Advice on storing hay off field

pottamus

Visit site
I have the strong possibility of 100 bales of hay straight off the field when cut over the next few weeks...my problem is storage...or lack of...but dont want to turn down the chance with the current hay problems. I will have to put some of it in my spare stable alongside an already full stable and the rest may have to go in our garage at home...I can get pallets to put it on but was worried about whether it might spoil if there is not enough air getting to it...particularly the stuff in my spare stable...?
I do not want to keep it outside under tarpaulin as I have done that before and it sweated terribly and went horrible.
What are your thoughts...presumably if it is properly dried before bailing, it should be ok?..
Thanks

Nettle123

Visit site
We stored hay in an open fronted garage and spare stable one year, it was fine. We did put a broom handle in the middle of the piles and kept checking it for heating up.

SpruceRI

Visit site
My old hay shed used to be made out of scaffolding with a corrugated tin roof and plastic tarp walls.

I found that if I put pallets on the ground and stacked them up around the edge of the hay so the plastic didn't touch it - room to breathe all round the sides, then it stayed in good condition all winter.

I miss that shed/shack!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Similar to above. Most of mine is on pallets with air round the sides. Never had a problem, yet. I would still put a tarp on the stabled/garaged lot, though. Mine was really dusty by the time I used it last year, so I'll be covering this year's soon, once it's had time to 'cure'.