After a bad(ish) fall ....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I do know that if I change 'something' that I feel better.

I have in the past changed saddle (for one with more grip), added a magic noseband or martingale, done a more progressive schooling routine (so back step quite a few stages then cover everything again), or even paid a pro to do some extra work on the ting where the accident happened.

On other occasions a stiff whisky has helped. Sometimes I have 'gerrrrr-ed' to myself to raise some adrenaline!

I guess it would help to know how the fall happened?

SpringArising

Visit site
I refuse to let my nerves win, which has, in the past, meant I've ended up putting myself in dangerous situations just to prove I can do it (which is stupid).

Answering the direct Q - if there's nothing you could have done differently, then what CAN you do, other than accept falling off is part and parcel of horses?

Asha

Visit site
I talk it through with my instructor, and ask them how they would have handled it. If still worried about getting back on, I ask them to get on first , and then after a few mins get on . Hope you are ok ?

blodwyn1

Visit site
I am in this position too. I thought my youngster was unflappable so cannot understand why she took off bucking. My safety devices failed, my boots jammed in the wide reflex irons, my air jacket didn't fully deploy as I got dragged, I was hanging on to an anchor strap which again meant I didn't fall cleanly. I have serious injuries and can't see a way back to riding as I thought I had done everything to prevent a fall! Any advice for me welcome!

Red-1

Visit site
I am in this position too. I thought my youngster was unflappable so cannot understand why she took off bucking. My safety devices failed, my boots jammed in the wide reflex irons, my air jacket didn't fully deploy as I got dragged, I was hanging on to an anchor strap which again meant I didn't fall cleanly. I have serious injuries and can't see a way back to riding as I thought I had done everything to prevent a fall! Any advice for me welcome!

I am sorry to hear this.

I don't think you can stop a youngster from having youngster moments, but you can research what could have caused it. I had a great youngster set of billy broncing and it turned out I had not realised the saddle did not fit as well as it had done... I would see what feed, what exercise etc he was on too. But, sometimes a youngster will do what youngsters do.

Being dragged should not happen though.

I had to look up Reflex irons, but they do not seem to be safety stirrups at all. I use Sprenger ones as they will release in a fall.

I prefer not to have a air jacket at present, but do wear a body protector some most of the time. They are always deployed plus they don't make a loud bang just when it is all going wrong.

Hope you heal up well.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It very much depends on the reason for the fall. If the horse randomly buried me, then I’m pretty wary of getting back on. If I can rationalise what went wrong, and take steps to make sure that it doesn’t happen again, then I’m ok.

ETA Though as I get older, falls shake me up much more than they did when I was younger. Also, in retrospect, climbing straight back on like I used to was not always the wisest of decisions.

gunnergundog

Visit site
What Cortez said up above.

Years ago I was schooling my then horse XC at a BE novice type course where we had schooled a couple of times successfully before. Horse hit fence HARD, I hit ground hard, horse stayed semi-upright. 'What the f**** happened there?' said I, prostrate on the ground. 'Horse didn't jump high enough' said four star/now five star rider who shared the ride on said nag with me. 'Get back on and do nothing differently' I was told. Fortunately, there was a smaller duplicate fence alongside...one of the WPs who were there gave me a lead and we jumped it in style. They then gave me a lead over the bigger version and again we followed with no problems. We then went on our own....no issues. The horse never hit another fence in it's life; it went to 3(now 4) star and got his 4/5 star qualification although never competed at that level.

There was no low sun on the horizon, I was told ( and felt) that we met said fence on a good stride, with good impulsion and straightness. Jockey was in balance and not in front of motion. Lower leg possibly not secure enough as pinged off when horse hit obstacle....no frangible pins in those days!

So, sometimes shit happens. Horses are not robots.....they can and do make mistakes and it is something we need, as riders, to mitigate against, but also to accept.

blodwyn1

Visit site
Thank you for red1 reply. The stirrups were the wide plastic ones that tilt to give relief to knee and ankle pain, I was riding in new boots which in retrospect had too deep a tread on them . If I ride again I will use riding boots rather than country boots so that's one lesson learned! The air jacket can't be expected to stand up to being dragged but as I broke my arm and leg a normal body protector wouldn't have prevented those injuries. My hip haematoma would have been protected if the air jacket had deployed. All in all I think by trying to prevent a fall I made the fall worse! My instructor and all who know the pony can't believe this happened our only conclusion is that she must have been stung! As I was knocked out I don't remember the impact so what really happened I will never know! My riding again will be dependent on how well the leg heals as I am non weight bearing and have just been in hospital for 4 weeks. At 63 I do think this probably will be the end of riding for me but I have two retired section d mares plus this 5 yr old c mare and my own yard so just stopping isnt an option!

Leandy

Visit site
Riding is a risk sport, these things happen from time to time and are not necessarily avoidable. I'm not sure we can answer the question meaningfully without knowing what the circumstances of the fall were? that said, there is unlikely to be anything wrong with an approach which concludes that whatever was tried and failed was too much of a challenge at that moment and, thus, taking a couple of steps back, consolidating at a lower level and building back up again over a few days/weeks. It is important for both your and the horse's confidence that you are both protected from failing again whilst you build back up.

Cowpony

Visit site
Thank you for red1 reply. The stirrups were the wide plastic ones that tilt to give relief to knee and ankle pain, I was riding in new boots which in retrospect had too deep a tread on them . If I ride again I will use riding boots rather than country boots so that's one lesson learned! The air jacket can't be expected to stand up to being dragged but as I broke my arm and leg a normal body protector wouldn't have prevented those injuries. My hip haematoma would have been protected if the air jacket had deployed. All in all I think by trying to prevent a fall I made the fall worse! My instructor and all who know the pony can't believe this happened our only conclusion is that she must have been stung! As I was knocked out I don't remember the impact so what really happened I will never know! My riding again will be dependent on how well the leg heals as I am non weight bearing and have just been in hospital for 4 weeks. At 63 I do think this probably will be the end of riding for me but I have two retired section d mares plus this 5 yr old c mare and my own yard so just stopping isnt an option!

So sorry to hear this Blodwyn1. I hope you recover well. Take the time you need and don't put pressure on yourself.

Red-1

Visit site

Yes, the country boots coupled with wide rubber treads would have meant you could be caught up, so there you have a good way to prevent such an accident again. I am also a great fan of Sprengers, they tilt more than 90 degrees to allow your foot out.

As for the mare, it sounds like you will be off for a while, so I would let the instructor ride the mare for a while. It is very possible that she was stung. The trouble with babies is that once you slip they are prone to panic, and I would expect that now you were also dragged it is a bad experience that the instructor could help get her over and yest her for you.

Riding or not is a decision only you can make. Just stopping is an option, but if you don't want to then you need to plan how to have your first ride again. I have helped a few riders back to riding after bad falls (was a confidence coach) - getting fit and robust first is a good start so you feel confident in your own health. Then slowly, slowly is the way to go. Often with riders returning after serious injury the first time will be me riding the horse first and the rider having a sit on and walk around the school, being led if that is what helps them to feel confident, then dismount again.

I would leave them wishing they had done more.

Usually next time riders don't want to be 'mothered' and simply want to get on with it!

I have helped 2 riders after serious injury who simply wanted to get riding again so they could then give up. They both started slowly, both ended up hacking/jumping and having a good time.

One did then give up as her health was never comfortable (broken back in several places) the other decided her horse needed upgrading and promptly got a more sporty model, having great fun. She decided not to give up after all.

So, no need to make decisions right now. Get fit and healthy first, have the instructor who knows your horse have some test rides, and only make a decision once you see where you are both at.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I’ve had many sore ones over the years. I’ve always just been of the school I f get back on immediately and keep going.

My most recent I was bounced very hard off the ground, rung my bell a little but I got straight back on and started doing the exercise again.

Afterwards I mulled it over and accepted that I wasn’t happy doing what we were doing and should have stopped and told the instructor I wasn’t happy, instead of continuing and possibly coming a cropper. Also wasn’t fair on the horse as he was clearly uncomfortable with the exercise and that’s what led to his little head explosion.

The next day I was bruised and sore but unfortunately for about a week afterwards I was suffering concussion.

Falls don’t seem to bother me, even damaging ones.

canteron

Visit site
I’ve had many sore ones over the years. I’ve always just been of the school I f get back on immediately and keep going.

My most recent I was bounced very hard off the ground, rung my bell a little but I got straight back on and started doing the exercise again.

Afterwards I mulled it over and accepted that I wasn’t happy doing what we were doing and should have stopped and told the instructor I wasn’t happy, instead of continuing and possibly coming a cropper. Also wasn’t fair on the horse as he was clearly uncomfortable with the exercise and that’s what led to his little head explosion.

The next day I was bruised and sore but unfortunately for about a week afterwards I was suffering concussion.

Falls don’t seem to bother me, even damaging ones.
Please can you sell me some of your confidence .... will pay handsomely 😂

GTRJazz

Visit site
The more you ride the safer you are the grip between your legs gets stronger and your brain is used to reacting to what ever the horse you ride throughs at you.

Tardebigge

Visit site
I'm a year older than you, and packed up riding some years ago after a bad fall off a young horse. Well, it wouldn't have been such a bad fall if I had been 30 years younger (although yours sounds horrific). I was more shocked at how my body seemed to have lost all resilience and bounce, although in retrospect I don't know why this surprised me. I broke ribs and injured my hip which took 6 months to recover from. All power to your elbow, and I hope you recover.

pansymouse

Visit site
I've ridden for over 50 years and learnt on the ponies that tried to maim other kids - I was completely fearless and frequently injured. I was, and still am, very much in the get back on if you are physically able school; in fact the only time I haven't got back on was when I was taken away in an ambulance with neither leg working. At 57 I remain fairly fearless and not particularly flustered by coming off. I think my fearlessness comes from approaching riding with the mindset that nothing bad is going to happen and mostly it doesn't.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I fell off my usually quiet 'salt of the earth' 10yo gelding at the beginning of July and broke my tail bone and gave myself a huge haematoma on the bum. Could have been a lot worse however so am most grateful! I didn't have a body protector on (it was a flatwork lesson & on hindsight it wouldn't have helped that much) wasn't using my 'oh shit strap' but my lovely sprenger bow balance stirrups released my feet cleanly as they are designed to do. Basically (and unusually) the horse had an issue with the top corner of the school - no idea what was upsetting him - and despite me working through this with the instructor's help he just didn't quite settle. So we were cantering around nicely, got to the 'spooky' corner and he put in a massive spook. Its depressing because I can't ride and am dependent on other people riding but the worse thing is I'm worrying about getting on again! I'm 54 I definitely don't bounce and having completely lost my confidence several years ago I really don't want to be in that place again. I have my instructor schooling the horse twice a week now to keep him ticking over and friends come over and hack him out. I did notice at the last schooling session he had an issue with the top section of the school (not specifically 'that' corner!) and I watched how she managed that (schooled him away from the top, lots of circles, changes of rein & transitions to get him thinking, riding in shoulder fore round the top of the school etc.). Anyway good luck and I hope you recover well!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I fell off on Sunday following a significant spook at a leaf blowing near the school. Apparently it was going to eat him and violent evasive action was required. I haven't fallen off in years and it did shake me up and I feel very bruised and battered, although no wear as bad as you OP, hope you feel better soon. I got back on immediately, whilst shaking and carried on riding for a little while to make sure the grelims in my head were calmed down and have ridden every day since. Despite a lot of pain in coccyx and shoulders! Essentially it reminded me that I'm older and not as bouncy and that it's an absolutely ridiculous sport that is very dangerous. Other than reminding ourselves to be sensible and taking precautions such as hat, footwear etc then the only way to avoid it is never to sit on a horse again. But, when it goes right it's wonderful and that's why we do it!! The reason I pushed myself to carry on is because I'm not badly injured and if I let the grelims in, I may lose confidence and I really don't want to give up my riding and my lovely twit of a horse.

canteron

Visit site
Hi Blodwyn totally my fault. Horse spooked at tractor which suddenly threw a whole lot of stones in air when turning straw - driver didn’t notice my horse was going crazy (!) so he carried on and we became cornered and horse slammed into fence with me - ouch. Quite proud I sat the broncing bit though!
I know I have to now work on my horses confidence especially around farm stuff but sadly it has stolen my enjoyment of the horse ... and of course my faith in my judgement. I should have read the situation and got off - apart from hideous bruises the only broken thing is the fence!! I just want my love of riding and confidence back. Too winded and limpy to get back on for a few days - interesting to see how I feel when I do?

scats

Visit site
I had a very bad fall jumping a number of years ago. Horse was absolutely flying into the second of a combination and then ducked out last minute and I went head first into the floor like a torpedo! I’ve never regained my jumping bottle, unfortunately. I can pop around a 2’6 course but I have no desire to go any higher anymore.

I turned to dressage- problem solved for me!

AnShanDan

Visit site
It doesn't sound like your fault to me! Just bad luck🙁 like many falls.
I'm in the same boat, came off my mare on Monday in a bit of a freak accident and have fractured vertebra. I did get back on, not sure now how I did but at least I rode her a mile or so before giving up.
All you can do is try to avoid the worst dangers and you have a plan for that. I'm not going to put a breastplate on for a long time after Monday. I looked at my son's air jacket but not convinced it would help that often. Hope you get back on board soon🙂 and everyone else is healing and regaining confidence too.

blodwyn1

Visit site
Canteron I think I would do groundwork around farm machinery and then ride in a safe area if you have one. I wouldn't blame the horse I don't think many would remain unreactive in those circumstances and you are luckily uninjured.