Advice wanted please!

allyy

New User
Visit site
Hello all!

I have just created an account especially to ask this as I'm at my wits end.
I have started loaning the most adorable dales pony, he's 12 and a total dude. He works from behind, he always engages his hindquartersm but I can't seem to sort his head out... He locks his neck and i can't get him to come back on the bit, but he's not rushing or running off wih me. It's hard to explain, but he's working correctly, just with his head pointing out in front of him.

Any ideas how I can get him in an "outline" as the techniques i have been taught, ie leg to hand, just isn't working!

Thanks very much!

Ruby2

Visit site
Have you checked this pony is not in pain, either through his back, poll or teeth. Has his saddle been checked lately. It's always best to rule out discomfort/pain first.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Don't get hung up on him being in an outline. Make sure that he is working through nicely, moving forwards from your leg into a light, relaxed (not fixed or heavy) contact.

Do you have lessons on him?

xloopylozzax

Visit site
If he IS working correctly, then work on flexing his neck gently. Spiral circles, leg yielding into your corners and square circles will help soften him up. Does he have an inside bend when on a circle?

allyy

New User
Visit site
He definitely isn't in pain, that was my first thought and I've had it all checked. I wouldn't necessarily mind him not being in an outline, except I'm hoping to show him this season and would like him to go round nicely so that we stand a chance again the welshies!

Natch

Visit site
Definately get some lessons :) May I ask if the person/people who checked him (back, tack and teeth) were qualified or someone more experienced than you? If it's the latter, I would also get a qualified professional to look too, as unfortunately the horse world is full of people who give well meaning but not always good quality advice.

Can he flex for a carrot side to side, up and down, with you on him, or is he stiff?

Lothmorwel

Visit site
What ever you do, DO NOT be tempted to try and pull his head down/in - he will brace and that will disrupt all energies coming from his back end and you'll have a fightey hollow pony. Work on lateral flexion, make sure your hands are super soft, that the contact is steady, that he responds to your seat and legs (don't rely on your hands for turning and stopping). Make sure you are sitting light and balanced and aren't interfering. I am saying all this and 99% of isses are from the rider - no offence meant, but even the slightest bad habit can put the stops of a horse from working well.

Horses have to trust a whole lot in their rider as their mouths are very sensitive. A proper outline means the horse will be offering up the most delicate part of their mouths (bars) to the bit. If there's any doubt in there minds about their own comfort then they won't do it.

I also advocate lessons just to make sure you are doing everything right and to have an outside help see what is going on.