advice please - new pony and possible cushings?

mavandkaz

Visit site
right i will try to keep this short, but looking for general ideas as to what could be wrong - if anything. will obviously speak to vet as well if no improvement.

so a new little shetland arrived last saturday to join by horse and other shettie. she is the daughter of original shetland and about 20-22yrs old. I noticed straight away that she had quite a long coat, not quite curly but definately wavey, although she was wet. anyway, settled in fine and all happy with the shetlands in their own little patch. got up this morning shetlands had got in with big horse - not a problem. new shetland was covered in mud and very wet. noticed she was shivering a little.
so fed and hayed them, all in together. shetlands now have full access to field shelter so thought she was probs a little cold from the mud and rain but could warm herself up with shelter and hay.
so now to the problem - just been out to feed and hay again and noticed she is still shivery/shakey. she has a fairly think coat, but it is very fine. compared to her mum who is fluffy and has completely dried out, this one is still wet, and in areas is wet right through, despite no rain since during the night. so have given her a quick groom to get off wet mud, and put a rug on her in the hope she is just cold and will warm up. she is quite happily tucking into hay and bright in herself.

sorry for the ramblings, and to the main point - could there be something wrong with her other then getting on a bit? the wavey coat has made me think of cushings, although would it be such a fine coat? i don't know how much she is drinking as they all share drinkers. what other symptoms are there? am new to shetlands, especially old ones, but have had the mother for over a year now and she is quite hardy although i do spoil her. are some shetlands just softer and feel the cold more? Its been about 6C here and the wind has dropped so not cold. could i feed her something to help 'strengthen' her coat and make it more waterproof?
so any others out there with older ponies that suffere from the cold, or could something else cause shivering?
sorry, this post doesn't actually seem to have a point - just wondered if anyone had come across something similar.

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Hi op I'm no shettie expert but have had a few oldies with cushings. The cushings horses can struggle to regulate their temperature which is why you have to watch rugging to ensure they aren't cold or sweating buckets. It's hard to say the shivering could be a sign of cushings or just getting on and not being quite with it although confusion can be a cushings side effect too.

She is also new to the set up and might be just not tuned to how things work in 'the hood' so to speak , her mother could be controlling or blocking access to field shelter etc etc.

See how she goes with the rug on, if she stays cold and still seems out of it I would talk to the vet and consider having her tested it's not cheap but would be definative.

Good luck with her it's nice you have taken her on at that age to be with her mum:)

mavandkaz

Visit site
thank you for your reply!
i'm sure it is just a case of being new and the rubbish weather this week. she is also blind in one eye and is a little cautious when walking around so she's not moving much. her mum is actually being quite protective of her and gets between her and my horse if he gets close (he's 16.3!). the ponies have taken over the field shelter and the warmblood is out in the rain :)

lizness

Visit site
She hasn't been chased around or been sweaty rather than wet from the outside. Seen some shetlands sweat in cold weather

putasocinit

Visit site
Lizness - thats why you dont rug a shetland unless very old, underweight or sick. Easier to get warm than to cool down.

How is her weight under her coat, she should have a long coat at this time of year, how are her teeth has she seen a dentist, if she is eating well then just make sure she is getting enough to eat and she will get warm and dry out. Cushings can only be confirmed by a blood test, we can all say but they have this and that so it must be cushings. Good luck.

mavandkaz

Visit site
well with the weather being so rainy it is hard to tell whether it is from the inside or outside - hadn't thought it might be sweat. she was covered in wet mud this morning so think she may have been chased and fallen over (she keeps whinnying at my lad so i don't think he's bullying her). its just the fact that she has stood all day by the field shelter eating hay and hadn't dried out but seemed to be shivering more. her hind quarters were the wettest and wet all the way through, as was her back, under her belly and neck are fairly dry, with the driest part being right next to her skin - so makes me think rain.
just been to check on her again and she is wandering around the field with her mum, seems quite happy. didn't seem to be shivering although hard to tell, and although 'warm' under her rug not at all toasty and not sweating.
her weight is pretty good, but thinner then her mum - although she is a fatty and i can't seem to shift her weight! must admit during the snow, the older one started unrugged but i noticed it was melting on her rather then forming a layer so maybe both of them are lacking something in the insulating hair department!