Advice to support calming

BellaL

Visit site
Hi there,

Can anyone advise if a calmer might help.
My pony is usually fine to clip , shoe or handle .
However in other ways he presents as anxious and tense. For example when we hack our usual route he’s fine but I can feel his tensions when we are in newer places or busier ones. When I put him out of lead him in from the field, he rushes and seems overly alert for things happening around him. When I jump him he can be anxious about the jumps often rushing out of them. However he seems to cope with shows better in a way- almost seems like because he’s got more to observe and focus on it helps. He’s very alert and seems to notice absolutely everything in whatever situation.

BUT he’s fine to shoe, clip and with the vet. He’s also pretty good in shows.

Would a calmer help?!

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Some horses are better at being 'leaders' than others. Natural leaders can assess a situation and decide whether to react. They will happily lead the ride without climbing the nearest tree because a cat has crossed the road. You can ask a natural leader to go on a new route, and it is done calmly. Sounds like you don't have this, and your lad over reacts to new stuff. Are you able to keep your reactions and your heart rate steady? Some trainers reckon a horse can hear or sense your rising heart beat, or smell adrenaline or something, and that triggers the danger signal. Horses often present as mildly autistic - creatures of habit, happy in a routine. Any changes need to be thought about and taken slowly if you have a sensitive chap.