Advice please needed on sale of horse

harmony5

Visit site
I am a private seller and due to personal circumstances i have sold a youngster who was recently gelded and its still healing. I told the buyer this on the phone and when they came out they were happy with him, i did say at the time when they looked at him if your not happy with him dont buy him and im more than happy to hang onto him and wait for someone else to come along.

Anyway she gets the horse home same day and texts me saying his got pus coming out of the castration scar and had to get the vet and apparently he has an infection which i did not see any evidence of.

Anyway, i said to her well im totally happy to come and pick him up and give her all the money back for him as shes obviously not happy with him. She wants to keep him and me to foot the vets bill, which im not preapred to do. I want him to come home and i will get my vet to him and treat him and find another home for him when hes over the problem. She is sending very strong texts and causing me a lot of distress and worry and not the home i wanted for him

Please advise to what you think about the situation? and if you think what i have offered to do is fair? and bearing in mind i am a private seller does she have come back on me?

missyme10

Visit site
I would personally stick to your guns. You're being more than reasonable offering to take him back and give her a full refund.
If she doesn't want this, then its her horse and her vet bill.
These things happen, a lot of sellers certainly wouldn't offer to take him back thats for sure.

I'd personally make sure you have evidence that you have offered to take him back and offered a full refund, then she's little chance chasing you for vet fees at a later date x

harmony5

Visit site
I would personally stick to your guns. You're being more than reasonable offering to take him back and give her a full refund.
If she doesn't want this, then its her horse and her vet bill.
These things happen, a lot of sellers certainly wouldn't offer to take him back thats for sure.

I'd personally make sure you have evidence that you have offered to take him back and offered a full refund, then she's little chance chasing you for vet fees at a later date x

Thanks for the adivce/help. I have atleast 4 texts meassages i have sent her saying i will come and pick him up and pay her the money she paid for him back. I personally think im being really reasonable as im difficult circumstances myself hence why i had to sell him which i wrote clearly in the advert was the reason for selling him.

Maybe i should try and write a letter stating that i am happy to take him back and pay money back? I do have her postcode that she gave me as originally she wanted me to drop him off.

harmony5

Visit site
If they have paid for him it is not your responsibility. Did they have a vetting before purchase?

No, she did not get a vetting done. She viewed him with 2 other friends. She had a good look all over him and was happy. But just as we loaded him she began to start make little complaints and i said look if you are not happy with buying him i am more than happy to keep him and wait for someone else to come along.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
If you have her proper address, send a letter (recorded/registered) and say you'll have him back and refund the money, but that you won't pay his vet bills whilst she owns him.

Hope it works out okay for all.

nativetyponies

Visit site
This is where "private sales" get messy.

i had a similar problem to this...bought a gelding at leominster sale a few years back, and had to get a vet to him as his castration area was inflamed..called Leo Office monday morning, who contacted Vendor who immediately offered 50% of any Vet bill...

i sent faxed vet bill to Leo...chq from vendor by return post.

THATS how it should be...

i think you offer up a token payment TBH...because if you..or anyone who has answered here, was the BUYER of this animal, the story on here would be different..infact good old HHO'ers would be baying for blood!

DollyCoblet

Visit site
I would stick to your gun's and and continue to offer a full refund for return of the horse and get him sorted in your care, why should you have to foot her vet bill's. Horse could have picked up a bacterial infection from being at her yard if conditions are overly dirty, strange bacterium?
Horses are horses and things happen would she be wanting you to foot the bill if he had caught a cold or got a foot abcess?
Think you are being more than fair, trading standards would state you need to send a letter via recorded mail.
Good luck with i all, what a horrible situation.

Tinypony

Visit site
Get some legal advice from your insurance company tomorrow. There is no need to panic and act in haste on a Sunday, just wait and get some advice. Stop texting now.

soulfull

Visit site
This is where "private sales" get messy.

i think you offer up a token payment TBH...because if you..or anyone who has answered here, was the BUYER of this animal, the story on here would be different..infact good old HHO'ers would be baying for blood!

I was just thinking the same myself. I can imagine what it would be like on here if you were the buyer

Dancing Queen

Visit site
sold as seen, you told her, she was happy - have you sent her a text offering full refund? if so take photocopies of the texts you have sent and she has sent to you with the dates and times showing.

I would send he one back saying if you are not happy with the youngster I am happy to give you a full refund and i will collect him on x day. AND then leave it.

I would not text her back again until you have spoken to a solicitor (first 20 mins is generally free- well by me anyhow before someone says its not!) get a feel for the legal aspect, but I dont think she has a leg to stand on to be honest.

I would not offer a token payment either as that coule be seen that you accept that you are to blame somewhat.

dont do anything until you have spoken to someone who knows the law and practices it.

DONT STRESS!