After some advice and some vibes for Dougal (aka gentle giant!)

H-J

www.piczo.com
After Dougal now looking so well and really starting to get his head around things as is always the way he walked in from the field reluctantly last night, then when I went down an hour later to finish off he has a slight swelling and heat on the inside of his leg just below the knee, trotted him up and he was visibly lame
frown.gif

I cold hosed for a long time put ice on it and bandaged, mum has been down this morning and said there is still slight heat and slight swelling but it has gone down a bit so she cold hosed and iced. Im thinking could maybe be a check ligament? What does everyone else think?

Going to give it till Friday cold hosing etc then if no better call the vet for a scan, oh and he is also having a bute in each feed. Most of all am just after some good luck vibes for me and him, imabsolutely gutted this has happened, he is the nicest horse in the world and tries so so hard I just hope its nothing too serious
frown.gif

ihatework

Visit site
Poor Dougal
frown.gif

Does sound that check is a possibility. But could easily be something less sinister.

TBH if you are going to have the vet look I wouldn't give bute personally as I would want the vet to see the leg au natural so to speak

TableDancer

Visit site
It COULD be a check ligament but it also COULD easily just be a painful knock, especially as it's responding so well to the cold treatment. Don't panic yet and fingers xd he's just been a clumsy oaf and caught one leg with the other - one of mine did that last week and is right as rain now. (((((VIBES)))))

H-J

www.piczo.com
Exactly what I thought but then if it is tendon damage then I need to get the swelling down as much as possible so a catch 22
frown.gif

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
It COULD be a check ligament but it also COULD easily just be a painful knock, especially as it's responding so well to the cold treatment. Don't panic yet and fingers xd he's just been a clumsy oaf and caught one leg with the other - one of mine did that last week and is right as rain now. (((((VIBES)))))

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a 17.1hh long clumsy oaf wo finds it difficult to haul his carcus around so im hoping its just a knock!

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
Oh no, poor Dougal!!! Fingers crossed it's nothing serious. Try not to worry too much!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, easier said then done though isnt it, im such a worry bag!

KatB

Visit site
If there is any concern about a tendon injury, get it as cold as possible as regularly as often as the first week is the most crucial time in reducing the severity in the injury. this is because when an injury occurs in the tendon, enzymes effectively eat away at the tendon and so the injury continues to happen for upto a week after the first lesion. If you can keep it cold, you slow the activity of the enzymes, so can carry out "damage limitation" as early as possible...

dieseldog

Visit site
I would also stop the bute and get the vet out sooner. If you are that concerned book him in now, you can always cancel it if he improves.

Fingers crossed he has just trodden on himself.

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
If there is any concern about a tendon injury, get it as cold as possible as regularly as often as the first week is the most crucial time in reducing the severity in the injury. this is because when an injury occurs in the tendon, enzymes effectively eat away at the tendon and so the injury continues to happen for upto a week after the first lesion. If you can keep it cold, you slow the activity of the enzymes, so can carry out "damage limitation" as early as possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what we are doing Kat trying our best to cold hose lots and ice it, should I be bandaging at night then if it needs to be as cold as possible?? They are breathable pads I bandage on top of...

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
I would also stop the bute and get the vet out sooner. If you are that concerned book him in now, you can always cancel it if he improves.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the vets always say they cant scan straight away if tendon damage...

Baydale

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey, have you just eaten Horace Hayes "Notes for Horse Owners" K?
wink.gif
(You won't remember that book as it was way before your time.)

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But the vets always say they cant scan straight away if tendon damage...

[/ QUOTE ]

They do? Vet has always scanned mine no problem and depressingly has always found something wrong
frown.gif

KatB

Visit site
Lmao!!
tongue.gif
No I'm just in a super intelligent frame of mind this morning ;0 (no jokes please!) I did pay some attention in some sciencey things I did....and turned it straight into equine knowledge
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Fingers crossd though H_J, bandaging isnt great to start with tbh, as they warm it up, and enzymes like heat within reason....

Halfstep

Visit site
oh dear! I do hope its nothing. fingers crossed for you and Dougal.

Re: scanning - if there is a lot of swelling around the area of damage, the ultrasound scan doesn't show up very well. This is why they usually wait to scan until the acute phase is over. But yes definitely keep it cold cold cold. If you can get any swelling down as much as possible they might be able to scan sooner.

poggio

Visit site
Owww no, hope its nothing more than a knock. Im sure it isn't, my big oaf is constantly giving himself knocks and bumps!
Agree RE keep it as cold as you possibly can and no bandaging. I would see how it is later before getting vet out, was he lame just from the swelling restricting flexion of the knee do you think or definite true lameness?

Keep us updated
smile.gif

H-J

www.piczo.com
There wasnt enough swelling for it to cause restriction its just slightly up on the inside and the vein is up. Vet is booked for tomorrow morning

Hattikins

Visit site
Fingers crossed its nothing serious Holly
smile.gif
Hattie came in from the field a couple of weeks ago with a front leg that looked like a telegraph pole - it was hugely swollen on the inside from fetlock to just under her knee and it was very hot. She was literally dragging her front toe across the concrete when she walked - i nearly had a heart attack!

After 2 bute morning and evening on the first day, and 15/20mins icing every 90mins for two days, and rubbing arnica cream into it. The swelling had significantly reduced by the evening of the first day and by the end of the second day it was almost gone. We kept her on box rest for 4 days, and 6 days after the initial injury she was sound as a bell and back in work. phew! so i hope its nothing more serious than that for Dougal
crazy.gif
blush.gif