After you have had a fall...

seaview

Visit site
Do you need a new Hat,
I was wearing my new hat on Tue night when I had a fall,
didnt think it was bad at the time but have had bad concussion
I remember someone telling me once that when that happened you needed to get a new hat? ior did I dream that?
Nat
xx

Alibear

Visit site
Yes if you've fallen and banged your head then yes definitely time to replace your hat. It may look OK but the materials will have deteriorated due to the impact.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Get it changed. It's just not worth the risk. It's a pain in the backside and i know hats don't often come cheap but you never know what can happy when riding.

Hope you're feeling better

samp

Visit site
That is really annoying it is advisable to always replace your hat after a fall esp if you have hit your head

seaview

Visit site
thanks everyone!
still feeling a bit grim apparently the sickness and headaches can last up to 4 days!!!
Hubby really impressed this am when I was pacing the room at 4am with my head lol!
Nat
x

brightmount

Visit site
Don't agonise over the fact it's 3 weeks old - think how you'd feel if you hadn't been wearing it, or had been wearing a substandard or faulty one.

I know what you mean about concussion, you will probably feel tired for weeks. I just had a fairly low impact fall, but it was enough to crack and dent the polystyrene inside my hat. It's easier to bin a hat with obvious damage, but I wouldn't take the risk even if you can't see anything obvious.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
No one can check a hat and say it is fine - the only way a hat can truly be checked is to take it apart and check for compression in the foam - if that is done then to be honest the hat needs throwing away anyway. Yes buy another one - it saved your life - give it a good send off and thank it for being alive. It is only a £100 - cheap for a life

Chex

Visit site
If you got concussion then definitely change it. I've never changed mine after a fall, but haven't landed hard on my head...yet!

Alibear

Visit site
I still have mine form my real doosy of a fall.

Looks utterly perfect inside and out, but if you put any pressure on the top of it . it's just flattens and flips inside out like it's made of paper!

You can get hats for £35 now a days so deffo just get yourself a new one. Without it you would have far far worse injuries.

Loopy_laura

Visit site
i'm sure someone wil tell me off for this but... i have had my hat for 16 years! got it when i was 9!! head obvioulsy hasnt grown! i have hit the deck hundreds of times .... starting to scare myself now should really buy a new one!

vicm2509

Visit site
I had my new hat 2 months. I fell off a horse and wacked the back of my head, I saw stars and felt dizzy. Next day had lump on my head. Hat felt fine but I still got a new one. Id rather pay for a new hat and know my head is safe than risk damaging my head in my next fall
smile.gif

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
A hat should be replaced every 3 years regardless of whether or not you have landed on it becasue the foam starts to degrade and the safety levels are reduced. if your hat is 16 years old it is of no use whatsoever - bin it and buy a new one. It always amazes me that people save money on their hats yet will buy loads of rugs, boots and clothes yet keep their old hat and body protector. Hats save your life. If you land on your head you can die. If you don't die then you can be a vegetable - or paralised - you may be lucky you may bonce and not crack - but what is the point in taking the risk. Also I suspect now many insurance policies would not pay out if you are wea ing a substandad hat

GinaGem

Visit site
Hi,

Sorry to change the subject but do you know how often a body protector should be changed both from the view that the standards improve and also from the view of the material degrading etc? Does the material in them degrade over time?

xxx

GinaGem

Visit site
Ok thanks mines definately in need of replacing then, i've had it since i was 13. I love it. Been meaning to get a new one for the last year but never really found one i liked. By what i can tell from sizing i should fit into a kids though which saves me a bit of money.