Advice please on 3.5T Horseboxes

Caramac71

Visit site
Looking to buy a safe, solid and reliable 3.5T with a limited budget of around £12K. We have a 15.2 mare and would only be looking to travel her, so haven't 100% rule out (good) van conversions; however I think our preference would be a coach build. But absolute priority would be that it is as safe as possible.

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences on Mercedes Sprinters or Fiat Ducato's of about 10+ years olds? Most older builds seem to be on Renault Masters or Vauxhall Movano's and I don't think I've ever travelled the horse on anything else so wondered what they were like (mechanically and structurally).

Also was planning to visit some dealers that have a selection to view. There don't seem to be any dealers in my area but I'm happy to travel and found a couple in the Midlands. If anyone has any recommendations for dealers within about a 3 hour drive of London, i'd be very grateful. (Also if there is anyone I should avoid, please could I ask for PMs).

Thank you :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've mentioned this before (do a search for Mercedes Sprinter) that they have a high wheelbase which for a 3.5 makes it unstable for horses travelling.
I have seen one conversion on a sprinter, in the pound, it had a carrying capacity of 300kg when it was pulled over (with 2 x 14hh on) and was pulled as it was swaying in a 40 limit....

Look also at Peugeot and Citroen as reasonable alternatives, but not as popular as the well tried and tested Movano or Masters.

Fiat Ducato are generally gutless unless you can find bigger engined ones but they are not prolific. They are pretty good for bodywork, we found occasionally there were issues with electrics (we had 2 as race vans (a swb and a lwb).

Caramac71

Visit site
I've mentioned this before (do a search for Mercedes Sprinter) that they have a high wheelbase which for a 3.5 makes it unstable for horses travelling.
I have seen one conversion on a sprinter, in the pound, it had a carrying capacity of 300kg when it was pulled over (with 2 x 14hh on) and was pulled as it was swaying in a 40 limit....

Look also at Peugeot and Citroen as reasonable alternatives, but not as popular as the well tried and tested Movano or Masters.

Fiat Ducato are generally gutless unless you can find bigger engined ones but they are not prolific. They are pretty good for bodywork, we found occasionally there were issues with electrics (we had 2 as race vans (a swb and a lwb).

Thank you, that's really helpful. I will give the Mercedes a wide berth then! The Fiat is a 2.3 engine so possibly going to struggle? From the pics it looks like a really nice box box, and newer/less mileage than I'd get on a Renault or Vauxhall, so I knew there'd be a compromise!

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
The 2.3 should be ok for general needs unless you frequently do a lot of v steep hills?
They are only few and far between as the Vauxhall's and Renault's were prolifically sold as fleet vehicles.

Caramac71

Visit site
The 2.3 should be ok for general needs unless you frequently do a lot of v steep hills?
They are only few and far between as the Vauxhall's and Renault's were prolifically sold as fleet vehicles.

No, not looking at long distances or steep hills. Thank you, I'll put that one on the possibles pile and see if we can take a look.

Grassy

Visit site
I’ve got a coach built box on a Movano, well built, nice to drive & pony travels well, it was more than your budget though. I bought it from Horsebox Seller, who are near Daventry. They were very good with me, fixed up the couple of small jobs & lorry was ready to collect on time. I took a mechanic with me to look, & I’d advise you to do the same. We looked at around 15 in one day & paid the deposit on the one I bought.

phizz4

Visit site
Thank you, that's really helpful. I will give the Mercedes a wide berth then! The Fiat is a 2.3 engine so possibly going to struggle? From the pics it looks like a really nice box box, and newer/less mileage than I'd get on a Renault or Vauxhall, so I knew there'd be a compromise!
If it is underpowered you can remap the engine, asking for more torque. Just tell your insurance company. It can also give better fuel economy.

Caramac71

Visit site
I think the Fiat Ducato is a scam. Turns out it's currently being 'looked after' at the other end of the country to where it's advertised, on behalf of a seller who is living abroad. But conveniently they can deliver it to me ...

FairWeather

Visit site
I think the Fiat Ducato is a scam. Turns out it's currently being 'looked after' at the other end of the country to where it's advertised, on behalf of a seller who is living abroad. But conveniently they can deliver it to me ...
Sounds like a scam where they would ask you for a deposit ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I can't speak for older ones but my 4 year old Ducato is far from gutless and I live on a 1 in 5 hill. There aren't many around as horse boxes because the motor home builders snap them up.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I can't speak for older ones but my 4 year old Ducato is far from gutless and I live on a 1 in 5 hill. There aren't many around as horse boxes because the motor home builders snap them up.

I was referring to the older ones, sub 2L engines.
Yea, agree that motorhome builders like them, but build numbers for the vans are way lower than the other 2 :)
Academic tho as OP has uncovered a potential scam!

MissTyc

Visit site
I wouldnt touch a Unique with a barge pole, after the problems I had with mine.

Hmm indeed. My friend has one inspected by an independent mechanic and box builder a few years ago. It was "second hand" but was being resold by Unique who had taken it back. Over £20,000 ... All was not as advertised! She ended up finding a second hand "Travel Two" box for about £10,000 which she has been very happy with.