Advise on new horse ‘Temper’

KINDMARE

Visit site
I wonder if anyone could offer advise/reasoning regarding something that happened yesterday please?
New horse arrived couple of weeks ago - very sweet but stubborn (as in planting being lead and ridden)
Saddle changed ( the one he arrived with didn’t fit) physio out and will be ongoing as he has a few issues with soreness
But overall seems to be a nice horse.
Making allowances for new home and owner and keeping to strict routine etc etc
Yesterday whilst pooh picking near to him ( have done this for the last couple of weeks ) he put his ears back and semi reared and generally acted out a sort of temper tantrum ( the only way I can describe it) I told him firmly ‘no’ and waved the fork at him, he did it again - I waved the fork but carried on with what I was doing.
Any thoughts? I reaslise it will take him a good few months to settle but I was shocked at the aggressive behaviour 😩

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Was he threatening or playing? Aggressive or bored? Spring grass coming through?

I'd get him into work if he's fit and sound, on the lunge if necessary.

honetpot

Visit site
The only thing I can think of is you are in 'his space', so like some horses guard their stable. It is whoopee time through, yesterday mine had all four feet off the floor, on very little grass, coming in.

KINDMARE

Visit site
He certainly wasn’t playing he was cross - yes I was possibly in his space but wasn’t acting aggressively towards him - I’m just wondering if my response was correct?

Burnerbee

Visit site
Reading this I had immediate flashbacks of poo picking a field of what later turned out to be a rig. He took a chunk out of my shoulder after getting up behind me and would happily have done worse had I not been close to the electric fence. Hopefully yours isn’t one but worth considering perhaps.

Jellymoon

Visit site
Sounds like he was enjoying his (new) grass and was letting you know not to get in his space, or get any ideas about bringing him in…
I think you did the right thing, I’m sure I would have done same!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think given time, he'll start to give you respect. I had a 3yo Welsh D arrive who was like this, he was horrific. He'd threaten to kick and bite me if I went remotely near him while he was eating for example (even hay, not just feed). Took a few months but he eventually accepted me and we got a great relationship and understanding. I would suggest having him out of the way while your poo picking at the moment (fence a bit off and put him in there while you're doing your thing), he might just be so stressed he feels the field is "his space" and doesnt know you yet.

rextherobber

Visit site
I think given time, he'll start to give you respect. I had a 3yo Welsh D arrive who was like this, he was horrific. He'd threaten to kick and bite me if I went remotely near him while he was eating for example (even hay, not just feed). Took a few months but he eventually accepted me and we got a great relationship and understanding. I would suggest having him out of the way while your poo picking at the moment (fence a bit off and put him in there while you're doing your thing), he might just be so stressed he feels the field is "his space" and doesnt know you yet.
I had one like this, turned out to began absolute cracker, but took over a year to settle and bond, but would have done anything I asked and trusted me completely- eventually!