ADVICE REQUIRED: Stables in/near South London

MandyMoo

Visit site
Hi all,

Long time no speak! (I used to post in here a lot up until about a year ago, if any of you remember me :D ) I know this post isn't strictly competition/training related, but this section of HHO is where I used to 'live' so feel most at home here :)

Just a quick question - does anyone know any decent riding schools in the SW/S London area, preferably not much further out than zone 5, where I can go for a hack or lesson perhaps once or twice a month? I live in Clapham Junction, South London, so have good train links.

Background (for those of you who don't remember me on here): I, up until just over a year ago, lived in the East Midlands and owned my own horses. I regularly competed in BS up to 1m05/1m10 level and had previously hunted and also done some XC. I have ridden all my life (minus the last year) and owned horses since I was 10. I moved to London for a graduate job last year and consequently had to give up riding/owning my own horses due to time, money and well...London! My mum kept 2 of our horses since one was nearing retirement and the other was more her dressage horse anyway, but the other (my main show jumper) was sold.

I really really miss my riding, and since I simply would not have time or money to keep my own down here, I would LOVE to try and keep myself ticking over with a monthly hack or lesson somewhere. I've had the odd Google session but there are so many place and it is SO much easier to hear things by word of mouth/people's own experiences. It is a great community on HHO, full of knowledgeable people (I used to post a lot in 'competing and training' back when I was regularly out and about with my horses, some of you may remember me!). I had a look at stables in places like Hyde Park, Wimbledon and other London parks, but they are ridiculously expensive. Something in the region of £30-40 (maybe £50) for a hack would be best, but I am welcome to any suggestions you may have!

Huge thanks in advance!!

Miranda

YorkshireLady

Visit site
I used to ride in South London....in Mottingham and I have looked them up and still there. This was when I was in between horses

http://www.mottinghamfarmridingcentre.co.uk/

On a saturday they did have an advanced group, 30 mins flat 30 mins of jumping round the farm. Horses actually were very nice. I have not been though since 1999! The other place I went was Dulwich http://www.dulwichridingschool.co.uk/

I did not have as good experience there and only went once.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I used to ride in South London....in Mottingham and I have looked them up and still there. This was when I was in between horses

http://www.mottinghamfarmridingcentre.co.uk/

On a saturday they did have an advanced group, 30 mins flat 30 mins of jumping round the farm. Horses actually were very nice. I have not been though since 1999! The other place I went was Dulwich http://www.dulwichridingschool.co.uk/

I did not have as good experience there and only went once.

I used to ride at both, but several decades ago ;)

Dulwich won't be any good for hacking. Mottingham has its own land (or did when I was there) which meant more variety. Though it might be a bit of a trek from Clapham.

If you're Clapham, you would probably be better off taking the train as far out of London as time will allow... you'll have more choice.

Mike007

Visit site
Try Wildwoods ,in Walton on the hill . Set in some of the best hacking countryside in southern England and relatively easy to reach from Clapham.

okepunya

Visit site
Try Wildwoods ,in Walton on the hill . Set in some of the best hacking countryside in southern England and relatively easy to reach from Clapham.
g.png
Good idea, I will be try it

Hornby

Visit site
What about Wimbledon village stables? Excellent reputation, very nice horses and a good social scene too.

j1ffy

Visit site
I also had a poor experience at Dulwich though it was a few years ago now (but I don't think it's changed hands since).

If you can get out to Windsor I strongly recommend the HAC Light Cavalry at Flemish Farm. They take 'supporting riders' for a small annual fee and you can take the cavalry horses out in the park and also have lessons in the indoor school. Also check out share horses as I heard that there are a few at places like Ham Polo.

Tash88

Visit site
I can highly recommend Ham House Stables near Richmond. I know both the owner and yard manager there well, please PM me if you want any information. They do lessons and hacks and have a wide range of lovely horses.

Tash88

Visit site

Would not recommend this place at all, very bad atmosphere with unhappy staff from what I have heard from a reliable source.