Advice on whether to sell or lease....

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
My welsh pony has been on lease to a lovely family for a year now and I already have a queue of people lined up to lease him this year if they didnt want him.

They origionally looked at him to buy last year and agreed on £2000 but ended up leasing him for £1000 per year instead.

Now they have decided they actually want to buy him as cant bear to part with him, and have offered me £1500 on top of the £1000 they paid last year. I dont know what to do now. He has spent the last year doing all PC activites and has proven to be 100% PERFECT in everyway ridden by a 5yr old off the leadrien. I know the have put in all the time and money but he is now worth more than he was last year, and if I were to sell him now I would expect to get at least £2500 for him, meaning he had made me £3500 in total. So letting them have him for another £1500 doesnt really make business sense, however I can see it from thier side too....

So what should I do? I would rather they have him, but loathed to let him go for that amount as he is a truely amazing pony, and I have to think with my business head on (even if I do love him to pieces!)

Thoughts?

ladyearl

vvv
Hmm difficult one, and I can definately see both points.

I think a good comprimise would be £2000 now. They have added value but so could anyone who had leased him for the last year. You would know he's going to a good home - so a £500 hit for each of you seems fair.

Booboos

Visit site
Is this Spooks??!! He is the cutest pony and I often wondered how he was getting on.

I am a softy and if it is a good home I would be letting him go for 1,500...

debsflo

Visit site
not being very good at head ruling heart i would let him stay with the people who have him and you dont have the stress and time to find a new owner and you can be confident hes happy.money is not everything.

FrecklesMum

Visit site
Point out you have had a lot of people ask about him and that he is now worth a lot more and then suggest a middle mark of £2,000 cash now.

cellie

Visit site
There are two ways to look at it Financailly or with ponies best interests at heart.Do you think they would keep him for long time or would child grow out of him then look to move him on herself.
I had similiar with pony we loaned she was bought for £1000 by owner but worth £3500 by the time we had finished with her .She went home to owner who takes her out for weekend hacks.
Take into consideration the money they have spent on his schooling and upkeep to get him to the point of being valued at higher figure .I think I would try a compromise.
grin.gif

Aru

Visit site
id agree with freckles mum go 2000 with them if you want to keep himin a home you know...
if there not willing to do that then they clearly dont want to keep him that much!....
but to be honest id tink somone offering only 1500 for that good of a pony is a bit of a joke esp if you no he could be leased out again easily or sold for a lot more.Good ponys are hard to come across regardless of recession times!......the fact that they paid to loan him is irrelevent thay had a chance to buy then and didnt take it...
besides if they sell him on in the future when the kid outgrows him they will probly make much more than 1500 on him....

welshied

Visit site
I would sell to them as it seems pretty cheeky to put price up if they did all the hard work but i would try and get the price up if they like him that much they should pay a little more but at least you know he will be well looked after and not sold on or someone that doesn't get on with him etc

moneypit1

Visit site
Don't be greedy. He is worth the inflated amount partly because of them. Let him go to a good home and be happy and content with that. Equals..............everybody is happy all round.

millitiger

Visit site
i think you should allow them to buy it for the £1500 on top of what they have paid. they have put the work in and improved the pony to make him worth more.

can you imagine if someone posted on here from the loanees POV? we would all be aghast at someone putting the price up after they had done the work

Bossanova

Visit site
I would let them have him for that- theyre the ones who have put the work in over the past year and upped his value

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would let them have him for that- theyre the ones who have put the work in over the past year and upped his value

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i agree with this, you would have made 2500 in total as it were so i think thats fair, sounds like they are very happy with him, a truly good home is sometimes hard to find too

SpruceRI

Visit site
You'll have made £500 extra on him as you were only going to sell him for £2000 in the first place.

I'd let him go to them for the price they've offered, but then I don't have a business head where horses are concerned!!