Advise on taming a wild mane !

Lottiedots

Visit site
My lovely new boy has a really wild mane. It is thick and sticks up in every direction except on the right. I've tried every thing, banding, plaiting, neck covers but it seems determined to do it's own thing , I thought the neck cover over winter would sort it,which it did, sort of, but now neck over is off it's gone back to its crazy ways! Basically it just sticks straight up or flips over to the left. Even with the bands in it still sticks up! I've tried letting it get longer but didn't make much difference. Is there any hope for a normal mane or do I just have to accept that's way it is? I want to be able to plait up on the right so pull it to lie on that side. It doesn't help that he also doesn't much like having it pulled. Any advise gratefully received !

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
attachment.php

Sorry.... what was that we had to do again? :D

Last edited:

Splashy pony

Visit site
Love long manes!
Feed biotin 'till it grows then do a running plait.
Hog it.
Maintenance plaits. Just divide and do plaits - stitch up and leave in without rolling up ( can be made into scallop plaits for a pony party)

Lattice plait.
Thin it.
Gave my Connie Equimins supplement treats and his mane grew 20cm.

huskydamage

Visit site
My pony's mane is like a bog brush and if she had even an inch of cob about her I would hog it! It is super thick and takes ages to pull and my girl hates it being done.

I too have tried everything in the past, I have yet to find a magic trick that works! the longer it gets it just sticks up higher and higher, it seems to defy gravity! and as you say, plaiting it just results in plaits sticking up also. Now she has rubbed half off somehow and so partly bald in the middle :(

To be honest and I know this is a big no no for most people, but I just cut it with scissors and keep it really short and spikey. I use thinning scissors also so it tames it a bit. No pain for my horse and keeps the madness out of the way of my reins. I leave the forelock to its own crazy business.

You may have to embrace the mane! or try to grow it SUPER long and maybe eventually it would weigh down?

Personally, I gave up a long time ago. Pony has been rocking the Mohawk ever since.

Last edited: