pick and worm to my own requirements. Labour intensive and expensive.

OR

B) Fence off brick barn, extend current wooden shelter for all horses and install water trough, but have to put up with the harrowing. They have all 9 acres to roam so less problems with mud, and no constantly moving fences to get better grass etc etc.

Or C: stop worying so much, just get a goat so harrowing is fine and horses dont use shelters that much!

I suppose my post is mainly about pasture and worm manangement really, so whats your thoughts on harrowing and worm control?

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Well cann't you move the sticky out things in the barn and rope off, harrowing is ok a lot of farmers do it or you could go round picking up droppings everyday. I would say the 2 youngster will be taught some manners from the older horses. I don't like to worm every so many weeks as the worms I believe are getting inmume to the drugs, a worm count every so often doesn't do any harm. Have you asked the owner can you fence off his field for your youngtsers.

Balibee

Visit site
Firstly congrats on your new babies :D

IMO a 9 acre field with 4 horses on it, I wouldn't have a problem with harrowing. Just get worm counts done regularly and routinely spring and autumn give them Red/Tapeworm wormers.

The yearlings will do well to live in a 'herd' situation so if you can make it work it would be fab.

The barn sounds dangerous for any horse let alone youngsters so I personally would make it as safe as possible.

Good luck with your babies and post some pics!

:)

lizstuguinness

Visit site
Thanks, I do want them all togther as they will be happier - not to mention easier for me! I was just unsure of the harrowing situation. I know its unsuitable for most yard situations but wanted to see if it could be gotten away with concidering the acreage:horse ratio!

Balibee

Visit site
Thanks, I do want them all togther as they will be happier - not to mention easier for me! I was just unsure of the harrowing situation. I know its unsuitable for most yard situations but wanted to see if it could be gotten away with concidering the acreage:horse ratio!

Most yards are on limited turnout so wouldn't work at all. My horse has 2 seperate acres (one for summer and one for winter) I poo pick twice daily during the summer and once daily during the winter.

Your grazing sounds perfect for that kind of set up. I agree with the other poster, routine worming is now considered wrong. A friend and I get worm counts done 3 - 4 times a year and then just tapeworm spring and autumn. So far no wormies and we have been worm counting for 18 months or so now.

:)

Paddy Irish

Visit site
I've pretty much got this set up myself although i only have 7 acres divided roughly into 2 parts, and s/school , i take hay off one part and then the two riding horses roam over most of the rest in winter , i have two shetlands though that i've often thought about having one big herd , but the problem i encountered was feeding two sets with different nutritional requirement , i.e the riding horses get fed and the shets don't , i don't know if your babies will require extra food in winter - will you end up with a big scrap on your hands? Also with regard to worming , we pooh picked pretty much every day , except when the pooh was welded to the ground under snow , used worm counts in spring and paddy's count went from 800 epg to 50 epg , so it does work , we do harrow as well as the boys make a bit of mud in the winter , which needed harrowing and rolling .I would go for the harrowing option and worm counts to see how it's all going , but you may find , living as a herd they might make a couple of favourite pooh spots which would make picking a little less hard work over such a big area. I have to say i'm all for vast turnout in winter , ours did their first winter out with only natural shelter and both did better than ever especially the 19 yr old arab.

lizstuguinness

Visit site
How is a worm count carried out? Ive seen the "DIY home packs" these any good? whats the cost of a worm count and whats the ideal safe range for the count to be/