Advice on the warmest hunt coats

Sabre11

New User
Visit site
Can anyone recommend the warmest hunt coat for ladies, both ratcatcher and black, please? I really feel the cold these days.

There are very expensive vintage ones, but do they have storm cuffs and are they any warmer than a modern one from, say, Equetech?

What do you all wear and what weights are your coats... 'heavyweight', '32oz', '600gm', etc etc... ??

Thank you

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mine is a heavyweight black wool Pytchley with Tattershall? lining, toasty but I don't know how it compares to modern ones, it's 25 years old. I need to sell it if anyone wants to make an offer for it, ladies 38.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
I have a medium weight caldene? I think it has cuffs and a storm flap and the skirt is leather linned.
I then wear plenty of thin thermals underneath and I have a thermatex waits coat that goes under as well, this has been a godsend. Definitely recommend getting one

Sabre11

New User
Visit site
Mine is a heavyweight black wool Pytchley with Tattershall? lining, toasty but I don't know how it compares to modern ones, it's 25 years old. I need to sell it if anyone wants to make an offer for it, ladies 38.
Thanks, that's really helpful. Sadly, not the right size for me otherwise I'd definitely buy.

Sabre11

New User
Visit site
I have a medium weight caldene? I think it has cuffs and a storm flap and the skirt is leather linned.
I then wear plenty of thin thermals underneath and I have a thermatex waits coat that goes under as well, this has been a godsend. Definitely recommend getting one
Thank you, and I like the sound of the Thermatex waistcoat, sounds exactly what I need.

Paddy UK

New User
Visit site
I have much the same as ycbm. Mine is 23 years old and longer than many of the newer types.

Worn with an Under Armour long sleeve "Cold Gear" compression top underneath. They have great wicking properties. Prevents overheating but keeps the wearer snug on the coldest days. As they are Polo Necked, stocks remain in place as normal.

Also as compression tops, they stay smooth, never ride up and the length also provides warmth to the derrier.

Best of all there is a Heat Gear version for warmer days.

PoniesRock

Visit site
I have a shires one, can’t remember which model it is, but it’s new to me this season. Have to say after spending the last however many seasons in a very second hand jacket, I’m really noticing the difference this season with my new jacket. It’s sooo nice that the ‘waterproof’ outer actually works! And it takes a fair bit of rain for it to actually get through - even if it does feel like it weighs ten tonnes by the end of the day!

Sabre11

New User
Visit site
I have a shires one, can’t remember which model it is, but it’s new to me this season. Have to say after spending the last however many seasons in a very second hand jacket, I’m really noticing the difference this season with my new jacket. It’s sooo nice that the ‘waterproof’ outer actually works! And it takes a fair bit of rain for it to actually get through - even if it does feel like it weighs ten tonnes by the end of the day!

Really helpful, thanks. Yes, i reckon I'll go for a new one rather than an old one that's lost it's waterproof-ness.

PoniesRock

Visit site
Really helpful, thanks. Yes, i reckon I'll go for a new one rather than an old one that's lost it's waterproof-ness.

Absolutely worth splashing out and buying new. I never bothered before thinking it didn’t make much difference, but it really does. And like someone mentioned above, buy a size too big to allow for the extra layers of thermals/waistcoat ect.