advice please horse has turned into monster when turning out!

lincolnlady

Visit site
hi everyone just after some advice im on diy and i share b/i and t/o with the lady who owns horse in stable next door. she turns out and i bring in in the evening. this morning she text me and said dont know whats up with your boy but past few days he has been funny to turn out throwing head around, barging into me then today he just stopped and reared up. she said he seems p****d off for some reason.

he hasnt been ridden for about 6 weeks due to being lame for 2 weeks then i was on holiday for a week then he lost a shoe and now hes had shoes off (about 3 weeks ago) so hes had a lot of time off. the y/o put the horse into another field last week and its really lush green grass. he has one haynet at night and half a scoop of 16+ no treats or extra feed. he is 21 years old (doesnt look or act it) 16.3 tb. he has done this in the past at old yard with me but since moving to this yard (a year and half ago) he hasnt done it.

i told the lady who turns him out that if she wants me to i will turn him out as i dont want her getting hurt. she said she that when she turns them out she will do it one by one instead of walking them both out together and see if he calms down. i think he might just be playing up due to not being ridden but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

thank you :)

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Wouldn't have thought there was too much in the grass at this time of year but it may be compounding the lack of work. However sounds like he is not being subtle:) Can you lunge him and see how he is if you can't ride out yet ? Also are there any similar circumstances with when he was naughty at the last place i.e. time of year etc?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd swap over for a bit and do the turning out yourself - so that you can see what's going on.

What time does she turn out? And does he have hay left in the mornings?

lincolnlady

Visit site
Wouldn't have thought there was too much in the grass at this time of year but it may be compounding the lack of work. However sounds like he is not being subtle:) Can you lunge him and see how he is if you can't ride out yet ? Also are there any similar circumstances with when he was naughty at the last place i.e. time of year etc?

hi thank you for your reply it was at a similar time of year when we had quite bad snow on the ground. i lunged him today and he was fine :confused: x

lincolnlady

Visit site
I'd swap over for a bit and do the turning out yourself - so that you can see what's going on.

What time does she turn out? And does he have hay left in the mornings?

she turns out about 6am he doesnt go in until about 7pm he always has about quarter of a haynet left i said i will turnout over the weekend (sat/sun) as im working tomoro morning so cant get to yard :( she is very very capable and i know hes not just pushing his luck with her because her horse can be an even bigger ass so i know she can handle him. i brought him in and gave him a good going over checking legs head belly feet etc then lunged him and he was fine? xx

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I would lead him by himself and use a bridle rather than headcollar for a few days and see if he settles down again. My TB, who has also been out of work for a few weeks was like this last week, def the grass with him and the weather changing a bit, he's quite a lazy horse and not given to wasting energy but when the grass has a spurt and the seasons change he perks up for a day or two!

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
I'm sure the old hands will be on soon but when my new one proved to be such a handful someone suggested magnesium deficiency. Hmm if he has done this before at the same time of year, let's see what the others say but as there was snow last time it could equally just be lack of work again.

lincolnlady

Visit site
Time to get him back in to work by the sounds if it.

this is my thoughts exactly but i just dont have any spare time at the moment. i feel so guilty that he hasnt been getting ridden but im working all the hours i can to pay off vet fee from when he was lame pay car tax/rent/council tax and the rest of the bills! id love to get a sharer for him but the last one put me off!!! more hours in day please?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Can you go up & watch her turnout? However capable she is there could be something slightly different she does that is enough to trigger him. And perhaps trial him without the 16+, I find a lot of veteran mixs high in energy.

lincolnlady

Visit site
Can you go up & watch her turnout? However capable she is there could be something slightly different she does that is enough to trigger him. And perhaps trial him without the 16+, I find a lot of veteran mixs high in energy.

thank you all so much for your replies. he usually does have magnesium around this time of year (have even just ordered it last week lol) also she has been turning him out for a year (not long after we moved there) hes been on 16+ for about 3 years now from when i spoke with nutritionist (i speak to her once a year and said he was fine as hes such a good doer) i think i will maybe give him the magnesium when it turns up and im due a few days off soon so will start doing more work with him and see if something changes.

thank you all for replying :)