Afforable long waterproof riding coat recommendations

flying_high

Visit site
Afforable long waterproof riding coat recommendations

As title - looking for something comfortable to ride in, and very waterproof.

Thanks

Follysmum

Visit site
I have tried all types and never got to grips with them. They seem to always flap around. I now use waterproof trousers or chaps. Would be interested if anyone can recommend one though.

Cowpony

Visit site
Rydale do very cheap ones with leg straps (the sort with the cape over the shoulders). I had one which lasted years before it started letting in the water. The most recent one I had only lasted about 3 years, but at £40 a time that's not bad.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Not really affordable, slightly expensive but I have one of these, slightly on the large side but I can fit lots of layers and my air jacket under it!
https://ri-dryclothing.co.uk

They look nice but not that warm? I'd like something like that but fleece lined. Anyone do anything like that?
Or something a bit longer. At HOYS last year I saw a gorgeous long coat. Covered your legs too. Super warm & waterproof. I decided I could not afford it and have regretted it ever since!

flying_high

Visit site
I have waterproof breeches (though they do leak at the full seat part). Waterproof full seat over trousers, and various short coats.

I also have a dry-as-a-bone large waxed full riding coat, but it is a bit big, heavy and bulky.

I’d like a fairly light weight (happy to layer under it), shaped, long riding coat that is super waterproof and comfy to school and hack in.

Steerpike

Visit site
They look nice but not that warm? I'd like something like that but fleece lined. Anyone do anything like that?
Or something a bit longer. At HOYS last year I saw a gorgeous long coat. Covered your legs too. Super warm & waterproof. I decided I could not afford it and have regretted it ever since!
No not that warm, I got a size bigger so I can put lots of layers underneath!

holeymoley

Visit site
I have a jack murphey long mac, has straps round the legs for riding in. Really good, I just don’t tend to ride in the rain...

daffy44

Visit site
I had a Jack Murphy long waterproof coat, it was excellent did about 12yrs before it gave up. I've just bought one from Kramer for £50ish and so far, so good.

JGC

Visit site
I have had this one since last year, it's been brilliant but it's not waxed:

https://www.kramer.co.uk/Rider/Womens-Outerwear/Rainwear/Raincoat-Long

It is lined, although not very thick, I find it as warm as my shorter duvet jacket and it's often well into minus temperatures here. But I could fit a padded jacket underneath if I needed it.

But they also do a waxed one, although I don't know what it's like and there are no reviews of it:

https://www.kramer.co.uk/Rider/Womens-Outerwear/Rainwear/Oilskin-Coat-Wasco

Callieann

Visit site
I've got a long jack murphy and a shorter one. I've had them both about 20 years now they have both been worn to death. I have never had to reproof them. They have been washed regularly in gentle soap flakes and they have never leaked. I just put an extra fleece on if it's really cold.

Nevin's Run

Visit site
The New Forest coats are nice. They do a long and a 3/4 length in some nice colours, and they're not quite horsey prices. I have the Outrider and it's *warm* but roomy enough for loads of layers and that means you can wear them in the warmer wet too :) Removable hoods, zip up pockets, double zips, back vent - all things I want in a riding coat. But there are lots of different types and styles.

Evie91

Visit site
So pleased ive seen this thread. Was thinking how I might like a long riding coat this winter- to keep my legs warm and horses bum warm whilst hacking (have a quarter sheet but can’t help thinking coat might be simpler). Anyhow saw something that seemed perfect pop up on fb, clicked the link and coat was £399!!!!! Prices for the ones suggested on here are much more reasonable!!!