Advice please - show jumping a hunter..

Flying_Filly

Visit site
I have a wonderful Irish hunter who jumps well out on the hunting field. He can jump big, and jump me out of the tack, but that isn't often.

I tried him team chasing (2ft 9) last season and he was fab if he jumped out of a good hunting pace but anything slower and I was hailing a cab.

We have started doing some jumping in the school and he chips in a stride and jumps to the moon. Today he jumped me over his head! (at 2ft 9 - 3ft)

He is 6, and came from Galway. He hunted as a late 2 year old (not by me!)

Anyone any advice on making this huge jumping hunter into something nicer to jump in the school? or schooling?

jess_asterix

Visit site
practice, practice,practice!

Obviously going slow towards fences is not what he is used to so it will take time for him to adjust. Use poles into fences and begin with trotting, treat him like a baby.
Have say 4 poles on the floor then a cross pole so he keeps the same rhythm and has the correct take off spot so doesn't feel the need to chip in, then do the same but cantering into fences with poles on the floor.

It will probably take time but it sounds like he has a very big jump!!

Ella Bella

Visit site
Focus (as always) on quality of flatwork. You will now become painfully aware of any holes, the canter specifically.

Introduce him to low grids and combinations. Aim for getting him relaxed, your pace and tempo consistent. I'd be trotting into small combinations (3 strides or more for now) canter out nice and straight. Gymnastic lines will show him the importance of keeping up impulsion but not attacking fences, if he goes in blasé with no energy and pops the first fence he will get himself into trouble as well as if he rushes or jumps erratic. He needs to use his power from behind to balance to jump from any distance rather than relying on "go" power. I like to trot (a lively but collected step) into the first fence then land to a bounce or two then a 2 stride to a one. He'll build strength and it'll do wonders for confidence once he's sorting it out. He likely hasn't had to adjust his stride or jump anything very technical yet. He just needs basic education and some quality miles on him. It's helpful to have someone helping from the ground to help you set fences and work out the striding when setting lines. Good luck, have fun.

Last edited: