Advice on vet costs with stumbling/falling horse.

showqa

Visit site
Hello - my 13 year old started to stumble about a month ago. Rested him for a month, and had osteo manipulate as it was thought that C7 could have something to do with it. Osteo did say that there was a lot of soreness, stiffness etc, but bit chicken and egg as to whether that caused the stumbles or was caused by the stumbles. That was just under two weeks ago. Anyway, he had a bad fall on the lunge yesterday (by the way, he has not been ridden since the stumbling appeared), and so I am now having the vet in Monday.

His feet, in terms of balance, are truly excellent and externally he has good feet for sure. The stumble first appeared under saddle, and he was immediately taken off ridden work. Recent stumbles (when he goes to his knees) have been without a rider, so not saddle/bit/rider balance related, on a lunge in walk and working trot. I must admit that I am expecting it to be either arthritic changes or navicular.

Can somebody give me a rough estimate of costs X - rays and nerve blocking please?

He is not insured and money is tight. Please, before anybody jumps on me, my husband left me for another woman and my life collapsed and in fact I let go of my other two horses and a pony as a result. I kept this one because I totally adore him and he is tricky and frankly, other than me, he will meet his maker. So for most of his life he was insured but I simply could no longer afford that.

Any advice/experience you may have to offer would be gratefully appreciated as this really is yet another source of great angst and upset for me.

Thanks in advance.

Morag4

Visit site
Personally I would contact your regular vet and have a word and then compare prices with other equine vets in your area for what you think might need doing. Failing that if you haven't had a vet out that has given you an idea of what might need doing diagnositcally I would do that, I know it will cost for a consult exam but then you might have a better idea of what you need to cost out to get to the bottom of the isse.

popsdosh

Visit site
Hello - my 13 year old started to stumble about a month ago. Rested him for a month, and had osteo manipulate as it was thought that C7 could have something to do with it. Osteo did say that there was a lot of soreness, stiffness etc, but bit chicken and egg as to whether that caused the stumbles or was caused by the stumbles. That was just under two weeks ago. Anyway, he had a bad fall on the lunge yesterday (by the way, he has not been ridden since the stumbling appeared), and so I am now having the vet in Monday.

His feet, in terms of balance, are truly excellent and externally he has good feet for sure. The stumble first appeared under saddle, and he was immediately taken off ridden work. Recent stumbles (when he goes to his knees) have been without a rider, so not saddle/bit/rider balance related, on a lunge in walk and working trot. I must admit that I am expecting it to be either arthritic changes or navicular.

Can somebody give me a rough estimate of costs X - rays and nerve blocking please?

He is not insured and money is tight. Please, before anybody jumps on me, my husband left me for another woman and my life collapsed and in fact I let go of my other two horses and a pony as a result. I kept this one because I totally adore him and he is tricky and frankly, other than me, he will meet his maker. So for most of his life he was insured but I simply could no longer afford that.

Any advice/experience you may have to offer would be gratefully appreciated as this really is yet another source of great angst and upset for me.

Thanks in advance.

Be very honest with your vet from the outset about your situation it may mean that they will be able to give you an opinion rather than a lot of expense and really listen to what they are telling you! It may be what you think but they would not be my first point of call. However the most important thing for you is not to waste money if you can help it hand in hand with having some idea of prognosis.

showqa

Visit site
Thank you both.

Other than vax, this is the first time I have had to use a vet since moving him to a livery yard closer to where I now live. So I don't actually have any history with this vet, although others on the yard have recommended them to me.

Of course, I will do my level best for my horse whom I love dearly, but I also cannot conjure up money that I simply don't have and especially as I still have on-going legal costs. I have made them aware that money is an issue though.

Again, thanks.

PorkChop

Visit site
I agree with popsdosh, have a frank chat with your Vet that whilst you obviously want to do the very best for your horse, you are not in a position presently to be able to fund lengthy diagnostics.

With regards to costs of nerve blocking and x-ray costs, it depends if your Vet has a good idea on what area might be causing the problem.

For a complete block of a leg working from the bottom up I was charged about £700 all in. X-rays are usually around the £300 mark including sedation per area.

Really hope you find the area that is causing the problem quickly, horses are such a worry, sending you a hug too just because I think you need it :)

showqa

Visit site
Thank you Pork Chop. I do appreciate your kindness. I must admit, this is feeling like the final straw really. On top of my husband leaving, my mother was diagnosed with cancer in May last year and I lost my dear old dog in August, who I had had with me for 13 years. It has really been two years of unrelenting, sheer hell and not being able to offer my dear horse the very best (as I once could) makes me feel like a complete and utter failure.

Thank you.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree be honest with the vet .
Your in a tight spot and minimally you need advice on how to manage the horse in a welfare friendly way .
The cost of a work up is as long as a piece of string if the vet assess the horse and finds pain quickly it should not cost a lot .
I hope you get a simple answer have a hug rotten place to be .

Beausmate

Visit site

Thanks in advance.

Thank you both.

Other than vax, this is the first time I have had to use a vet since moving him to a livery yard closer to where I now live. So I don't actually have any history with this vet, although others on the yard have recommended them to me.

Of course, I will do my level best for my horse whom I love dearly, but I also cannot conjure up money that I simply don't have and especially as I still have on-going legal costs. I have made them aware that money is an issue though.

Again, thanks.

Could the move have any bearing on the stumbling? Have you changed farrier?

showqa

Visit site
Thanks for your message Beausmate.

I don't think so. He has changed farrier, but really his foot shape hasn't changed at all. He's been at this yard for about a yard and he seems very relaxed and settled there, so really think that there is something more onerous.

SusieT

Visit site
if money is tight I am amazed you let a chiropracter(who if there is a problem with vertebrae or ANY undiagnosed problem causing stumbling should have been saying send to vet) and PAID a chiropracter rather than a vet to examine your horse.
That money could be put towards proper diagnostics.

showqa

Visit site
Hello Susie T - an initial consultation with a well respected osteo - if that had solved the issue - would actually have been a very cost effective and non - invasive way of treating the problem. The osteo was in fact treating other horses on the yard, and done so successfully. As it happens, clearly my horse has a bigger issue and hence, why I am exploring it further.

It might be prudent for you to think before being quite so judgmental of others, and I note that actually, rather than offering any useful advice to someone reaching out for it, you are instead rather too quick to condemn.

Cecile

Visit site
Be very honest with your vet from the outset about your situation it may mean that they will be able to give you an opinion rather than a lot of expense and really listen to what they are telling you! It may be what you think but they would not be my first point of call. However the most important thing for you is not to waste money if you can help it hand in hand with having some idea of prognosis.

Absolutely this!

Only thing I can say is someone came to my yard many years ago, she had a PBA of 29yrs old with some health/weight/dental and other isssues the owners life had taken a bad turn and she was not only trying to look after a young child but also trying to keep herself upright with 3 cleaning jobs and other part time jobs. She was not as strong as you sound and was sort of burying her head in the sand, totally not how you sound at all.
I contacted my vet about a payment plan and keeping things to a minimum (They are not all Charlatons), farrier about reduced rates, sponsorship for her teeth (What was left) and contacted a few feed companies
Not one person turned me down because I laid it directly on the table

All it took was honesty and that shines through with you

Everyone at some point in their lives needs a bit of help and sometimes all it takes is asking for it ~ no you don't have insurance ~ no you don't have the finances to run endless tests but you need a bit of help at this time, how about going along to the vet surgery to have a chat without the call out/consultation, throw your idea's around on the problem and if he/she thinks they can help go from there

SusieT

Visit site
no it would indeed not have resolved the problem - osteopaths are NOT legally allowed to diagnose so your osteo is not well respected- he is a cowboy.

DD265

Visit site
I spent £1500 on lameness investigations in 2008. These included a stay at the clinic, nerve blocks and x-rays. At this point my horse had had a couple of falls but had never been a sure footed native, and he was diagnosed with arthritic hocks and coffin joints. I don't appear to have a copy of the bill for the injected coffin joints, but it cost £300 for the steroids injected into the hocks.

In 2010 I spent £415 on ataxia investigations at Leahurst, this was basically the cost of X-rays of his neck. Diagnosis was Wobblers caused by arthritis in C6 or C7, I can't remember which. There was no treatment available.

asmp

Visit site
I had a lameness workout at my vets last year. I told her he wasn't insured anymore so it was just a basic look, which only cost about £40 (she said it was probably a bruised sole. Think she was correct as got him shod on the backs and he was a lot happier.). She did say that they would do it step by step if it wasn't that to keep costs down.

I also saved on the call out fee by taking the horse to the vets.

showqa

Visit site
Thank you all for your good advice and support. It's appreciated, and nice to know that there are some good folk out there.

showqa

Visit site
Just an update, out of respect for your support.

The vet has totally ruled out ataxia as he passed the ground tests she uses. She is thinking it's in the foot - both feet (she didn't use the word, but of course navicular screams out to me). Anyway, I am taking him in for nerve blocks and, potentially, x - rays. She is fully aware and understanding of my finances and will be mindful of it and consult with me every step of the way.

Not the best day really.

Thanks.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Just an update, out of respect for your support.

The vet has totally ruled out ataxia as he passed the ground tests she uses. She is thinking it's in the foot - both feet (she didn't use the word, but of course navicular screams out to me). Anyway, I am taking him in for nerve blocks and, potentially, x - rays. She is fully aware and understanding of my finances and will be mindful of it and consult with me every step of the way.

Not the best day really.

Thanks.

It could have been worse .
But of course it's not good .
All the best with it .

cauda equina

Visit site
Mine was trippy. Nerve blocks localised pain to his feet, X rays showed arthritis in both fronts. Diagnosis and coffin joint injections cost about £500.
Just had all shoes off and no stumbling since.
Good luck with yours

Andalucian

Visit site
I suspected this from your vet to be honest given the tripping issue.
To save you money, there are a good few of us who could give you advice on the feet if you put up some photos.

Remember to have a problem in both feet is not unfortunate, it's man made. It is most probably fixable too.

Tnavas

Visit site
Keep on with the chiro treatment - it may take several sessions to settle it all. Your horse may have done the initial injury out in the paddock, slipping over in mud, goofing around, you just never know.

One of mine was eventually manipulated under general anaesthetic and never looked back