Advice on stud

humph

Visit site
I'm keen to buy a foal for eventing next year and have been researching some bloodlines. I prefer TB, having been bottle fed on racehorses, perhaps with a small irish or WB injection but def not too much warmblood.

Anyway, I've spoken to and seen photos of offspring from Templar Stud and have been really really impressed by their mares, stallions and helpfulness

Does anyone have any experience of Templar Stud? Obviously, this is such a big decision for me that I want to know all positives and negatives, although so far, I've found nothing to fault them.

Thank you so much

emlybob

Visit site
Have you tried Groomsbridge stud? They have some very nice TB stal;lions and also WB so may have something to sell that is a mix of the two

humph

Visit site
Thanks Patchy, I've had a look at Groomsbridge but didn't see much info on the broodmares. What I really like about the Templar Stud, albeit on a far smaller scale than Groomsbridge, is that the broodmares are either competition horses with a successful eventing background or they are homebred offspring of previously successful eventers who have been kept on just to keep those bloodlines open. For me, having had another quick glance at Groomsbridge, none of their stallions looked to be particularly targeted at the eventing market, or at least didn't have any eventing experience or offspring mentioned (I fully realise that he's a bit young to have offspring out eventing). I freely admit, I've only just had a quick glance back so wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong on that. I agree that they are beautiful looking horses but I particularly would like to buy something that has always been bred with top level eventing in mind.

PS, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Groomsbridge whatsover, just that I think Templar fulfils my needs better. Having said that thank you so much for posting a suggestion. Don't suppose you know anything I might not be aware of, good or bad, about Templar?

sallyf

Visit site
If you would like more info on my broodmares or stallions please email me directly and i can give you more info.
We do breed with eventing in mind and most of our stock either go into this or the showing market as we like to breed horses that are correct as well as hopefully having talent.
My small TB stallion didnt compete due to a serious accident but his mother was a successful Showjumper ,her 1/2 sister i also competed showjumping before selling her where i know she won 15 eventing points before losing track of her.
The other brothers and sisters of my stallions dam all evented or Showjumped at affiliated level .
My bigger stallion is beautifully bred as an event sire being by sadlers well and out of a mare by Fappiano who was for several years the leading sire of eventers in the USA and who has several sons on the same sires list .
My broodmares of which there are only 4 and arnt bred every year have some of the best bloodlines for eventing.
One of my mares is by Poetic Justice who is a leading sire of eventers and showjumpers out of my small stallions dam whose other siblings have been mentioned above.
My other 3 mares are out of a very versatile head stud book graded mare by Inschallah II who needs no introduction as a sire of eventers ,dressage horses and showjumpers and two of them are by a stallion called Tout Ensemble who has produced advanced eventers from few foal .
He is also the dam sire of Fielden classic top the champion young eventer at the british breeding championships at Tweseldown.
The other is by a little TB that went to stand in Ireland and died young but he himself won quite a few races on the flast and over hurdles.
Although we have been around and breeding a while i have mostly concentrated my efforts around building the business with regard to the AI centre and breeding hundreds of horses isnt our way so there isnt that many youngstock about.
One of the eldest who has just turned 6 will be out and about eventing next year but at nearly 17 hands he has been given time to grow.
He is talented though and thought good enough to pure showjump although he is destined to event.
We wont have any foals due this year in 2010 as with the current economic climate i didnt want to risk having too many horses that i couldnt do correctly so my mares all had a year off.
They will all be recovered in march for 2011 foals.
We arnt a massive stud but the stock we breed we pride ourselves that they have had the very best start that they could be given.
I have just sold 2 x 3 year olds and a foal to eventing homes with the minimum of fuss and allkeep sending reports back of being super well behaved and very trainable.
So that is us like i say if you want to know more please do ask .

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
For what it's worth, I had a mare come this year to be covered by my chap who was by Groomsbridge's High Tension. Owner was lucky to get her back
grin.gif
ALL my staff - and I - fell in love with her on sight - she OOZED eventing and moved superbly. And it didn't stop at looks and movement - I'd say she was the EASIEST broodmare to handle and cover we've ever had here - only four years old and with her first (young) foal at foot - fabulous temperament!! Strolled off the trailer and settled in like she'd been here all her life!

humph

Visit site
Wow, thank you all for replying and Groomsbridge, thank you for explaining your horses in detail. I hope you understand I meant no criticism of you or your horses whatsoever, perhaps just that I couldn't find what I was looking for on your website! Sadly because I'm going to be looking for a foal in 2010 and you won't have any (v sensible given the climate, the risk of having foals on the ground when nothings selling) I fear that nothings doing this time around but will certainly bear you in mind in future.

It's particularly pleasing that others on here are so emphatically pro groomsbridge too, particularly Janet because she seems to have such sensible opinions both on here and a classical dressage forum I use.

Out of interest, does anyone have any opinions on Templar - by all means pm me if you prefer. Am keen to know all opinions because I really want to have researched this in as much detail as poss before I commit.

Thank you again so much

sallyf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, thank you all for replying and Groomsbridge, thank you for explaining your horses in detail. I hope you understand I meant no criticism of you or your horses whatsoever, perhaps just that I couldn't find what I was looking for on your website! Sadly because I'm going to be looking for a foal in 2010 and you won't have any (v sensible given the climate, the risk of having foals on the ground when nothings selling) I fear that nothings doing this time around but will certainly bear you in mind in future.

It's particularly pleasing that others on here are so emphatically pro groomsbridge too, particularly Janet because she seems to have such sensible opinions both on here and a classical dressage forum I use.

Out of interest, does anyone have any opinions on Templar - by all means pm me if you prefer. Am keen to know all opinions because I really want to have researched this in as much detail as poss before I commit.

Thank you again so much

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all its just difficult to put that much background on a website.
smile.gif
and obviosly as we have had the family for so long there is a lot of background.
Good luck in finding what you want.
Mind i do know where there is a May I X Fleetwater opposition foal due this year although he probably wont make huge probably around the 15.2/3 mark.
And also another out of a big irish mare that has SJ'd and won at Royal Dublin i think