Advice please - my showjumper is going showing!

Starzaan

Visit site
RIGHT,

so, as most of you know, my darling Roy boy is getting very old now, and obviously can't do as much as he used to. He's an ex Grade A sj and puissance horse, who has competed all over Europe, so obviously at the grand old age of 28 his legs are a bit iffy. He loves hunting, and so will be going out for an hour or so at a time for a few days this season, but he misses going to parties.

Before I got ill we were going out to the odd showjumping competition during the summer to keep him happy, and we'll do the odd SJ class now that I'm well enough to jump again, but I'd really like to get him out and about a bit more, so I thought I'd do a few ridden veteran classes with him.

Nothing massive, I don't want to get to HOYS or anything! I just want him to have some fun -he loves being plaited up and going to parties, and I think these would be parties that he could go to more regularly than showjumping parties.

Soo.... I have never had any interest in showing before. I've evented, and have worked in pretty much every sphere apart from showing - I know nothing! What on earth do I wear? What on earth should he wear? Do we have to do anything in particular, or do we just ponce around a bit?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've added a photo of him (he's the grey, the miserable black sod was not amused about posing after a morning's cubbing!) so that you can get the idea. He has brown tack as I loathe black, but apart from that I'm pretty much easy.
ETA - his tail is pulled and although his mane NEVER seems to grow, it's plaitable!

225113_10150179912597541_516807540_7235711_561950_n.jpg

MillionDollar

Visit site
He's lovely. I would aim him at some Veteran classes (and you can qualify for Olympia ;)). I'm not the best person to ask re. what to wear etc, but I would say brown tack, I would get him going in a pelham with 2 reins (take the curb chain off if it's not needed) as it looks much smarter, straight cut saddle, if you need a numnah, make sure it fits the saddle and it also brown. He should be plaited and have his tail either plaited or pulled. You should wear tweed jacket (I think?), gloves to much (brown?), velvet hat, beige breeches, long boots.

He needs to work in an outline and then you'll walk, trot and canter each rein (might gallop) with everyone else. Then you're pulled in to line. Then you'll do an individual show including the above. Depending on show you might have to strip him and trot him up in-hand, and also a judge might ride him (although not sure for veterans?).

Good Luck and report back here :D

Lolo

Visit site
Al wears her eventing gear when she does her RoR stuff- tweed jacket, cream shirt, red spotty tie, pale canary jods, skull cap with navy velvet silk, brown gloves and black boots. Reg has brown bridle with a big velvet browband (honestly, it's enormous and still looks like he's not blingy enough when you see the others!), a neat brown numnah and a straight cut brown saddle.

I'd do veterans and maybe Riding Horse on him? He's very sweet looking!

Starzaan

Visit site
Thank you everyone! He hunts in a double bridle at the start of the season because otherwise he'd dislocate my arms, so a pelham with two reins shouldn't be a problem at all.

He's actually pretty impressive in the school, but we'll have to work on not having tantrums due to lack of presence of showjumps in the school! I'll get on it, and report back.

It's also partly for me too, as my youngster isn't ready to go eventing yet and the black creature is an ex-racehorse who is taking a loooooong time to re-school (we're almost at the two year mark) as he had raced until he was twelve, so it was about as ingrained as it gets! It'll be nice to do something other than showjumping him for a change, and I think he'll love it.

God knows how I'll get back on if I have to strip him for a trot up though.....he's 17.2hh and not terribly good at standing still.

Lolo

Visit site
Have a legger-upper in with you :D Reg requires pinning down in a very subtle way, lol! If he goes well in a double then go with the double- Reg goes in a snaffle though, as he's not keen on the 'grown up' bits!

Starzaan

Visit site
Have a legger-upper in with you :D Reg requires pinning down in a very subtle way, lol! If he goes well in a double then go with the double- Reg goes in a snaffle though, as he's not keen on the 'grown up' bits!

God... I've not had a leg up for a long time. I'm not terribly springy, and the OH is known for flinging people over the other side. We may have to have a practice!

Starzaan

Visit site
Roy is 28! :eek: He looks great! For his age!

Absolutely no helpful suggestions but you have a stunning pair there! Best of luck with your showing!

And glad to hear you feel well enought to get out doing stuff again!

Why thank you sexpants! We're not going with the hopes of qualifying for anything, or even getting a rosette. I just want to do some fun things with him while we still can, and I know he'll enjoy prancing about being admired.

Snogs all up in your grill!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Double bridle, plus pretty browband for him
Tweed jacket, shirt, tie, brown gloves, cane/whip, navy hat - prefereably velvet, if not a cover will do

Super smart, neat and clean is the order of the day, so making sure your hair is neat & tidy (hair drives me mad!). Tie pin to keep tie neat and tidy

Saddle with a discreet numnah, I'd put a leather girth on him, rather than a white one.

No galloping for veterans!!

humblepie

Visit site
They both look lovely. Unless you are doing the VHS classes (and even in some of them) you are unlikely to have to get off, strip (the horse that is not the groom or rider) and trot up in hand. Most local shows don't bother with that and whilst I have only done a couple of VHS ones, think even in those the judge just asked for the individual show to start off by walking away and trotting back so that they could see the movement that way.

Going back to the stripping, OH used to like to be asked if he was "stripping today" as in was he grooming for me or was someone else.....

For fun, you could also do things like competition horse, riding club horse, turn out classes once you truly get the showing bug.

Have fun.