Advice please about my yearling who's had a rough start in life!

caro72

Visit site
Hi, I'd really like to get some advice regarding my youngster. I'll keep it as brief as I can! I bought him a year ago, he'd been found in an allotment shed, alone, frightened, underweight, I suspect removed from mum too soon. (He'd been won in a pub bet...)
I'm unsure of his exact age, maybe 20 months or so. He was bought by someone on my yard who tended to buy and then get fed up of & sell her horses for spurious reasons, and she wanted to get rid of him after only a couple of months.

I ended up buying him, partly because I was worried where the poor thing would end up next. I've never had a youngster before, but he was so timid and seemed to need some security (his previous owner was very harsh with him, a lot of shouting and hitting) and a stable routine. A year on, in lots of ways, hes a dream - he comes to call, he's very gentle and quiet, he's not anxious or timid, he's not bothered by my kids/ dogs/ any of the other animals/ general chaos resident on the yard - I obviously havent done much with him, he sometimes walks out with me when my children are riding, I let him plod round the yard after me, or just spend time with him, which he seems to enjoy.

But he has always seemed withdrawn and 'switched off' to me, particularly as he's a standardbred; the ones I've known have always been quite a handful!
I never see him running/ bucking/ playing in the field, he always plods about, head down. He seems to need his stable for security - he dislikes being out in the field, unlike my other two, and will often try to come back in after he's been put out - is this something other people have experience of with youngsters? Is it due to his rough start in life, or is it normal?
Any ideas what can I do to help him would be gratefully received! And sorry, this post ended up being more lengthy than I'd hoped! x

caro72

Visit site
I do, but posting them might be a challenge - will try! I'm just hoping he's normal and laid back, he's known on the yard as the 'dope on a rope', but he just seems too too quiet to me!

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Well mine is like a 20+ retiree...............make the most of his laid back attitude

On another note I am assuming he has been on a good worming programme as worms can easily take hold if they have had a poor start in life- this can make them feel down.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I can not access the link..........try photobucket and paste IMG code if you have an account - not many people commented due to week night but we all like to see newcomers to HH ( and especially any piccies ) **Welcome**

Mackenzie6

Visit site
Hi,

I bought a stunning pony to escape from the meat man who was only 6 months old and utterly ferrel and taken from his mum to the sale in the same day..... He was terrified of people in the begining but soon after he was in a routine and I spent time with him he became the sensible babysitter for my other youngsters !, a true angel !. He was beautifully marked piebald colt with correct paces and was sold to a fabulous home advertised in the horse and hound very quickly. I commend you so much for giving your lovely horse a chance !...... I wish you the best of luck !

caro72

Visit site
Thank you Mackenzie6, its so good to hear other people's experiences, especially with such a lovely outcome for your pony. There are so many awful cases out there, I just dont understand how people can treat horses (or any animal) this way. He is lovely, so gentle I can let my kids feed him etc, I just worry about him but maybe that's just the way he is!

Clodagh

Visit site
He looks a cutie.
Does he like other horses? Or has not having had much to do with them when young affected him, do you think?
My youngster (now 4, and I bred him myself so he has wanted for nothing) is a dope on a rope, so easy and laid back, so don't worry too much. Enjoy!

caro72

Visit site
Thank you, he is very sweet. He's not too bothered about the others in the herd - his one pal in the field was killed in a road accident last year, he's been a bit lost since then :(

mynutmeg

Visit site
He't cute - it may simply be the way he is. Milo is about 9 months and very laid back, he comes cantering over occasionally when I take his dinner down but more often than not just moseys on over and is quite chilled about everything in general