Advice please :)

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
Hiya I was just woundering if any1s horse or know some1s horse who has had a similar injury. My horse decided to be a silly boy in the field to impress the mares and has made a right mess of his leg. After getting the vet out and being referred straight to Oakham he had it scanned and he has put a synovial hernia in his tendon sheath and tore the tendon :( im taking him back at the weekend for a operation on monday to assess just how bad the tendon is and weather they can repair the tendon sheath. Im yet unaware of what the next step is but just thought i would put it out there to see if any1 knows any stories or tips for this injury. Thanks in advance :) x​

catembi

Visit site
Perhaps put a post in the vet forum, if you haven't already, with a title saying more what your query is about, e.g. 'Experience of synovial hernia in tendon sheath'?

Sorry that your boy has had an accident. One of mine once nicked a tendon sheath & it got infected (accident with wire fence) & he recovered completely, but it sounds as if yours has done a bit more than this.

Everything crossed for Monday! Let us know how you get on!

T x

STRIKER

Visit site
Infection in the tendon sheath can be drained anid treated with strong antibiotics but still a 50/50 chance of soundness after, as for tendon injury box rest and cold therapy ice bubble booting, cold hosing, bandaging, bute will eventually heal the tendon but it is a lengthly process, racehorses tear their tendons and go back to race again albeit 6 months later.