Advice please . New rescue dog

BBH

Visit site
Hi I have taken on a rescue dog of two and a half straight from someone's home and he was delivered Thursday. All was well until last night when out the blue he started displaying anxieties about being indoors , constant pacing ,panting etc. He wouldn't settle for ages and fell asleep exhausted and today the same anxieties. In every way he is wonderful and outside absolutely fine. We were told he was surrendered as the owner had 4 young kids and no time for him so we wonder now if he was kept in the garden . How do we help him , it's awful seeing this, his whole world has changed x

Sandstone1

Visit site
You could try a adaptil collar or diffuser.
Give him a quiet safe area to sleep. He may take time to settle. His whole routine has changed. Can you walk him yet? If you tire him out he may settle better.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It just sounds like anxiety, rather than a dog who has lived out. And a lot do take time to settle. Routine, a safe space, not too much pressure and knowing you’re the good guy (tasty treats) will help.

bonny

Visit site
Is he getting enough exercise, he sounds like he might just be fed up if he’s not getting enough to do ?

BBH

Visit site
Thanks everyone , he is getting 2x hr walks but on the lead as he doesn't know me or have good recall and also ball playing in an enclosed space to tire him out x

{97702}

Visit site
Ace my latest rescue greyhound was just like this - endless pacing, wouldn’t settle, panting, looked stressed, reacted to every sound.... he is starting to settle after a month or so, I can’t say it’s been easy but I know we will get there. He had a very quiet sheltered life in kennels so it is sensory overload for him now poor lad ☹️

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I think it'd be worth trying an adaptil collar and giving him his own area where he knows he can go and be left alone.

Lin761!

New User
Visit site
Have a very clear routine so he knows exactly what is happening and begins to trust and do the same short walks initially, build up his confidence, it will come and then you can build in newer experiences. It worked with mine, he was shellshocked when he first arrived, he just needed time and routine. I was also advised by a rescue centre to feed some pasta to help them settle, the carbs and fullness make them relax :)

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
It may well simply be that he's stressed/adjusting to the new home, but given that the behaviour has taken a couple of days to appear I'd want the vet to check if he were mine. Youngest dog sometimes presents in a similar way to what you've described, and with him it's because of neurological issues. I'm presuming that your dog is neutered btw, and that it's not a case of there being a bitch in season three doors away or similar.

BBH

Visit site
Yes he is neutered and no bitches close by. I assumed he was ok for the first couple of days as he was absolutely beat following the 8 hr and 4 car changes to get hear. I'm not thinking full on neurological issues as there is good explanation at the moment with everything in his world changing . I'm seeing the vet Friday so can discuss it with her but it is heartening that others have experienced the same with new dogs.

deb_l222

Visit site
If I’m reading your post correctly, he’s only been with you 3 days. This is no time at all for a dog to settle but your reaction to the anxiety now will set the tone for the rest of your relationship.

My advice would be to do nothing. Have as little interaction with him as possible. Clip his lead on and off to go for a walk, obviously feed and water him but keep other interactions, e.g. eye contact, having a fuss, even speaking to him to an absolute bare minimum.

Pacing and drinking excessively are classic anxiety signs. It’s a dog’s comfort blanket if you like. If you try to ‘snap him out of it’ you will make it worse. Give him chance to sort his own brain out, without human nonsense and he will calm down.

I’ve never used anti anxiety collars so they could be a good idea but he will probably come round all by himself if you’re prepared to be patient.

Mynstrel

Visit site
Try to get more of his back story if you can. We took on a rescue last november who seemed fine but was a grumbling mess in our house for the first few days.

We talked to his fosterers and found out he'd been crated or otherwise confined for a lot of the time for various reasons and between us worked out he couldn't always deal with the freedom in our house. We gave him a crate as a safe space which he used when he needed it and slowly he came to terms with being able to be a normal dog. It was difficult sometimes but more than worth it.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
We got an 18 month old JRT boy from a family who didn't have time for him. The first month or so we had some issues at night such as barking lots, weeing and messing in the house. The family said they had never had this although we did learn that he hadn't had to spend the night in the kitchen nor did he seem to have a set routine at night. After a couple of months he was completely settled. We ignored the barking etc. and it stopped. The other issue we did discover was they had travelled him in a small crate in the car, which came with him. We tried travelling him in that crate and he really panicked. He now has a bigger crate and he's ok.

BBH

Visit site
Thankyou both, I will leave him be and ignore any pacing etc as so far I have tried to soothe him. 3 days is no time and I may have over stimulated his senses as so much is new . I have taken him for another walk and a play ball and he is now sleeping. At least he isn't so upset he isn't allowing himself to sleep I guess .

gallopingby

Visit site
BBH if the dog has come from a ‘rescue’ charity they should be able to advise and provide info of his past. Unfortunately not all people who surrender dogs are honest about the reasons and anxiety is frequently one of these although it can also result from insecurity due to moving homes. Dogs usually settle fairly quickly and so it may be that he’ll be fine in a day or so. If you are in touch with the organisation I would contact them first,failing that your vet should be able to advice. Adaptil collars and room diffusers work well. In extreme cases medication can help, I’ve only ever had one foster dog who needed it but the level of anxiety was such that he couldn’t be left alone as he tried to throw himself through glass doors or windows. Fortunately we found a home with an older couple, one very fit and the other not very mobile, the dog had the best of both worlds and settled quickly, we did discover that the problems had been ongoing for years and the dogs owners had been trying to rehome previously.

BBH

Visit site
I lost my girl 3 weeks ago and I use the same Rescue so they know me. I got a call Tuesday asking if I'd foster this boy as the owner is pregnant again and already has young children, her father was moving in to the house aswell and he needed support so she was basically overwhelmed. We have only got her assessment to go by and yes I'm sure some people needing to give up tbeir pets gloss over problems. He arrived late Thursday and showed no problems at all until last night. He is peacefully asleep now so we'll see how he is when he wakes up.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
As others have said, get him into a routine - it will make him feel safe. Treat him as you should a pup. Walks, feeds, pees ‘n’ poos. Everything. He’s bound to be anxious, his whole world & everything he knows has been turned upside down. Be patient, it will take time for him to settle.

BBH

Visit site
I thought I'd give an update as everyone was so kind to offer advice. ITs good news in that he no longer shows signs of anxiety. I kept him in a routine and allowed him space to come to me rather than try and soothe him. Exercise has been key. He is a wonderful dog and very very gentle. My mini Shetland girls aren't scared of him at all so he has fitted in really well. Again Thankyou all

Chiffy

Visit site
Great news that he has settled. Scrolling back I can’t see that you have told us what breed or xbreed he is. Always interested in what size and type everyone’s dogs are.
So glad he is fitting in now.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i love bull mastiffs, they are not a breed i would ever have as they would be too big for me to handle , but friends have had them and they have been lovable gentle giants. he looks lovely, thanks for posting..