Advice on sharing my horse...

I See Clover

Visit site
I'm thinking about finding a sharer for my horse as I really need more time to concentrate on university. I have never shared before nor known anyone who has, so was basically just looking for some advice on how I should go about it and where is best to advertise?

A bit of a stupid question... Is it usual for a sharer to pay a proportion of the costs as well as carrying out general chores such as mucking out, bringing in, feeding? Or is it one or the other?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

kc100

Visit site
I'm a sharer and I've had 2 now so I'm fairly well versed in the world of sharing!

In terms of where is best to advertise, I suggest all the usual horsey websites - preloved, equineadverts, horsemart etc. Try your local tack shops, riding schools and newsagents - anywhere you can stick an advert up basically! Be patient though, it can take quite some time before you hear from anyone.

It is up to you whether you want to ask for a financial contribution or not - it depends what is most important to you. If you dont need the money, but care most about her being exercised and looked after by a good person, then dont ask for a contribution. But if the money would be helpful (I'm sure it will when you are at uni) then by all means ask for a contribtion. It depends where you live as to how much you can charge. I currently pay £120 per month (no extra charges for shoes or anything else) and I have him 4 days per week (can be more if I want). I also have access to the lorry to go to competitions, no chores and great facilities at the yard the horse is kept. If your yard doesnt have a school for example then I'd suggest you reduce the price a little. I have for my previous share paid £110 pcm for 4 days (only 3 days of riding though) and that was with full chores on my days, evenings only, and paid £36 every 6 week for shoes. I'm based near Solihull in the Midlands by the way - I think with my first share I was getting ripped off a bit!

I dont think sharers mind doing chores and paying as well, as long as the price reflects how much you are helping out by doing chores. If you had the yard doing those chores it would cost you a lot extra so if the sharers does the chores for you then you are saving money, the sharer is aware of this so dont take the mick and ask for too much of a contribution when they are in fact saving you money.

The key to finding a good sharer is your advert - pictures are so helpful, ideally at least one of you riding your horse. Give a general description of your horse (height, age, breed etc) and how long you have owned the horse. Explain why you are looking for a sharer, and how many days you would like the sharer to have the horse. Explain what chores would be required, and give as many details about the facilities at the yard as possible. Also go over the horse's temperament (what he/she is like to tack up, around other horses etc) and how he/she is to ride. Explain what you normally do with the horse (allrounder, dressage, SJ etc) and what you would like the sharer to do with your horse, and what the sharer CANT do as well (i.e. no hunting, no XC etc). And finally make sure you include the cost, but say it is negotiable (in case someone finds it too pricey but they may be your perfect sharer!).

There are some great sharers out there, but also some people who are a waste of time. Make it clear if your horse isnt suitable for novices that you want someone experienced, and if you dont want your horse to be a happy hacker make that clear too. As I said before, it can take ages for someone to even respond to your advert, let alone finding someone decent, so be patient, make sure your advert is as detailed as possible and fingers crossed someone great will come along who will love your horse as much as you do.

Good luck!

E_Lister

Visit site
Hey,
I have also shared a couple of horses.

1. Older horse, good for me because I wanted to get my confidence up. Hacking ONLY and on yard with no facilities. I was solely responsible for all chores 2 days a week, owner was very strict about how the horse was done. I paid £20 a month.

2. 3 days a week doing all chores on those days (plus putting her other horse to bed) I could do anything I wanted with her, but no facilities on the yard other than a paddock where I could ride in the summer. I used to share lifts with the owner to pleasure rides, but never took her to any shows. Owner fairly relaxed, if horse is happy, she is happy! £40 a month and £17.50 for shoes every time she was shod (about 7 weekly)

I don't mind doing chores, or paying. The norm is that the more chores you do, the less you pay. Also, the more the person can do with the horse, the more they pay.
Hope this helps :)

I See Clover

Visit site
Thank you both for the advice. I find it a bit of a minefield! The yard I am at has good facilities: great grazing with max of 2 per field, large out door arena, small out door arena for when other is in use (YO gives lessons) or frozen and plenty of large fields YO owns to hack or school in. There is good hacking, but no one hacks on our yard and my mare can be a bit of a pleb on her own.

Sharer would only need to go up once a day. In regards to chores, there isn't a lot to do. My mare is skipped out 6 days a week and full muck out once a week with new shavings. It only takes me half an hour or so to do chores, bring in, feed and change rugs!

Sharer could do anything they wanted with her if they are confident. She is BSJA registered, done PC, WH, SH and XC. Would be looking for someone to help out between 3-5 days per week.

In relation to costs, her livery is £64 per week (including hay, bedding, feed and turnout Mon-Fri). She is shod every 6 weeks which is around £40.

How much should a potential sharer be paying for 3,4,5 days per week?

Sorry for long reply... Have no idea what to charge!

Snowysadude

Visit site
I think an average price is 10 for each day....

Depends on where you are in the country but yes round here that's about average! Also I would say depends on the yards facilities and what the sharer has to do, for £10 a day people also do chores and one end of the day or pay more on one of my yards. On the other the horse is out 24/7 but just has hacking and the fields to ride round (with jumps and XC fences) so no chores but dont know many people with paying sharers!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
depends what they are getting for their money? will it be a share or half loan, or is just that you need help due to lack of time?

will they be able to take your horse out to local shows? or will it just be plodding about around the village a couple of times a week?

I've never shared a horse but a friend on my yard had a sharer, because she didn't have time! the sharer done 3 days a week and paid £100 a month, which I personally think was too much, as the owner called upon the sharer most days to do extra as she couldnt get to the yard!

I See Clover

Visit site
Depends on where you are in the country but yes round here that's about average! Also I would say depends on the yards facilities and what the sharer has to do, for £10 a day people also do chores and one end of the day or pay more on one of my yards. On the other the horse is out 24/7 but just has hacking and the fields to ride round (with jumps and XC fences) so no chores but dont know many people with paying sharers!

depends what they are getting for their money? will it be a share or half loan, or is just that you need help due to lack of time?

will they be able to take your horse out to local shows? or will it just be plodding about around the village a couple of times a week?

I've never shared a horse but a friend on my yard had a sharer, because she didn't have time! the sharer done 3 days a week and paid £100 a month, which I personally think was too much, as the owner called upon the sharer most days to do extra as she couldnt get to the yard!

See my previous post ^^ :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Tricky to find a sharer if your horse is difficult to hack, price might have to reflect that. In the midlands £20 a week for 3 days is average. IMHO sharers get a great financial deal !!!

I See Clover

Visit site
Tricky to find a sharer if your horse is difficult to hack, price might have to reflect that. In the midlands £20 a week for 3 days is average. IMHO sharers get a great financial deal !!!

She hacks out fine in company, but is nervy on her own. Although there is no one on my yard who hacks, there is a woman nearby who would be interested, but haven't been out as of yet due to the weather. She will hack out alone but she is nervy and will take the p***, so the rider has to be confident and push her forward.

I'd rather a sharer concentrate more on schooling, jumping, shows etc anyway as opposed to just hacking, generally someone a bit more competitive or seeking to improve their schooling.

I am based in Scotland if anyone has idea of prices up this way!