Advise on cleaning geldings bits

louise1967

Visit site
Having always had mares I have never had to worry about this. But our gelding looks a bit crusty down there and I know nothing about cleaning boys, do I just leave it or how do I clean it????

catembi

Visit site
I would be very interested to see the reply to this... I always thought you were meant to clean it & so have tackled 'the task' a few times a year... But then someone posted that it's best to leave well enough alone so as not to upset the natural PH balance...

Natalie_H

Visit site
Have heard the "best left alone" theory too. I probably tackle it with sheath cleaner once a year maximum - but I have to confess that when it is out, I will pick a few bits off - which doesn't seem to bother him too much! Sorry to gross anyone out!
blush.gif

mollymurphy

Visit site
You can buy proper sheath cleaner, but we've always just used baby oil on baby wipes! Put a load of oil on the wipes and when he gets it out (
blush.gif
) for a wee or something, give in a quick covering in the oil (this is really hard to explain!!)
blush.gif
Leave it for a bit. The oil will soften the crustyness, so it's easy to wipe off then. Our gelding never used to mind, but if you've got a fidgety one, it can be a bit of a nightmare!

Have fun!

Lou. x
grin.gif

ruscara

Visit site
Part 2: THE CLEANING PROCESS...
WRITTEN BY: Patricia Harris [1998]

1.) Check to make sure there are no prospective boyfriends, elderly neighbors, or Brownie troops with a line of sight to the proceedings. Though of course they're probably going to show up unexpectedly ANYWAY once you're in the middle of things. Prepare a good explanation.

2.) Trim your fingernails short. Assemble horse, hose, and your sense of humor (plus, ideally, Excalibur cleanser and perhaps thin rubber gloves).

3.) Use hose (or damp sponge) to get the sheath and its inhabitant wet. Uh, that is, do this in a *civilized* fashion with due warning to the horse; he is apt to take offense if an icy-cold hose blasts unexpectedly into his personal regions ;-)

4.) Now introduce your horse to Mr Hand . What I find safest is to stand facing the horse's head, with my shoulder and hip snugly against the horse's thigh and hip so that if he makes any suspicious move such as raising his leg, I can feel it right away and am in any case pressed so close that all he can do is shove, not really kick. The horse should be held by an assistant or by your free hand, NOT tied fast to a post or to crossties. He may shift around a good bit if he's not happy with Mr Hand's antics, but don't be put off by that; as long as you are patient and gradual, and stick close to his side, he'll get over it. Remember that it would be most unladylike of you to simply make a direct grab for your horse's Part. Give the horse a clue about what's on the program. Rest your hand against his belly, and then slide it back til you are entering The Home of the Actual Private Part. When you reach this first region of your destination, lube him up good with Excalibur or whatever you're using. If the outer part of his sheath is really grungy you will feel little clods and nubblies of smegma peeling off as you grope around in there. Patiently and gently expedite their removal.

5.) Thus far, you have probably only been in the outer part of the sheath. The Part Itself, you'll have noticed, is strangely absent. That's because it has retired shyly to its inner chambers. Roll up them thar sleeves and follow in after it ;-)

6.) As you and Mr Hand wend your way deeper into the sheath, you will encounter what feels like a small portal that opens up into a chamber beyond. Being attentive to your horse's reaction, invite yourself in . You are now in the inner sanctum of The Actual Private Part. It's hiding in there towards the back, trying to pretend it isn't there. Say hi and wave to it . No, really, work your finger back and forth around the sides of it. If the horse won't drop, this is your only shot at removing whatever dried smegma is clinging to the surface of the Part itself. So, gently explore around it, pulling out whatever crusty topsoil you find there. Use more water and more Excalibur if necessary to loosen attached gunk.

7.) When Mr Hand and the Actual Private Part have gotten to know each other pretty well, and the Part feels squeaky clean all around, there remains only one task: checking for, and removing, the bean. The bean is a pale, kidney-shaped accumulation of smegma in a small pouch just inside the urethra. Not all horses accumulate a bean, but IME the majority do, even if they have no visible external smegma. So: the equine urethra is fairly large diameter, and indeed will permit you to very gently insinuate one of your slimmer fingers inside the urethral opening. Do so, and explore upwards for what will feel like a lump or "pea" buried no more than, I dunno, perhaps 3/4" in from the opening. If you do encounter a bean, gently and sympathetically persuade it out with your finger. This may require a little patience from BOTH Mr Hand AND the horse, but the horse will be happier and healthier once it's accomplished. In the rare event that the bean is too enormous for your finger to coax out, you might try what I did (in desperation) last month on the orange horse: Wrap thumb and index finger around the end of the Part and squeeze firmly to extrude the bean. Much to my surprise it worked and orange horse did NOT kill me for doing it and he does not seem to have suffered any permanant damage as a result ;-> I have never in my life seen another bean that enormous, though.

8.) Now all that's left to do is make a graceful exit and rinse the area very thoroughly in apology for the liberties you've taken . A hose will be MUCH easier to use here than just a sponge and bucket, IME. Make sure to direct the water into the Part's inner retreat too, not merely the outer part of the sheath. This may require you to enfold the end of the hose in your hand and guide it up there personally.

9.) Ta-da, you are done! Say, "Good horsie" and feed him lots of carrots. Watch him make funny faces at the way your hands smell. Hmm. Well, perhaps there is ONE more step...

10.) The only thing I know of that is at all effective in removing the lovely fragrance of smegma from your hands (fingernails arms elbows and wherever else it's gotten) is Excalibur. Even then, if you didn't use gloves you may find you've got an unusual personal perfume for a while. So, word to the wise, do NOT clean your horse's sheath just before an important job interview or first date ;-) and of course, there is that one FINAL step...

11.) Figure out how to explain all this to your mother (or the kid from next door, or the meter reader, or whoever else you've just realized has been standing in the barn doorway speechlessly watching the entire process.)

Now, go thou forth and clean that Part :)

In fact, as my horse tries to kill me if I so much as look at his bits, I have squirted some baby lotion in the general direction, which seems to have done the job of removing the worst offending stuff. I really think it's best left alone, unless it is really stinky or coated, when a bit of a clean would make things more comfy for him.

Butterbean

Visit site
My old horse has always kept himself very clean & so I never needed to go near his bits ... thank goodness as he hates anyone going near them

Unfortunately when I got my new horse last year one of the first things I had to do was to clean him, poor thing was incredibly crusty with huge, black, walnutty lumps. Couldn't leave him like that as he was surely uncomfortable. Luckily he's very good tempered and puts up with having it done.

I'd advise you not to bother cleaning it if it isn't too bad ie if it is only the odd bit of straw etc. But if you've got big crusty lumps then some sheath cleaner, rubber gloves & warm water should help.

Natalie_H

Visit site
Weezy LMAO! - love your terminology there! Class! Fortunately I am also quite blessed as my gelding does not possess a minging donger either!
grin.gif

jewel

Visit site
what about if you never see him with it out even when peeing, but he has a strange smell in that area, and black glup on his belly?

JGKJ

Visit site
Since the warmer weather, when im brushing my old lad he keeps turning his head round and looking for me to scratch him, but then he kind of lifts his back leg up to say 'its under there' so im guessing he must be a bit itchy and therefore maybe needs a clean???

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont touch my boys bits. I tried a few months ago with one of my boys and he did not like it at all and tried to kick me. So I leave well alone! They dont have it cleaned in the wild so I figure it's fine to leave.

ruscara

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They dont have it cleaned in the wild so I figure it's fine to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um - they are all stallions in the wild, and make use of their bits rather more than our geldings do. Therefore, not to put too fine a point on it, they would get cleaned 'naturally'!

mickey

Visit site
My horse has always hated having his sheath touched. And I can't say I enjoy the job either!!!
I leave it alone. But someone once told me that you can buy olive oil in a spray container that is good for spraying on and encouraging all the muck to drop off...

chriscrogul

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They dont have it cleaned in the wild so I figure it's fine to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, they don't work in sand schools or have dusty bedding (which surely contribute to the build up of smegma) in the wild, and I'm sure a shod hoof would throw more dirt up into the "undercarriage" than an unshod one!

Parkranger

Visit site
only horse I've cleaned was an ex stallion we had as he would still get a bit excited and his willy spent most of its day out!

I have been told by numerous vets to leave well alone unless there really is a bad smell - then there's an infection! x

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I clean the big lad's as he was always done so by his owner and because that was the case he will always need to be cleaned now as his natural oils have been stripped ( he is 16 so has had a lot of cleaning if you follow me).
I have not cleaned the youngster and he has so far not had any big bits of smegma clinging to his willy and nor has he had a smell. I will leave him alone unless he starts to smell or seems uncomfortable down there.
I will check for the bean in the urethra though as that must be painfull for the horse.
Big lad was cleaned a few weeks ago but he is still smelly. I used simple soap ( ph neutral) and water and then after a good rinse he was lubricated with vaseline as a lady I know ( whom I asked some time ago) suggested it as it makes his sheath and penis softer and thus the smegma shouldn't stick to it and go hard.
He was smelly before the clean and to be honest still is.
I know Demelzah mentioned about her horse having black gunk on his belly and my lad is the same. He gets a sticky mess on his belly just in front of his sheath etc and he also gets a greyish grease like residue on the inside of his back legs which looks very unsightly and feels yuk. I assume this is coming from the same area?
I'm going to have another clean this week and try lube again just in case I missed some parts last time. To be honest when you have to reach inside the sheath I don't fumble around too much as I'm scared of causing any injury to his penis because it can be very serious if that happens.
However that will not deter me from cleaning him though because I will not leave a horse with a smelly widge as it is both gross and could result in an infection, as well as possibly causing discomfort to the horse especially when ridden or cantering around as it moves from side to side in the sheath.
Cazx
Good luck though and be warned it does smell awful. The grease and smegma smells like a drain and has the same consistency of the gunk that clogs up the pipes under the sink. If you can wear gloves do so but it can be tricky as it limits what you can feel with your fingers but whatever you do make sure nails are kept short, ouch.

Rupert2006

Visit site
baby oil - I squirted some on his chap the other day and now it is shiny and clean (he was a bit surprised at the time) only needed a quick 'brush off' with a gloved hand.

harrihjc

Visit site
I've never had to do it with my gelding, not yet anyway! My friend got a nasty kick from her horse the other week, and the reaction at work was quite hilarious!