Affiliated showing classes for amateurs - Welsh Cob

Simbapony

Visit site
Can anyone advise me what showing classes at affiliated level there are for amateurs? I have had Pretty Polly mentioned, but no nothing about them or what they qualify you for etc?

Carlosmum

Visit site
I assume by 'affiliated' you mean County Standard Shows. There is no bar to competing in those if you are an amateur but you may need to be a member to qualify for championship shows. Have a look at the National Pony Society, there are classes for 'home produced' ponies at the championships but I think it may involve qualifying via the usual classes. there is no reason ( in theory) why an amateur producer with the right pony cant go up against the professionals

gallopingby

Visit site
Can anyone advise me what showing classes at affiliated level there are for amateurs? I have had Pretty Polly mentioned, but no nothing about them or what they qualify you for etc?
NPS and BSPS both run classes for registered M&Ms as does the Showing register which is affiliated to HOYS.Have a look on their websites and you should be able to find details of membership costs etc. HOYS and RI as well as London International are open to qualified horses whether ridden by amateurs or pros and sometimes amateurs win. The showing register has more specific info re amateur riders but the interpretation is open to misrepresentation and needs to be looked at very carefully, you may find that some previously pro riders have become amateurs!

Reactions: tda

Squeak

Visit site
I've just come back from London International last week and it's well worth giving a go if there's a suitable class as it was an amazing experience. It's aimed for amateurs but it was seriously competitive with large classes.

minesadouble

Visit site
I would advise looking at your local area BSPS Area shows as a starting point. Our Area is very supportive of new members and also holds a lot of shows and training clinics.

follysienna

Visit site
NPS sometimes run home produced classes.

Pretty Polly is BSPS, which can qualify you for RIHS. The pretty polly classes are mixed m&m breeds.

There is also UK Ponies and Horses. They can be found on Facebook. They run classes for amateurs on m&ms to qualify for RIHS.

The showing register has started running a points league and their summer show to qualify for HOYS for amateurs.

You also have search for a star, which can either qualify you for hoys or your horse live depending on the class, but there are only a handful of qualifiers around the country.

STARS is also aimed at amateurs. But it is run through selected riding clubs. If you have a selected riding club near you, you have to attend most of their shows to gain points in your class. At the end of the season, the person with the highest points qualifies in that class.

There is also Sunshine Tour for amateurs, I belive the qualifiers are usually held at local shows.

So there are lots of options. But every society has different rules so make sure you double check before you enter. Unfortunately there will always be rule breakers.

Simbapony

Visit site
NPS sometimes run home produced classes.

Pretty Polly is BSPS, which can qualify you for RIHS. The pretty polly classes are mixed m&m breeds.

There is also UK Ponies and Horses. They can be found on Facebook. They run classes for amateurs on m&ms to qualify for RIHS.

The showing register has started running a points league and their summer show to qualify for HOYS for amateurs.

You also have search for a star, which can either qualify you for hoys or your horse live depending on the class, but there are only a handful of qualifiers around the country.

STARS is also aimed at amateurs. But it is run through selected riding clubs. If you have a selected riding club near you, you have to attend most of their shows to gain points in your class. At the end of the season, the person with the highest points qualifies in that class.

There is also Sunshine Tour for amateurs, I belive the qualifiers are usually held at local shows.

So there are lots of options. But every society has different rules so make sure you double check before you enter. Unfortunately there will always be rule breakers.
Really helpful, thanks so much.