ADVICE REQUIRED: ADVICE REQUIRED: Stables in/near South London

MandyMoo

Visit site
Hi all,

Just a quick question - does anyone know any decent riding schools in the SW/S London area, preferably not much further out than zone 5, where I can go for a hack or lesson perhaps once or twice a month? I live in Clapham Junction, South London, so have good train links.

Background: I, up until just over a year ago, lived in the East Midlands and owned my own horses. I regularly competed in BS up to 1m05/1m10 level and had previously hunted and also done some XC. I have ridden all my life (minus the last year) and owned horses since I was 10. I moved to London for a graduate job last year and consequently had to give up riding/owning my own horses due to time, money and well...London! My mum kept 2 of our horses since one was nearing retirement and the other was more her dressage horse anyway, but the other (my main show jumper) was sold.

I really really miss my riding, and since I simply would not have time or money to keep my own down here, I would LOVE to try and keep myself ticking over with a monthly hack or lesson somewhere. I've had the odd Google session but there are so many place and it is SO much easier to hear things by word of mouth/people's own experiences. It is a great community on HHO, full of knowledgeable people (I used to post a lot in 'competing and training' back when I was regularly out and about with my horses, some of you may remember me!). I had a look at stables in places like Hyde Park, Wimbledon and other London parks, but they are ridiculously expensive. Something in the region of £30-40 (maybe £50) for a hack would be best, but I am welcome to any suggestions you may have!

Huge thanks in advance!!

Miranda

Embo

Visit site
Hi all,

Just a quick question - does anyone know any decent riding schools in the SW/S London area, preferably not much further out than zone 5, where I can go for a hack or lesson perhaps once or twice a month? I live in Clapham Junction, South London, so have good train links.

Background: I, up until just over a year ago, lived in the East Midlands and owned my own horses. I regularly competed in BS up to 1m05/1m10 level and had previously hunted and also done some XC. I have ridden all my life (minus the last year) and owned horses since I was 10. I moved to London for a graduate job last year and consequently had to give up riding/owning my own horses due to time, money and well...London! My mum kept 2 of our horses since one was nearing retirement and the other was more her dressage horse anyway, but the other (my main show jumper) was sold.

I really really miss my riding, and since I simply would not have time or money to keep my own down here, I would LOVE to try and keep myself ticking over with a monthly hack or lesson somewhere. I've had the odd Google session but there are so many place and it is SO much easier to hear things by word of mouth/people's own experiences. It is a great community on HHO, full of knowledgeable people (I used to post a lot in 'competing and training' back when I was regularly out and about with my horses, some of you may remember me!). I had a look at stables in places like Hyde Park, Wimbledon and other London parks, but they are ridiculously expensive. Something in the region of £30-40 (maybe £50) for a hack would be best, but I am welcome to any suggestions you may have!

Huge thanks in advance!!

Miranda

Would you consider a share/loan? Not for me but may know someone.

MandyMoo

Visit site
Would you consider a share/loan? Not for me but may know someone.

Hm, this is a nice idea, but I'm not sure if I could commit to that at this stage in my life. I wouldn't be able to manage at all during the week, and would not have every weekend free I don't think (I travel across to Bristol a lot at weekends, where my boyfriend currently lives). It would depend on the terms of the share really. But i honestly don't think I would be able to commit to something like that at the moment. I think, right now, in my 'young graduate living in London' stage of life, a hack or lesson once or twice a month is all I'd be able to afford/have time for.

Embo

Visit site
Hm, this is a nice idea, but I'm not sure if I could commit to that at this stage in my life. I wouldn't be able to manage at all during the week, and would not have every weekend free I don't think (I travel across to Bristol a lot at weekends, where my boyfriend currently lives). It would depend on the terms of the share really. But i honestly don't think I would be able to commit to something like that at the moment. I think, right now, in my 'young graduate living in London' stage of life, a hack or lesson once or twice a month is all I'd be able to afford/have time for.

No worries, was just a thought :)

Have you tried looking at Dulwich or Mudchute?

MandyMoo

Visit site
I was about to suggest looking for a share.

Do you know of any good websites for shares? (Just so I can have a browse) - I hadn't really considered a share before, but it could be a possibility...depending on the share terms/cost.

I only know of sale websites, rather than shares. Any previous experience welcomed! :)

MandyMoo

Visit site
The stables at Richmond Park and Wimbledon common take one out for nice hacks.

Hi, thanks :) I looked at a stables in Wimbledon Common but they unfortunately only had membership available (you couldn't go for odd hacks every now and then) where I had to commit to quite a large monthly payment... I'll have a look at Richmond though, thank you!