advice on towing please ,urgent

sue12345

Visit site
Tomorrow hubby and i are collecting a 2 yr old 11hh welshie, have towed before but not with anything on board . Really need guidence and advice on tying up etc. Little fella is very quiet and timid. Taking a hay net, head collar and rope, some bailing twine to tie up to and a lungeline incase of loading problems..

skint1

Visit site
Travel him on the right hand side, it is supposed to be safer-something to do with road cambers.

Brake sooner than you would normally, take corners/roundabouts slower. I tend to not go over 50 when towing so if I can I pull in a few times on a journey to let cars go by me. Don't brake suddenly or change direction suddenly either, don't do anything suddenly if you can avoid it.

If he doesn't like the look of the trailer you can try opening all the ramps/doors to make it seem lighter and airier. When he loads up give him a lovely treat and lots of positive reinforcement

Make sure the tyres are properly inflated and in good repair, same with the floor and hitchlock.

Good luck!!

sea_view

Visit site
Try not to brake, gear down first, much smoother for the horse. Travel on right hand side and make sure the trailer is all checked over before you go.

cm2581

Visit site
As a guide, you should be able to leave a cup of water on your dash and it won't spill!! This won't apply to off road situations!! If he is not accustomed to tying up, travel him loose.

sue12345

Visit site
What about tieing him up, short or long? Some one said travel him loose but i'm not sure about that. We will be on the road for about an hour and a half.

mainpower

Visit site
When I collected my youngster I travelled him loose without a partition in my trailer. If he's unused to being tied up this isn't really the time or place to teach him! You can wedge/secure straw bales in the nose end if you are worried about him going over or under the breast bar.