Affordable, economical 4x4 to tow with?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’m umming and ahhing between VW Tiguan and Touareg. Tiguans are cheaper to buy and run but I think I would rather have the 3.5ton towing allowance of the Touareg and the safety in its size and weight.

also heard that just because the Tiguan can pull the weight doesn’t mean it technically should and brake pads, clutches etc wear out a lot quicker.

love to hear any opinions on either! I will be towing a 14.1 380kg connemara and occasionally another pony.

Someone on another similar thread said the Tiguan didn’t stand up to towing even though technically it had the right spec. I’ve been looking at Touaregs as considering buying a trailer and mainly because I have a VW Golf now that I’ve had 15 years and never put a foot wrong. Still looks good too, no rust. They’re more pricey though. I’d most often tow one but I think I’d be annoyed if I wanted to tow two and couldn’t. I’m not keen on change though so haven’t made the leap yet I’m afraid I’ll buy a pig in a poke.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Someone on another similar thread said the Tiguan didn’t stand up to towing even though technically it had the right spec. I’ve been looking at Touaregs as considering buying a trailer and mainly because I have a VW Golf now that I’ve had 15 years and never put a foot wrong. Still looks good too, no rust. They’re more pricey though. I’d most often tow one but I think I’d be annoyed if I wanted to tow two and couldn’t. I’m not keen on change though so haven’t made the leap yet I’m afraid I’ll buy a pig in a poke.

Yes that is what I’m thinking. I don’t want to be replacing parts frequently or worrying it. I know a few towing with Touareg and they love them.

Shazzababs

Visit site
have you checked weights for freelander? We got rid of ours because it didn’t have high enough towing capacity. Caved and got a defender (I love landys too!!)

Wow that was an old post! We ended up with a Kia Sportage, the heavyweight one that tows 2 tonnes. It towed beautifully. They don't make them anymore, all the new ones tow much less, as does the Sorrento. And as you say, we discounted the Freelander because it didn't tow enough. In the end, it was a straight choice between the Sportage and the ix35, and the extra 2 years warranty won out.

However, my son now has a bigger pony so that combined with my Sec D is now close to the 2 tone mark. We have recently swapped to a Sassongyong Rexton (even harder to spell than say!). Was really dubious, but it ticked all the boxes at a reasonable price, so we went to drive it and were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. They let us tow the loaded trailer during the test drive too! We have had no problem with it. The 2-year-old model we bought was the same price as a 10yr old Disco and still has 5 years left on its warranty. It tows my trailer without even noticing it.

NeverSurrender

Visit site
I've towed on a 2008 VW Tiguan for the last 2 years, through Welsh hills etc and absolutely never had an issue with it beyond the general age related problems!

Abi90

Visit site
Yes that is what I’m thinking. I don’t want to be replacing parts frequently or worrying it. I know a few towing with Touareg and they love them.

I love my Touareg, it’s thirsty but it’s old. The newer, Bluemotion ones are much much better on fuel