Advice on 'traffic proofing' please!

chestnutmarelover

Visit site
Ive just taken on a 5 yr old tb that trained but never raced. Starting from scratch with her because shes been out of work 6 mnths ish. Walked her out in hand on the roads yesterday (we have very busy country lanes with every kind of vehicle :( many of which don't slow down) very on her toes & if things were especially scary (even joggers!) we do high speed reverse (not ideal when theres cars behind but hey!) Wondering if i'm better off leading her with me on foot so I can reassure etc with a traffic proof nag with us or lead her from my mare plus another sensible if poss?! I know this is something that has to be done right from day one so any suggestions are very welcome!!

Suechoccy

Visit site
put her in a field alongside a busy road so that she can graze (with company) and gradually accustom herself to the noise of traffic until she's happy grazing on fieldside nearest road.

be positive

Visit site
Depending on where she was trained she should have seen traffic but is more than likely to have never been out alone, this may be why she was anxious going out alone into the world, being led out for exercise will also be something new so the use of another horse could be all she requires to help her relax. Get her out with a steady horse and it should improve, she may also be more confident with you on her rather than leading, although you may be less so.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
put her in a field alongside a busy road so that she can graze (with company) and gradually accustom herself to the noise of traffic until she's happy grazing on fieldside nearest road.

This has really helped with horses I've had on my land which is next to a wide busy road. Without exception all the horses kept there have improved around traffic and youngsters born there are all traffic proof.

Kat

Visit site
I would leave it until you have a saddle and then ride out. Preferably with a quiet horse that is good to hack and someone on foot.

Then if you get on ok progress to going out with either another horse or a walker.

Traffic proofing isn't something to do alone and I certainly wouldn't ride and lead with a horse that might play up in traffic.

I wouldn't want to lead this horse out either. As an ex racer it has almost certainly been on the roads under saddle just not alone so I would use a sensible hacking buddy. But with a big horse that is not used to being exercised in hand and is not used to traffic I think leading out is risky.

Marydoll

Visit site
Agree with putting into a field nearest the road. Shes possibly never went out anywhere on her own and might be better with another 1-2 steady horses with her. Tbh youre not in control at all when she backs up at speed and are a real hazard to others on the road and if she sits on a car you could end up with real bother

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Totally agree with putting in a field next to a road. My fields are in demand during harvest time because they are long and thin (so horses can't get that far away from the road) and right next to the road which normally is very, very quiet but during silaging/harvest we can have up to 10 tractors and trailers zooming past over the potholes making a hell of a racket and they will go backwards and forwards all day. Friends who have problems with their horses just borrow the field for a day or two and by the end of the day, the horses are so bored with the traffic that it no longer bothers them.

I also agree with riding out with someone else on a traffic proof horse, tuck in the inside and you should find the horse improves no end.

_GG_

Visit site
Field next to road with company.

Work in hand on the yard until saddle and back are sorted.

Hack out on board, but in as much company as possible when saddle and back done.

Almost all horses coming off racing yards are well used to hacking and good in traffic, but they go out in large numbers. Sometimes, only one other horse isn't enough. See if you can arrange group hacks for the first few weeks and gently wean her down to just going out with one or two others. Hacking alone will happen, it will just take a little time and patience.

Start work now with any saddle that kind of fits, not girthed up too tightly, just getting her used to longer stirrups on her sides. Obviously though...not getting on.

Although she hasn't raced, she has still be taught a certain type of riding, so you need to bear that in mind when you ride. She won't be used to long legs on her sides, she'll be used to much shorter stirrup length. She won't be used to being ridden with any contact...in fact, contact for her may well be how she knows she is about to be asked to run.

The best bit of advice I can give anyone taking on anything that has raced or trained is to ride loose. Force yourself to trust that when you are relaxed and loose, the horse will be. You don't need dangerously long reins, but if you hang on to them with nerves, you are very likely to create a very tense horse.

Good luck and have fun with her...what a wonderful time to be getting to know your new friend in this glorious weather.