Age/Joint Supplement

michelledud

Visit site
Hi
I have two Italian Spinones, aged 9 and 1. I'm looking to put my older girl on a suitable age/joint diet now she's getting on a bit. They both feed from each others' bowls and are slow/picky eaters so it would be a bit of a nuisance to try and separate them in order to feed one a "senior" feed.
So at the moment I'm thinking the easiest thing would be a daily tablet supplement for her.
Any recommendations (good or bad) please?

Thanks guys xx

sarah.oxford

Visit site
Have you looked at turmeric as a paste? Google 'golden paste' it's very easy to make yourself and good for all sorts of ailments, and general older dog issues. It wouldn't do your younger dog any harm if you mix the food together for them, and doesn't cost a huge amount.
Isn't there a relatively new type of yumove that has a bit extra of the vital ingredients? Heard a few people saying it's very good, but if your dog isn't actually having symptoms right now, that would probably be unnecessary right now.
Agree with green lipped mussel, and I used to give my older dog Riaflex, which has similar ingredients to yumove. They have comparison charts on the website showing quantity of the main 3 ingredients, with several different brands listed, which is interesting.
Salmon oil is a good one, and easy to add to food.
Joint aid used to be popular, but I think yumove is the best option for convenience, as long as you have a dog that will eat the tablets, they are supposed to taste nice, if you are a dog, but Mason didn't agree, he is quite special in that way though!

Chiffy

Visit site
I am surprised your dog won't eat Yumove tablets, my dog eats them from my hand like sweeties! Could you not wrap them in cheese or something else tasty?

Moobli

Visit site
Another vote for Green Lipped Mussel (you can get it in very fine powder form that you sprinkle on their food) and Salmon Oil.

druid

Visit site
I am surprised your dog won't eat Yumove tablets, my dog eats them from my hand like sweeties! Could you not wrap them in cheese or something else tasty?

I think they have changed something in Yumove recently. My spaniels used to eat them as treats but will now actively avoid swallowing them with the new batch (bought about a month ago)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think they have changed something in Yumove recently. My spaniels used to eat them as treats but will now actively avoid swallowing them with the new batch (bought about a month ago)

The latest batch I bought smell a lot stronger. The dogs still eat them happily though.

Bearsmum

Visit site
I have my 14yro Cocker spaniel on Vetvits Flexioints and really rate them, she has been on them for a number of years following a friends recommendation and is amazingly mobile for her age. I did try some of their more expensive all round vitamin and joint supplement for older dogs, which had green lipped mussel in, but she wouldn't touch them, no matter what I hid them in!

claret09

Visit site
equine America do joint supplements for dogs - I use the Kentucky joint supplement with my horse and it's excellent - their products work

tiggs

Visit site
I switched from Yumove to Joint aid for dogs and saw an improvement. Cahill could you tell me more about the Streamz collar please

Cahill

Visit site
I switched from Yumove to Joint aid for dogs and saw an improvement. Cahill could you tell me more about the Streamz collar please

my rottie is 6 and active.
during the winter months i noticed that he was stiff on one back leg after getting up from long rests.
i was recommended the streamz ( https://www.streamz-global.com/dog-streamz/ )and can honestly say he has not had any problems since. have had some agility comps since and still all good.

i must say that i always thought these things a bit mumbo-jumbo but am supprised by it.

tiggs

Visit site
my rottie is 6 and active.
during the winter months i noticed that he was stiff on one back leg after getting up from long rests.
i was recommended the streamz ( https://www.streamz-global.com/dog-streamz/ )and can honestly say he has not had any problems since. have had some agility comps since and still all good.

i must say that i always thought these things a bit mumbo-jumbo but am supprised by it.

Thank you I thought the science behind them looked doubtful so it is good to hear that they work, you never know if you can trust reviews on the company's own site. My retriever is 8 and slowing down a bit and if she does too much is lame in her right shoulder . I tried a bioflow collar but it didn't have any noticeable effect and made her depressed, yet I know other people have had great results

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Hi
I have two Italian Spinones, aged 9 and 1. I'm looking to put my older girl on a suitable age/joint diet now she's getting on a bit. They both feed from each others' bowls and are slow/picky eaters so it would be a bit of a nuisance to try and separate them in order to feed one a "senior" feed.
So at the moment I'm thinking the easiest thing would be a daily tablet supplement for her.
Any recommendations (good or bad) please?

Thanks guys xx

Flexi joint all the way we used it on our dog and it made a world of difference

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
Both my dogs (cocker and GSP 4 and 2 years old) are on tumeric and the same joint supplement that I use for my horses. Both of my mom's dobermans (8 and 12) are on the same. The 12 year old has arthritis and is doing wonderfully on it (vet very impressed).