Advise needed. Horse lame only when trotting??!!

felix12

Visit site
Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem with my 17.2hh horse?
only lame when trotting (haven't tried cantering as we didn't want to make things worse) have tried numberous treatments: cortisone injected into hocks, 3 weeks of physiotherapy, well rested. both vet and physio are at a loss what it could be.

no change to his behaviour on different surfaces but worse on one rein

A little clip: https://youtu.be/gqZhRjoQy2w

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I would definitely get the vet to give the horse a thorough examination asap. For a horse to be so lame, he or she must be in considerable pain. I do hope you get to the bottom of it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am being absolutely serious here.

Your horse, from that video, may well have a broken pelvis and urgently needs a gamma ray scintigraph.

He's in serious pain and should not be being trotted on the lunge or anywhere else.

felix12

Visit site
Have had the vet out and she has ruled any pain or obvious reason as to why he would he doing this. He is absolutely normal when walking and it's not sore or tender to touch etc

twiggy2

Visit site
get a different vet, a horse does not move like that unless there is either pain or a physical restriction in their ability to move normally.
Have had the vet out and she has ruled any pain or obvious reason as to why he would he doing this. He is absolutely normal when walking and it's not sore or tender to touch etc

Nari

Visit site
Agree with get a different vet, and from the step or two of walk at the end of that clip I'd say he wasn't sound in walk either.

Hepsibah

Visit site
Lameness is a response to pain which is often seen most clearly in trot. Just because you don't see it in other gaits doesn't mean the pain isn't there. Horses are prey animals which means they have to be stoical - if they appear weak, they are more likely to be seen as an easy meal. It can also change their social standing in their herd. Please get advice from a competant vet.

ycbm

Visit site
He is uninsured so resources are limited, was hoping someone else has come across a similar problem

Yes I have. One was a broken pelvis, the other was a crippling sacroiliac strain. Your horse is in serious trouble. Your vet is incompetent.

Limited resources or not, you have to either have this explored further or have the horse put down.

Your video is shocking.

I sincerely hope this thread is a wind up.

Last edited:

Orca

Visit site
... Your horse is in serious trouble. Your vet is incompetent.

Limited resources or not, you have to either have this explored further or have the horse put down.

Your video is shocking.

Agreed.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Yes I have. One was a broken pelvis, the other was a crippling sacroiliac strain. Your horse is in serious trouble. Your vet is incompetent.

Your video is shocking.

Refer to comment number 2.

be positive

Visit site

I cannot believe a competent vet can look at this horse and rule out pain, it is not possible unless nerve blocks are done in every possible place, random injections are a waste of money without blocks and xrays to show where and why they are required.

Most horses will appear "sound" in walk yet are far more obviously lame in trot, it is why trot is the most useful guide when judging lameness, however limited your finances this horse needs a proper examination by an equine vet who will not just rule out pain because there is no reaction to the more obvious tests, he moves in a similar way to how mine did with a serious sacroiliac injury but yours is far worse, mine had been thoroughly checked by several vets and it was only by changing vets that I got him treated appropriately.

PolarSkye

Visit site
That is one uncomfortable/lame horse . . . he is either very ill (unlikely) or very broken. Please get a competent vet out as soon as possible.

Good luck.

P

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The horse is well clipped and in show condition. What was he doing prior to presenting in this condition ? What is/was his job. If you are really asking for help you need to expand on the situation more.

I have seen horses move like this, one was coming out of sedation and the other had turned a somersault on rock hard ground.

felix12

Visit site
The horse is well clipped and in show condition. What was he doing prior to presenting in this condition ? What is/was his job. If you are really asking for help you need to expand on the situation more.

I have seen horses move like this, one was coming out of sedation and the other had turned a somersault on rock hard ground.

He is 9 years old Irish sports horse called felix , I've owned him since he was 2, he has always been a pleasure to ride. He is riden everyday, mostly doing flat work in a school, occasional jumping on the flat as well. Since we spotted this odd action we have ceased all work and has been on box rest and anti inflammatories, also had 3 weeks of physiotherapy.

However in October 2015 he fell on his knees but seemed completely sound, but was taken out of the school for a little while.but then nov 2015 he had sudden odd action in trot but we were advised that he was just not being "forward" enough and Felix seemed to work through it, after the next 4 riding session Felixs problem was far more exaggerated and the work ceased immediately.

This video was taken 3 weeks after his box rest which was what the vet advised

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He is 9 years old Irish sports horse called felix , I've owned him since he was 2, he has always been a pleasure to ride. He is riden everyday, mostly doing flat work in a school, occasional jumping on the flat as well. Since we spotted this odd action we have ceased all work and has been on box rest and anti inflammatories, also had 3 weeks of physiotherapy.

However in October 2015 he fell on his knees but seemed completely sound, but was taken out of the school for a little while.but then nov 2015 he had sudden odd action in trot but we were advised that he was just not being "forward" enough and Felix seemed to work through it, after the next 4 riding session Felixs problem was far more exaggerated and the work ceased immediately.

This video was taken 3 weeks after his box rest which was what the vet advised

Did he get his head between his knees when he went down. He is drawing his neck up and back in the clip, can he graze comfortably.

I really think, given the state he is in, you need him to go in and have a full work up. The bigger hospitals are able to scan necks, backs and pelvis. He is going to need money throwing at him in all honesty. I hope you can help him and good luck.

felix12

Visit site
Mum here, Felix has been in working livery for approximately 3years, he does mostly light flatwork. I believe the fall in the school is the cause of his problems.

I stupidly did not think, this gorgeous boy my family and I schooled professionally, although wrapped in cotton wool, would end up in this distressing predicament, hence no insurance. I believe that if you have a difficult to diagnose scenario the more you seek advice and experience,you are surely closer to solving the problem, 2 lovely local vets and physiotherapist, have yet to make a diagnosis.
Cynically all animal owners are aware that if you have insurance ,fees may well be exasperated.
Although deeply upsetting, the forum feed back seems logical. Please feel affinity towards Felix he is an amazing,beautiful, kind person, he is absolutely adored. Will keep you posted, hopefully with happy news, But... I am very happy to be contacted personally,so keen to help my boy. 07794598042

twiggy2

Visit site
Mum here, Felix has been in working livery for approximately 3years, he does mostly light flatwork. I believe the fall in the school is the cause of his problems.

I stupidly did not think, this gorgeous boy my family and I schooled professionally, although wrapped in cotton wool, would end up in this distressing predicament, hence no insurance. I believe that if you have a difficult to diagnose scenario the more you seek advice and experience,you are surely closer to solving the problem, 2 lovely local vets and physiotherapist, have yet to make a diagnosis.
Cynically all animal owners are aware that if you have insurance ,fees may well be exasperated.
Although deeply upsetting, the forum feed back seems logical. Please feel affinity towards Felix he is an amazing,beautiful, kind person, he is absolutely adored. Will keep you posted, hopefully with happy news, But... I am very happy to be contacted personally,so keen to help my boy. 07794598042

Very odd post, why would anyone put their phone number on an open forum?
Does anyone else think they will be asking for money nest to help with the bills for diagnostics and treatment?
In case I am wrong, OP your vets has already wasted money by advising physio without a diagnosis your horse needs a referral to a horse hospital for a full work up to diagnose what is wrong and the you will have decisions to make, if you cannot afford to do this you need a honest open chat with your vet about putting the hose down. Leaving a horse in that condition is neglect and is cruel. You need to do something for this horse he is in pain.

ycbm

Visit site

The help your horse needs is not for people to phone you, it's a trip to a hospital for full scans and nerve blocks. He is appallingly lame. If you don't have the funds to do that, have him put down. if the vets treating him have not already said that then they are incompetent and you need one to refer you immediately to a place where they can do the proper diagnostics.

Your post is very odd. Working livery in a riding school yet you call it 'wrapped up in cotton wool'? You didn't insure because you thought he'd never get ill?

I think your horse has a broken pelvis, a very severe sacroiliac strain, or something equally serious.

GET HIM TO A HOSPITAL!

PS I'm still hoping this is just a half term wind up or a send me money scam. I certainly do feel affinity with that poor, hurting horse.

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site

I am sorry to hear about your horse, the video is sad to watch, my horse has had numerous issues over the years, but has never looked even half that bad so I think whatever is wrong is pretty serious as he is very unwilling to move fowards which suggests that his whole body is compromised, probably overcompensating in so many areas in an effort to relieve the pain. I can assure you that most of us seeing that video feel both affinity and empathy towards your horse which is why we are suggesting what we are suggesting.

Did your vet diagnose spavin in his hocks in the first place- is that why his hocks have had steroid injected into them? What did he say would be the prognosis? As he has offered you anti inflammatories what was the prognosis, how long did he say you could use them for, when did he say he would make a return visit to the horse, did he not recommend you send the horse to a hospital, exactly how many bute/danillon is he on a day, did he suggest PTS? Lots of unanswered questions.

I really think your best option would be as others have said and get him to a veterinary hospital ASAP. He needs a thorough examination and a diagnosis made so that you can consider your options.

All horses are capable of injuring themselves out of nowhere, I know this only too well. Insurance is a must for horses, Felix's bills could literally run into thousands depending on the nature of his injury. I know fees may be excacerbated but that is the nature with insurance.

Is your physio a ACPAT registered physio? I find it incredible that two vets and a physio cannot between them determine what is wrong with your horse.

I hope you get your answers but you won't find them on this forum. The only one can advise is a professional at a veterinary hospital.

Last edited:

BethH

Visit site
Ok - my horse has looked that bad, he looked exactly like that over Xmas too, hence a very panicky couple of weeks! What we think is that due to the appallingly wet weather, when he was playing he slipped and tweaked something in his groin area, also the cartilage in his feet weakened, especially front right which meant he couldn't power from behind as his back legs were blocked by very sore front feet and it showed up as a very lame left hind. Also to add to the mix, he has had hock issues (injected 18mths ago) so there is a thought that he may need to go for more tests to confirm if further injections are needed and the vet found a small lump on his left stifle joint so if wondering if this is remodelling and may or may not be part of the problem.

6 weeks on, (my horse is barefoot these days) having put wraps on his feet and he came sound and went from looking like your horse to floating around the school in trot and then a mad gallop (not requested but offered without waiting for response) which he hasn't been able to do for some time. After a couple of days of light work he has stiffened up again so will now be booked in (yet again!) for the further investigations I cancelled when he came sound.

I too thought my horse had fractured his pelvis, in your shoes I would be looking at heel pain and then hocks/stifle. It is bi-lateral. I would also say that your horse going down has definitely caused him a problem. Have you done a bute trial? I would say a proper equine vet needs to look, where are you based someone on here may be able to recommend somewhere decent. Good luck, let us know how he is, he looks a lovely person!

Last edited:

felix12

Visit site
How unpleasant and bitter. Not begging, hoping someone else has diagnosed and overcome the problem. He is able to roll and canter when turned out, so almost certainly not a broken pelvis. The problem exasperated over 3 months. Thankyou