Advice ref my livery bill pls

mar2505

Visit site
I am on part livery at my yard. i was on diy but YO asked me to go on part as she was getting rid of diys. She has since taken diy but their price is not cheap. My bill is one of cheapest in area by about 20 pound however this is my problem.... It includes hay, 2 bales of straw a week and feed as well as turn out and muck out and bring in. However I asked for my horse to live out this summer coming in just for a couple of hrs to be ridden and groomed etc. Therefore he is not using this much hay, straw feed etc. other liveries do not have their horses out cause they have the theory that they are paying so yard can do (strange i know but these liveries do not come up all week). My horse goes out with another one at night and they have really accommodated my needs. (I would have left if he had to spend another summer in at 330pm). My problem is i really resent paying for straw and hay I do not use. Am I being a bit silly wanting best of both worlds, would you ask for a discount, (I know the answer would be no) or would you just think that yard had acommodated me and leave it at that? its keeping me awake at night cause I struggle to pay bill as it is. What does anyone think?

The Original Kao

Visit site
well if you don't ask, you don't get
smile.gif

hopefully your YO is a nice person who won't take the hump about you asking for a discount.
i don't see why they won't as you are using less hay etc

JoJo_

Visit site
That is tricky. I know a yard I looked at going to before I bought my first horse has a cheaper summer rate due to horses living out. I suppose you should have a discussion with your YO. Its worth asking I think. Maybe they could give you a cheaper rate then if you need any straw or hay they could bill you seperately?

Its not fair paying for what you dont use.

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
I think your problem maybe lies with the fact that you struggle to pay it - and rightly so. Is there any other yards nearby that are cheaper? OR can you not go back to DIY where you are?

I don't think you're necessarily being unreasonable but you are contracted to a service and you're therefore obliged to pay for it regardless of whether or not you're using it.

Alternatively, a sharer might help with the bills??

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
I appreciate you are in a difficult position with them having accommodated you but I do not see the point in paying for something you are not using. I would ask for a discount and argue my point in paying for something that isn't used

mar2505

Visit site
I think your right in that i am contracted to a service. I would like to store the straw (not worried about hay so much as would rather he ate grass) and know that I have it in winter but know that is not an option. trouble is i am a bit cross that she locks everything up and thinks my horse needs a day bed so he has not had straw all june, thats over 20pound i could have saved. Your right maybe diy is an option for summer?

Judie

Visit site
When I've been on part livery I have always paid the same all year round even though my chap lives out in the summer.

Normally yards balance out the winter costs and the summer costs (always lower in the summer, less labour, hay & feed because of the grass etc) and come up with an average for the year, so I doubt it very much that your YO will reduce your bill in the summer. I assume as the DIY rate is now a lot more expensive they are struggling to make ends meet as it is.

Your horse is still being brought in though during the day, so there is labour there, and I assume standing on a straw bed, so some straw is being used and probable a wedge of hay to keep him/her happy so you're not totally paying for something you don't use.

I know it hurts but it is the norm, so sleep easy at night!

mar2505

Visit site
Thanks, I just seem to resent the fact that she has allowed diys and it would save me over hundred a month. Think i will have the conversation with her later.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
Could not not ask to pay for your hay and straw as separate items rather than having it included in your bill all year round? That way you will save in the summer and the cost should not increase during the winter over what you currently? This of course assumes that there is somewhere that you can store part bales etc?

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I charge my part liveries the same rate all year round. That enables me to give them ad lib hay in winter when they need it, to increase and decrease the feed as it is needed and to give them good beds when they are in. In summer yes they live out when the weather is good, but I change their rugs, I spray them with fly spray. I bring them in and turn them out for the farrier. I will bring them in if it's too hot and turn them out at night So as far as I am concerned the rate I charge is a 12 month rate. I know it seems unfair for you as the livery - but look at it from the livery yard owners point of view and amortise your costs over 12 months.

pinktiger

Visit site
i only concern myself with what i think is a reasonable amont to pay and if it works for me,,,, i IMO would not expect to pay different rates at different times of year i would work it out as a whole year and not into seasons! i see your point, but i also think your using the hay in the winter and if you think your on a good livery rate i wouldnt want to rock the boat!!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Thats prob why she has a case to speak up. If it werent for that I think she should work on the basis that the cost is balanced over the summer and winter.

My old yard wouldnt let people effectively be DIY in summer and part livery in winter, as YO didnt see why she should do all the horrid work in the sh!tty months and then also have reduced money in the summer, and I kind of agreed. If peeps did DIY it was 12 mths or nothing.

HollyP

Visit site
Everything is included in my bill but i dont use the feed and spend a fortune everymonth on additional feed but the yard are strict with their pricing which is fair enough it would all get too complicated if everyone wanted different things!

obviously i love it if they knocked money off as i dont use the feed but its not gonna happen!

mar2505

Visit site
Spoke to YO who said I could go on DIY but it was all the time not back on part in winter. Also said that it was my choice to have him out as yard routine is out in day in at night so if i stuck to that i would use everything. I feel better talking to her and can see point of view. trouble is i am very happy there so as someone said probably not best to rock boat. Thanks all