Advice please on buying our first pony

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Buy the pony subject to vetting. Your daughter already knows it and loves it and that is most important. if she wants to advance to something bigger in a couple of years she will have gained the experience and the pony will soon find a new home if that's what she and you want.
My first pony at 14 was a 13.1 3 year old with no real schooling who used to spin round and gallop back to the yard when I first had him so not ideal on paper but we had great times together until I sold him when I was 21.

Just read about her scaring your daughter in the field. Ponies can sometimes be little gits when ridden in the field they graze but angels elsewhere. If she is happy hacking slowly in the woods don't push her to do more. She will when she is ready. Taking the pony for long slow rides will be good for both of them both mentally and physically.

Last edited:

bonnysmum

Visit site
Not sure if better to start a new thread for each of my worries or continue here :). We’ve owned the pony for over a week now. Uncompetitive is an understatement. All my daughter wants to do is groom, hug and hack in the woods (slowly). There’s no arena at the yard. daughter tried her out in the field and I think got frightened of how fast the pony is. She wouldn’t even contemplate a trot on a hack. I feel I’ve been conned into buying her a ridiculously expensive toy and at the same time regret not doing this sooner. instead of a snappy, rude and uncontrollable monster who turned me into a nervous wreck over the last year, I now have a polite, focused, happy child (ttt). All her mental health issues seem to have retreated. The pony needs to be awarded a diploma in psychotherapy, as I find I also look forward to hugging that big bum after a hard day at work. I guess I’m looking for reassurance we are not going to hurt the pony by treating her as a family therapist and not getting her to do any work?

Loreleya, are you me and is your daughter mine?! Given some of my questions recently I'd say we should have a thread each! :-D

Adoni123

Visit site
13 years definitely not an off putting for a kids pony, older the better a lot of people tend to think!

At 40kg she is definitely in no danger of becoming too heavy any time soon! Go for it. Someone will love this pony in a few years time if you need to sell on too. Your daughter loves her which is a blessing as find a special horse to click with is hard especially in the current market :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
glad to hear you have got the pony, your daughter will have so much fun when she gets a bit more confident. walking in the woods is fine if she doesnt yet want to go faster.. if she is still at the same place im sure there will be someone who knows the pony and can give your daughter some help. just let your daughter do things at her own pace and im sure she will be fine. just be careful the pony doesnt put too much weight on

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Not sure if better to start a new thread for each of my worries or continue here :). We’ve owned the pony for over a week now. Uncompetitive is an understatement. All my daughter wants to do is groom, hug and hack in the woods (slowly). There’s no arena at the yard. daughter tried her out in the field and I think got frightened of how fast the pony is. She wouldn’t even contemplate a trot on a hack. I feel I’ve been conned into buying her a ridiculously expensive toy and at the same time regret not doing this sooner. instead of a snappy, rude and uncontrollable monster who turned me into a nervous wreck over the last year, I now have a polite, focused, happy child (ttt). All her mental health issues seem to have retreated. The pony needs to be awarded a diploma in psychotherapy, as I find I also look forward to hugging that big bum after a hard day at work. I guess I’m looking for reassurance we are not going to hurt the pony by treating her as a family therapist and not getting her to do any work?

Brilliant news on all fronts. The pony will come to no harm as long as you monitor her waistline. Long may the character change in your daughter last, but I suspect it will be forever.