Advice: replacing Bateson Ascot floor

Rudey

Visit site
I'm looking at renewing my floor in my Bateson Ascot, and would love hear feedback from others that have, or are going to do the same, together with an idea of cost.

Currently I have the original part timber and part steel floor. One of my horses has a terrible habit of weeing in my trailer. Every time he does, I whip out the mats and wash it down. Through doing this, the galvanised steel is started to show surface rust and an inch square of the wood is wearing at the back.

With the urine issue, I didn't think another wooden floor would be worth while as it'll inevitably need replacing more frequently. Not unless anyone could recommend a treatment to protect the floor?

I read about the full alloy floors, but they corrode after a period of time. Again, thinking of my monster tinkling.

Then I read on the Bateson site about the plastic material floors and wondered if that would be the better option. (I did note their fault in 2011 when 50 trailers were recalled)!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. :)

asmp

Visit site
Had my Bateson trailer floor replaced 5 years ago by a Bateson dealer. Cost over £600 but was worth it. Had the plastic floor. I'm lucky that my horse never wees in the trailer though.

asmp

Visit site
Not sure I was given a choice! But I may be wrong as it was so long ago. The rubber mats were on top but I found that as my horse leans on the back bar, he was often found with the mats in the front of the trailer and him standing on the bare floor. I then had the mats bolted to the floor.

galaxy

Visit site
I replaced mine with the plastic about 3 years ago, or rather my mechanic brother did. Lol! As far as he told me, it came in 3 pieces from Bateson and bolted in really easily. He is the type to make his frustrations known if it had been a tricky job! Lol!

Rudey

Visit site
Thanks MrsD123 for your suggestion. Although the shavings would help soak up the majority, I think it would still leak under the mats and I didn't want to encourage him to wee in it, which I think would happen with shavings. Plus I need to lift and wash it out each time he does, so would inevitably waste shavings constantly. I've taught him to wee on a whistle, and try whistling before he goes in the trailer which has worked at times. Unfortunately it doesn't always happen!

I spoke to a Bateson dealer yesterday and asked his opinion with the 3 different floor options. He said whatever floor I get will be affected from urine at some stage. All he could recommend was to do what I'm doing, keeping it clean, and lifting my mats to allow my floor to breathe and dry. Apparently there's no treatment I can put on the floors to protect them either. *sighs*

Rudey

Visit site
I heard that too about the floors Galaxy. I rang the trailer dealer I got it from and he replaces floors. I said I was torn between the plastic and alloy floors, and he said the alloy in particular could be difficult and better to get Bateson to do it. I messaged Bateson last week for quotes on supplying the floors but not heard anything back yet!

Bucksgirl

New User
Visit site
How did you get on replacing your floor? What did you go with in the end? I've found a couple of places that have gone on mine and would be grateful for more advice.

DirectorFury

Visit site
For the sake of £300 for the kit from Bateson, if you're capable, I'd do it yourself. Their plastic composite floors are good quality and (I believe) have a 10 year guarantee on them. £300 isn't much money for the knowledge and peace of mind that your trailer floor is safe! I think it's ~£600 for the new floor+fitting by a dealer, again, not very much money when you consider that you're asking your horses to stand on it at speeds of up to 50mph.

If you do decide to replace with wood, please don't use marine ply. It's not suitable for horse trailers but people keep using it :(.

Bucksgirl

New User
Visit site
DirectorFury, thank you so much for the reply. I think I may order the plastic floor direct from Bateson and then ask the local trailer repair company to fit it. I did speak to the repairers the other day and they only repair with wood. Totally agree with the safety aspect as there are people who have had such awful experiences.

Doublethyme

Visit site
We replaced our Ascot floor when my sister and I first bought it. It was wood and rotting which we knew at time of purchase. I got the composite plastic floor kit from Bateson and my brother in law fitted it no problem at all (although he is the handy sort with that type of thing). No problems in the 2 years we have been using it so far.

Bucksgirl

New User
Visit site
Doublethyme, thanks for the thread and I am definitely going to do as you have and order direct from Bateson and fit it ourselves. My trailer is new to me and only has rot in places on the two outside panels. Gutted that I need to wait to use it tho'! How long did it take for the new floor to arrive and then for your brother in law to fit it?

Luci07

Visit site
Interesting thread. I didn't realise urine would rot an alloy floor as well but I always brush out and second or third time will wash as well. I do put shavings down on the matting but it just seemed to help mine travel a little better.

Lamc

Visit site
I ordered composite plastic floor kit from Bateson and got my garage to fit it while the trailer was in for its service as I'm not very handy. I'm really happy with it.

Lamc

Visit site
I did speak to Bateson direct, they recommended the plastic floor. It's the plastic floor they fit as standard in their trailers but they do supply and fit alloy floors as well.

Rudey

Visit site
@Bucksgirl tried to resond to your message but your inbox is full! My response....

Hi, so sorry, I haven't logged on in ages!

I spoke to Bateson and I was too far away for me to travel to them to do it, and their floor was reasonably priced, but they couldn't get a courier to send it due to size. They advised me not to go with marine ply from the uk, but recommended phenolic ply.

I got it off eBay for £78 including postage. I then paid someone £100 to fit it, but that included servicing, putting two windows in, and making a slow down sign for my back doors.

Here's what I used, (but managed to source it cheaper than what's currently listed).
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141554574747&globalID=EBAY-GB

Hope this helps. xx