advide neeeded after ringworm

tania01

Visit site
i just found out a friends horse has had ringworm which has been cured now but she rang me last night for advise on how to boost his weight back up as she says he has lost quite a bit any advise

amandathepanda

Visit site
I'm surprised the horse lost weight after ringworm as it is more of a skin condition - unless the horse lost condition rubbing all the time? Personally I'd feed pink poweder as that will give him a general boost, then give him conditioning cubes & sugarbeet complete with a high fibre chaff of some description but I'd need more info about the horse to be more specific!

vhf

Visit site
I put a horse on TopSpec Comprehensive to build him up and it coincidentally improved his skin no end - he'd been a sucker for mud fever even in a dry summer! Unfortunately it meant that I didn't dare take him back off it because I didn't want the mud fever back! On the plus side, it didn't hot him up and I was able to halve the dose and his hard feed.

JamilaParr

Visit site
oh how odd our whole yard had ringworm and none if them had lost weight at all. then after it'd cleared up i bought a new horse and when delivered 3 weeks after, he had ringworm, so he had it at the yard but hasn't lost any wieght at all..he's fine now. xxxx

brightmount

Visit site
A bit random, but has the horse been wormed regularly? I bought a horse once that was in a terrible state, bones poking out at all angles, but after she had been wormed she started to thrive. We now have the opposite problem with her - she is a lardy!

Adding oil to the feed puts weight on, but the horse may not like it, you might end up having to add other stuff to tempt the palate like garlic, carrots or apples.

I agree about Top Spec - brilliant all round balancer.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
At this time of year you check for lice which often accompany ringworm, ensure it's been wormed especially for tapeworm and get it's teeth looked at.
it's pointless upping the feed unless you eliminate the above causes.
The best way to add weight is use pink powders or a similar product, high oil content feed or forage and ad lin haylage.
A rug helps too as the horse isn't then using energy to keep warm.
I doubt it's the ringworm that's the cause, so look elsewhere.
Try ringing or emailing Saracen feeds, they do several specific weight gain feeds, you can buy one that adds weight without fizz.