After much searching and all the wonderful help I got one!!!!

BunnyDog

Visit site
I found a lovely horse in England and today he's hit the road on his way to the USA. :)

His flight to America is on Wednesday and I'll get to meet him a week from tomorrow.

I am beyond excited and it's kind of funny since the few English friends I have talked to were surprised that I was so gaga over this horse. My American friends who know (Keeping it quiet here since so much could still go wrong) are just falling over themselves saying how amazing he is. I guess it's all in what you're used to.

I am including a short video so you can see him. His seller/owner is riding him. Oh and I bought the saddle also as it's custom to him. :p

https://youtu.be/lQWsBwNlGFQ

Since it's colder than normal here I am going to board him at a farm near mine with an indoor for the first six weeks or so. Actually, if you know American eventers at all, he'll be at Phillip Dutton's home base. Phillip is down south and the folks that rent his place for the winter are lovely.

So that's what I know. We're going to start with dressage work initially and some gymnastics and are eyeing emerging onto the US shows sometime in later March or April depending on our weather.

Many thanks to all who have helped and I promise to give updates if you'd like.

Emily

shirl62

Visit site
You must be bursting with excitement...He is lovely. Hope everything goes smoothly with his journey.

Shirl

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Just how easy does he make that look?!?! Nice one Emily, have fun.

BunnyDog

Visit site
Oh sorry forgot to give his details.

He's an 11 yr old 16.3 + Hanoverian gelding. His name is "El Cuador" and he's been based and showing around Sunderland and points north.

He's by Escudo I and out of "Sly Kid II" who is a Calypso II mare.

He competed through Foxhunters and as you can see on the video, thinks that 1.35 is not an issue. LOL

His owner imported him from Holland as a 7 yr old dressage horse. I did however send an email to the Dutch federation asking for any records. He had only shown in jumpers as a 5 yr old (in Holland) and not competed in dressage in their databases. I also checked with Germany and found nothing.

So little bit of quiet mystery behind him so we vetted him a bit more aggressively and he came through it fine.

He's on the van to Dover and should be arriving in the next hour and change. He'll be there until Monday, then ferry to France and lorry to Amsterdam. He'll be there until Weds and then fly to the states.

I am dying to have him here!!!!!

Emily

Bernster

Visit site
Ooh fantastic. He looks like a superstar. So excited for you. Have fun and look forward to hearing how you get on. Lots of updates please 😀😀😀

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He's on the van to Dover and should be arriving in the next hour and change. He'll be there until Monday, then ferry to France and lorry to Amsterdam. He'll be there until Weds and then fly to the states.

I am dying to have him here!!!!!

Emily

Is there a reason why he isn't flying from Stanstead in the UK Emily? The horse of mine that was exported went that way.

If you plan on doing hunters with him, he's really got the rhythm and style for it, hasnt he?

BunnyDog

Visit site
Is there a reason why he isn't flying from Stanstead in the UK Emily? The horse of mine that was exported went that way.

If you plan on doing hunters with him, he's really got the rhythm and style for it, hasnt he?

He's actually doing jumpers with me.* Hunters are the one thing that frankly I suck at and do not have the right trainer, saddle or bank account to succeed in. (*- ideally anyway.... but it's a horse... is anything ever guaranteed from planning to end game? :) )

To fly to the US all the airlines are now going out of either Belgium or Holland. I got 6 different company quotes and all were on these routes. When I was looking at Irish horses I got as far as an Irish horse could in theory fly direct to Chicago (18 hours by road from me) or they might be able to fly to Belgium and then land and then re-board and go to NYC. That was going to cost a lot more.

Poor Cudo almost was being picked up Weds for 2 nights in Manchester, then to Dover, then to Holland. Thankfully they swapped to his pickup today.

As of this afternoon he is safely tucked in to his stall in Dover and supposedly doing well.

Emily

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Might be the cost - as a livery horse came from Bermuda to Chicago for quarantine then it flew Amsterdam from the USA then travelled by horse box to UK, through France and across to UK. It was cheaper that way so I imagine it is the same the other way round. As it went the long way round the world as it had something to do with time zone and airspace

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
He looks lovely! Bless him, going on his big adventure to his new home! I hope he arrives with you safe and sound and is everything you are wanting him to be. :)

BunnyDog

Visit site
Oh so did you buy this guy without trying him yourself?

He looks lovely so best of luck with him!

Yes. I did have a friend who I trust and know very well who lived an hour away so she went and rode him for me and gave me a full rundown.

I have been doing this for a while (I'm 46) and though a warmblood is a new twist, I have regularly bought horses off the track (without a test ride) and brought them up the levels teaching them myself. I might be wrong but I think I can handle starting from scratch with a horse who already knows the job. I'm sure I'll have to learn where the buttons are but this is true of any new horse. And Cudo's brain is so amazing I'm really not that worried.

Emily

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh he is lovely, I really really like him. He looks like he has been beautifully produced too. Good choice, I'm not surprised you're excited :D

Please come back and post updates with him :eek:

BunnyDog

Visit site
I thought he looked familiar- he was about 5 miles from me! The family run an equestrian centre so he’ll be used to busy environments, and I know he’s been shown on the flat as well. Good luck with him! X

Lauren and her family are truly lovely people. So glad to have found them and Cudo. Amazing what following 1 picture on Facebook can do!

Emily