Advice on sharing and rider insurance

Louise562

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

New to the forum- think I was registered a while ago but not been here for a while!

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice around horse sharing and insurance? I have found a horse to share for hacking out/light schooling and light jumping a few days a week in return for me paying for shoes (owner can't ride for health reasons so wouldn't otherwise have the horse shod). Due to hack out (with company) for the first time at the weekend, have ridden the horse a couple of times in the paddock to try her and she seems like a good match.

Would like to get rider insurance to at least cover public liability before I go on the road at the weekend as I've heard that's a good idea. However some plans also cover emergency vet's fees for the horse if (heaven forbid) she had an accident while I was riding her. Just wondered whether people here think that is a good idea to have included (as those policies are more expensive) or whether the owner would be responsible for vet's fees in that situation? We have no formal share agreement in writing (I know that's a good idea but the owner hasn't asked for that and seems to take quite a relaxed/flexible approach, I'd feel strange pushing for that as I think it's her that would be the one who needs to worry most about not having one as the legal owner of the horse).

Any advice or help appreciated! I've owned my own in the past but never shared before so new to this whole world of sharing. Advice around other things to consider when sharing would be helpful too.

Thanks!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’d just get insurance for piblic liability. Insurance for the horse is the owners responsibility.

Shay

Visit site
Public liability for a sharer is complex becuase liability under the Animal Act is strictly reserved to the owner. Technically even if you caused or contributed to a situation in which there was liability this attaches only to the owner and not to the rider.

As a sharer you might want injury insurance for you. Some rider policies offer cover for horse injury where caused by your negligence - but it is fairly slim. Normally any insurance for the horse is down to the owner only and that type of cover is absolutely full of exclusions and get out clauses. If you wanted to be really "belt and braces" on 3P then join BHS, Harry Hall, WHW or any of the other organisations that offer 3P - but I suspect you will find in thier small print that it only applies to horses you own. But at least your premium will have had other benefits.

Always be careful in buying insurance that it is actually the cver you really need. Don't just read the headlines.

Chappie

Visit site
I've been part loaning a cob for over 5 years and previously did same with a mare for about a year - I've always been with PetPlan for rider insurance, it's about £12 per month. The owners of the horses have paid for insurance and vet's bills. I contribute through monthly payments and other things like shoes, bedding, feed, supplements and equipment. I also do all the daily care, apart from the yard turns out, mucks out in the mornings and brings in.

The owners of the cob didn't want to do a formal agreement, which made me a little wary but it mostly works as the owners are not very involved and I'm a mature lady now I guess, ha ha! and very responsible/conscientious, plus the horse is on a yard where an experienced YO supervises a number of loans, so I can ask her advice if needed.

I hope your share goes well, it sounds promising :) I would say its important to maintain good clear communication with the owners, this is not always as simple as it sounds. Personally I've found it can be a little like being their employee, but I think it is worthwhile doing in the right situation and can work well. I love "my" cob, I'm so lucky to have him, he's a huge part of my life and hope I will have him for years yet.

neddy man

Visit site
If you join The British Horse Society www.bhs.org.uk as a Gold member for £75 year you have 3rd party insurance covering you for any horse in your care . Look on the membership details it gives you a full breakdown of the insurance details.

Kat

Visit site
Please get public liability insurance, even if you don't own the horse you can still be held liable for accidents involving the horse in some circumstances, especially when on the road. It is very cheap via BHS and will give you access to the legal helpline and some limited personal accident insurance too.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, you sound like a wonderful, thoughtful sharer.

Most owners have 3rd party insurance, that will also cover you when you ride or handle the horse.

If you are unsure, the Harry Hall club has cheap 3rd party insurance, which also gives you discount on their products. Once you have bought a couple of pairs of breeches and a jacket I think it works out pretty much free. It is only for people who are not competing unaffiliated.

I totally understand wanting insurance too, World Horse Welfare does a policy for accidental injury that is very cheap compared with standard horse policies. It may be a 'policy of last resort' though, which would mean that if the horse is also insured by the owner, the owner's insurance would have to pay out first.

If you have house contents insurance, you may find that you are already covered for 3rd party on that.

Skib

sites.google.com
I have rider only insurance from the BHS.
I was told by the BHS insurers that only the owner can insure a horse for the vet fees. A sharer whio pays for a share can be contributing to the cost of that premium. But cannot insure the horse themselves.
Insuring for sharing is very unsatisfactory. I gave up negotiations to share one horse as the owner's insurance would not allow any rider over 75. My current share contract puts the onus on me the sharer. I pointed out this was legally impossible, they said not to worry and I signed all the same.
The initial negotiation between an owner and a sharer they dont yet know is probably going to be more problematic than six months down the line.

Brimmers

Visit site
Here's a snapshot of what my Pet Plan rider insurance covers for £6.70 a month. I must admit that I'm not an insurance whizz though so happy for any feedback if it's not the right cover/a waste of money. I have the basic plan.

Attachments

• 20200702_100721.jpg
    20200702_100721.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 18

Kat

Visit site
£1 million is very low for public liability, BHS gold membership includes £30 million for public liability. It costs £6.25 a month or £70 a year. It also has up to £20,000 personal accident cover.

If you were in a road accident that was your fault the claim could very easily exceed £1million and unless you have any other insurance policies then you would be personally responsible for paying any additional amount.

Brimmers

Visit site
£1 million is very low for public liability, BHS gold membership includes £30 million for public liability. It costs £6.25 a month or £70 a year. It also has up to £20,000 personal accident cover.

If you were in a road accident that was your fault the claim could very easily exceed £1million and unless you have any other insurance policies then you would be personally responsible for paying any additional amount.

Brill - thanks for this. I'll look to change pronto!

Reactions: Kat