Advice -sensitive girthing area

Scottish_Miss

Visit site
Poor Moo - ever since he had a muscle injury I got him a real sheepskin 1/2 pad for under the saddle, I like the idea of natural materials agiainst his skin. His saddle fits fine although because he is SLIGHTLY uneven in his muscle tone either side of the withers due to the injury I got the real shhepskin to allow for this slight difference. However He is slightly round (typical cob) in his shape and I have to make sure I do the girth up even on both sides - and on relection I personally agree with this rather than once you are on you only pull on one side - that surely cant be good for the horses skelatal or muscular structure!

Anyho so once one and riding etc he can often turn to look round and ater riding he is marked where the girth has been - he is fully clipped, and I have tried both cottage craft cotton girths and aslo synthetic Wintec chaff-free ones designed to be kind!

So do I go back to a normal numnah, and hope I dont have to pull my girth as hard up, try another girth or get a sheepskin girth sleeve. Only worry with ading yet more sheepskin is that it all becomes more of an issue to get the girth tight enough! If that makes sense!!!!!

Any one else had this issue - feel really sorry for my poor boy!

confused.gif

muffinino

Visit site
My coloured is very prone to girth galls and the only thing that prevents them is a sheepskin girth sleeve. He doesn't have much of an elbow hollow and the skin& fur wrinkle up and rub very easily, even when clipped. I tried a few different girths - humane, shaped, the Stubben - and the only thing that worked was a £3 synthetic sleeve (after I bought the expensive girths, naturally)
smirk.gif

If the sleeve works, use it, though you might want to look at a slightly longer girth if you think it will get a bit tight. If you're using a sleeve then I see no reasoin why you need an expensive girth, a cheaper nylon one should work as well as it won't be next to your horse's skin.