Advice- selling horse, dodgy purchasers??

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
im sooo very lost what to do, well im selling my boy and a lovely family came and tried him last week and hes supposed to be vetted on friday, HOWEVER i continued showing him to ppl jus incase anything went wrong and a i emaIled some pics of him 2 2ladies who live along way away, now they rang me 2day asking 2c him 2morro eve but i was ment 2b teaching but they were quite persistent saying thats the ONLY day they could come, so i cancelled my lesson. BUT now there saying they want the vets phone number to talk to them about the horse cuz they dont want him vetted and they will be bringing a trailer and cash, BUT now im stuck should i sell him 2them or should i hope he passes the vet and he goes to a lovely home where i can keep in contact and visit????

Tangaroo

Visit site
If the horse means a lot to you i would wait and see if it passes the vet and sell to the nice family. You never know where it might end up otherwise!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Ditto it all seems a bit strange to me. I would tell them that you can't make it and ask them to rearrange for next week, if they like your horse that much they will come back then.

icemaiden113

Visit site
I would sell to those that had the cash! If you want to still see him and stay in touch surely loan would be better! However the vet is not allowed to give them info on the horse but if they really want him they will wait.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If you are happy for your vet to talk to them, then he will, but you have to instruct him that you are OK with that.

These ladies may be genuine and feel that your horse is perfect for them and give him a home for the rest of his life. Or they may be dodgy. Difficult to tell.

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
well the vet cant talk to them untill i give permission but i dont want them to travel all this way to c him and then i say you cant buy him jus because i dont like them!! and what if the cash isnt genuine??

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I'd be pretty upset too if I had been to view a horse and arranged for a vetting, only to be told the night before or even the morning it is due to be done that the horse has been sold to someone else. I'd be gutted

merlinsquest

Visit site
I agree with tricksy.... bad manners if nothing else to sell from under someone..... also the second pair sound like they would be a nightmare, probably have the poor thing a couple of days and if it doesnt behave or suit them, wil try to send it back, all coz they couldnt be bothered to try out properly!!!

spaniel

Visit site
I suspect the two ladies may well be dealers or trying to rip you off with a dodgy cheque.

It would be extremely rude to sell the horse out from under the family who have seen him. I for one would be furious if you did that to me.

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
yep i know hav tried contacting second pair but cant get hold of them, but the vet wont be able to tell them anything untill i give permission and il b at work all day and dont get very gd signal

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
yes i do expect they prob r dealers, but my horse is at a dealers yard and i work for a dealer so wel prob able to suss them out if they r. However YES ITS AWFUL if i did sell it from under the other ppls feet but i have had soo many experiences of waiting for ppl then the horse passes the vet and they say we dont want it any more!!

Boxers

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
what if the cash isnt genuine??

[/ QUOTE ]

someone I know recently bought a pony and the seller took the cash to the bank there and then to have it checked, before he would let them take the pony away.

As for your dilemma, personally I woul tell these 2 ladies that the pony is being vetted for someone else on Friday and that you will telephone them afterwards if he is still for sale - I think you have an obligation to the first family. Would they be going to the expense of a vetting if they have no intention of purchasing ?

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
on three occassions i have had a horse pass the vetting and the people have changed their mind hence a little wary plus i have never had this horse vetted so nethin could crop up.
Would take money to be checked but there comin in the evening

Skhosu

Visit site
I agreee. Or at least let the other family know someone else is interested. We got a horse sold from under us the day before it was to be xc trialed and vetted( was perfect).
She sold it to another person ('friend' of mine) when they drove up at like 11pm at night 50miles to give her the money. It failed the vet on all four legs, but I was devestated and have not been pleasant with either party since.

the watcher

Visit site
If you know dealers you know they will offer substantially less than you are asking and apply pressure by finding all manner of knocks and bangs that may not even be there. you can be sure they will say they have cash but have brought £1000 less than you are asking and can't get any more, blah, blah.
If you can deal with that, the horse will go, but at less than you want.

Autumna1

Visit site
If I was selling either of mine (I'd rather die first mind you!) I would be carefully vetting the potential owners, let alone have them vetting the horse!

I would be less than impressed if I'd gone to the trouble of arranging a vet only to find that I'd been gazzumped, although the first 2 didn't leave a deposit so I suppose you're not obliged to sell him to them.

Having said all that, if all you're interested in is how much money you can get and you're not bothered about whether they're dealers or if the home is nice or not, then just sell him to whoever offers you the most money.

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
Everyone has very good points of view but the truth is either could or could not work out whatever you decide, I think you should go with your gut feeling thats what I do.
I recently sold a youngster and the person I sold it to rang up and said they couldnt make it to the following weekend and if they posted me a cheque deposit would I hold and they'd bring the cash the following weekend, the cheque arrived (I kept everyone tel nos who rang in the mean time just incase) and they turned up with the cash and took the youngster, turned out they were really nice people. Ive had someone come with a box and cash to look and they haven't liked a youngster and gone away with their money and their empty box. I think it is something that is happening more and more and it isn't just dealers doing it. Ive done it myself.
I have had people gazump (sp) me when buying a horse, I have been and liked and left a deposit to be told 2 days later that they have sold to someone else, its not nice but its a fact of life, its the world we live in.
A friend of mine had someone come and like their horse and the person went away to arrange a vetting and the vet they wanted couldn't come for nearly 2 weeks and someone else wanted to look, she let the other people come after much debating whether to or not and the second people bought the horse at the asking price for cash and she let the first people down, they weren't happy.
I have found that its a dog eat dog world with buying horses these days and sometimes you have to go along way and pay cash and take your box to get the horse you want.
Ive done it myself once, I rang up about a horse and the person said that someone was bringing a deposit the next day and buying the horse unseen, I REALLY wanted the horse so I said if I took a cash deposit and a cheque for the full asking price to her now would she sell to me instead, she went away and thought about it and called me back half an hour later and said yes, so I dropped everything and drove 4 hours and bought the horse and picked it up when the cheque cleared. I should feel guilty but I don't the vendor told me the name of the other buyer and I know they are a dealer, so I refuse to beat myself up about it, I got the horse I wanted. I haven't done it to someone buying one of mine though once I got a deposit thats it, no deposit not sold in my book, once I got the deposit it off the market.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
To be honest, I think you are honour bound to continue with the arranged vetting on Friday and allow the family that want him first refusal.

eventrider23

Visit site
yes the people who have arranged the vetting may not have him afterwards for some reason...who knows...but in my opinion wheever I've sold a horse whether when I was working at a dealers yard or one of my own, the rule has always been that if someone arranges a vetting, then the horse is 'sold subject to vetting'. I tell this to anyone who rings and either take their number or tell them to ring back on the night of the vetting to know whether he has sold or not.
I think this is only fair to people if they have gone to the trouble of arranging a vetting and if others are truly interested then they will not be put off by a couple of days wait till they find out if the horse is still available or not.
If no vetting were arranged then I would say go ahead and let someone else have him - 'first money on the table' and all that, but as a vetting has been arranged they have proven they're interested and so I always try to allow them the benefit of the doubt.

gnubee

Visit site
Whilst people in the horse world rarely seem to follow this rule (or even know about it), when a horse is sold "subject to vetting" that is a real contract and obliges you to sell to them at the price agreed, and them to pay you the price agreed and take the horse so long as it passes the vetting. I really don't understand why more people don't put the get something in writing at this stage!

Lady_Bug

angelsonhorseback.co.uk
If a deposit was left and a vetting arranged then the horse should be 'sold subject to vetting' and taken off the market. I'd take any other callers details and ring them if the first buyer changed their mind. The first viewer though should get first refusal. It would be damn rude to sell to someone else under the first viewer's nose when they have got a vetting arranged. I know some people do pull out after a horse passes a vetting but what does that matter if you have a list of other viewers? Personally I wouldn't pay £200 odd for a vetting if I didn't want the horse. Haven't got money to chuck around.

Artois

Visit site
I would be honest - call the people who wanna buy him
say - look got someone wants to buy i need a holding deposit from you to secure the sale
they can transfer from bank - or drop cash in or send cheque
then ya know x !!