Advise needed. Horse lame only when trotting??!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Really?

Oh for God's sake OP get the poor bloody horse a competent vet! Turning it away in the state it's in is downright abuse.

applecart14

Visit site
If you put the number in google it comes up with her name. It also shows the following advert saying

"Grazing desperately needed for convalescing Gelding, March -August.
Can erect fencing if required. Anywhere in Hampshire considered"

She was also selling the horse at one point, when he was 8 years of age. Looking at the cached page, the trawler states that the advert is showing as it appeared on 9th Dec 2015.

So presumably the horse must have deteriorated badly after this date, so it does appear she is telling the truth.

Last edited:

charlie76

Visit site
Unless I am mistaken, that video is at sparsholt college. I assume that is where he is on working livery?
Extremely concerning that the staff at a large equine college have not advised you better.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Actually yes I think you are correct. At the very least you would think that duty of care would apply. Although very close I don't actually know anyone there to make enquiries.

ester

Visit site
Just to let users know, and as I do only live about 20 minutes away from Sparsholt I have contacted the Equine centre manager to see if she can reassure us that the horse is receiving appropriate veterinary treatment at this time in lieu of the owner responding.

applecart14

Visit site
We can all be judgemental but perhaps she has been in discussion with the college already and they may have said something along the lines of 'as your horse is already receiving veterinary attention lets see how it goes, and we will be guided by what your vet says and see what happens'. She said the video had been taken to show her vet and that the horse had deteriorated which was why the video was taken.

I can see from the video that the horse is clearly requiring diagnostic intervention which I have already stated on a previous reply, but TBH I don't think it is up to anyone on this forum to approach anyone from the college.

ester

Visit site
Too late :p, mostly because the college's name is on this thread, as such it will now come up on google so I feel they have a right to reply at the very least to maintain their reputation. Which they cannot do if they don't know it exists.
Especially as the owner's responses have not been terribly reassuring/have mentioned financial issues.
(My vets are also very close to the college, and very good if they use them)

Last edited:

_HP_

Visit site
As this is all in the public domain then I don't see a problem with Ester contacting the college....well done I say...that horse needs help. If he already has help then great, if not then hopefully he'll get it.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Too late :p, mostly because the college's name is on this thread, as such it will now come up on google so I feel they have a right to reply at the very least to maintain their reputation. Which they cannot do if they don't know it exists.
Especially as the owner's responses have not been terribly reassuring/have mentioned financial issues.
(My vets are also very close to the college, and very good if they use them)

I've been flipping back and forward all week about reporting the OP anyway, as I have her name and address. to make sure the horse is not just chucked in a field in this state. I think this is a slightly less confrontational approach, so all the better.

be positive

Visit site
We can all be judgemental but perhaps she has been in discussion with the college already and they may have said something along the lines of 'as your horse is already receiving veterinary attention lets see how it goes, and we will be guided by what your vet says and see what happens'. She said the video had been taken to show her vet and that the horse had deteriorated which was why the video was taken.

I can see from the video that the horse is clearly requiring diagnostic intervention which I have already stated on a previous reply, but TBH I don't think it is up to anyone on this forum to approach anyone from the college.

We are all able to make assumptions, be judgemental but with very little information from the OP I think ester is right to make contact with the college and see if the picture can be clarified.
My first thoughts are that as he cannot be used the college may well be trying to return him to the owner as he is, hence the need to find grazing, not ideal but if she has serious financial problems she may see that as her only option, it is one of the risks with loaning, especially with no insurance cover, the owner gets a broken horse returned and has no idea what to do.

Hopefully we will hear back from the college via ester.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Poor, poor horse. Far too lame to just be turned away. I really hope the OP finds the funds to do right by him. As it stands, the situation is ludicrous - a physio is never going to be able to fix something that seriously lame.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Poor, poor horse. Far too lame to just be turned away. I really hope the OP finds the funds to do right by him. As it stands, the situation is ludicrous - a physio is never going to be able to fix something that seriously lame.

No reputable bodyworker will touch him as he is now . . . he needs a vet.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site

Actually, I agree with this. As unpalatable as it is to see a horse so very lame/sore, it's up to the college to sort/work with the horses' vets as long as he's on college property. I know there's a welfare concern here, but "we" don't know what has/hasn't gone on between the owner and the college and, as frustrating as it is, it isn't our business. We are not vigilantes - however passionate we are about equine welfare (and believe me I'm angry as hell about all the horses out there who don't get adequate care when I'd give my right arm to have half an hour with my boy when he was healthy - not even ridden sound, just healthy and "himself").

P

ester

Visit site
I don't think there is any vigilantism going on, just geniune concern that a horse's needs are met, including freedom from pain and it is always worrying when an owner declares funds an issue and that they hoped for a diagnosis via a video on the internet.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I don't think there is any vigilantism going on, just geniune concern that a horse's needs are met, including freedom from pain and it is always worrying when an owner declares funds an issue and that they hoped for a diagnosis via a video on the internet.

I agree with all of this - I'm just a tad uncomfortable with "us" taking matters into our own hands and contacting the college. You know I love and respect you as a horsewoman and a person, but I'd have been extremely unhappy if someone had (for example) taken images of Kali on Friday afternoon and decided to intervene . . . perhaps my discomfort comes from me being very raw and feeling guilty about not being able to save my boy . . . I dunno.

P

ester

Visit site
As I said as much as anything it is because this will now come up on google for the college and would likely not be representative of the care given to it's equines. So I feel the opportunity to confirm that they are working with the owner and the vets to resolve the issue (even if one would assume this were the case!) should be given, given the horse's presentation which I think most have found quite shocking to be asked about on the internet. It is of course entirely possible that the horse is no longer there anyway.

The difference here also is that the owner took the video and posted it on the internet asking for opinions, not someone else doing so and then intervening.

PolarSkye

Visit site
As I said as much as anything it is because this will now come up on google for the college and would likely not be representative of the care given to it's equines. So I feel the opportunity to confirm that they are working with the owner and the vets to resolve the issue (even if one would assume this were the case!) should be given, given the horse's presentation which I think most have found quite shocking to be asked about on the internet. It is of course entirely possible that the horse is no longer there anyway.

The difference here also is that the owner took the video and posted it on the internet asking for opinions, not someone else doing so and then intervening.

This is a good point - reflecting on the college.

P

Orca

Visit site
I'm glad you've contacted them, Ester, for the reasons you've mentioned.

On the initial video, information given and subsequent realisation that this horse is at an equine college, I did have a 'WTF are they playing at' moment when I read this thread earlier. It would be nice to know things aren't as they seem and that this boy is receiving appropriate care.

I know that even on the livery yard I'm on, horses must (and do) receive appropriate medical treatment. I would hope that any well regarded equine establishment would have similar clauses wrt horses on their property and under their care. Fingers crossed for a positive response from the college :)

JFTDWS

Visit site

Indeed - and has since disappeared from the forum and posted adverts for grazing elsewhere to turn a lame horse away. That's a massive concern for me, but if it's entirely innocent, the college (or any other intervening body) will be able to ascertain that for themselves.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well done Ester.

I just want to add in case the OP is still checking. I have no problem turning a horse who is 3/10 lame and has no fractures out under daily supervision for a month to see what happens. But your horse is much worse than that on his entire back end and no way should be being turned away without seeing a vet.

ester

Visit site
I did, but was unsure whether to post as the thread had gone quiet.

'I understand why you may find the video clip distressing but please be reassured that Felix is under the appropriate veterinary care. Unfortunately I cannot discuss his diagnosis and treatment with you but can tell you he has been under veterinary treatment since he first displayed symptoms of lameness.'

Theocat

Visit site
The college will be very limited in what they can say - I'm staggered they've said as much.

Perhaps the OP has stopped posting because of the tone of some posts - concern for welfare is all very well, but you achieve much more if you don't turn it into a witch hunt.

OP - even if one of us has seen something present exactly the same, it doesn't mean this has the same cause. I'd guess stifles, because I've seen similar, but it will all depend on what people have experience of. You need another vet opinion. If you can't afford diagnostics or treatment (and this does not look cheap) you need to think seriously about putting him down. If you turn him away with the support of your vet, you need to agree a strict time limit for improvement, and if he gets any worse I think you need to call it a day immediately. Personally if funds are an issue and he's been getting steadily worse for three months, I'd put him down. I'm sure all of us on this thread understand how painful that is, but not one of us would judge you.

ETA he looks lame in walk to me too, from the little we can see on the video.

AandK

Visit site
I did, but was unsure whether to post as the thread had gone quiet.

'I understand why you may find the video clip distressing but please be reassured that Felix is under the appropriate veterinary care. Unfortunately I cannot discuss his diagnosis and treatment with you but can tell you he has been under veterinary treatment since he first displayed symptoms of lameness.'

Thanks for the update, I guess at least they responded and is probably all they can say on the matter.

felix12

Visit site
A full bone scan, revealed no problems.
Very sore Sacroiliac diagnosed after an elimination process.
Horse rested at grass, now sound, will have more Physiotherapist treatment before starting very light work at home.

Thankyou for the helpful caring respondents

AdorableAlice

Visit site
A full bone scan, revealed no problems.
Very sore Sacroiliac diagnosed after an elimination process.
Horse rested at grass, now sound, will have more Physiotherapist treatment before starting very light work at home.

Thankyou for the helpful caring respondents

I wish you every success in the future with your horse.