Aged, arthritic horse - barefoot query

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Hi all :)
Long time no see!

My old warmblood is back off full loan after 7 years. He is rather arthritic in his hind legs, however I think his nearside shoulder is going the same way and his neck is very clicky too.
He has been back with me for 8 days now and I put him onto Simple Systems food (well he has a soaked Lucie brick a day with his prescribed anti-inflamatories in) and his coat is looking fab and he has filled out a tad. I am about to start him on an aloe gel too which contains msm and glucosamine to help his joints.

Now, his feet has always been awful, keeping shoes on him was a nightmare and it seems nothing has changed.
He can only walk when ridden (although I haven't actually had a chance to ride yet as he is currently lame in front from acting like a yearling in the field *rolls eyes* ) so to cut a long story short(er) I was thinking about taking the shoes off completely and going barefoot.
If it's okay, I would like more information please from those in the know! And please excuse the stupid questions *blush*

a) will the 'normal' farrier be the right person for the job. I'm assuming yes, but I don't want to not ask just in case!

b) does anyone have any experience of going barefoot helping his arthritis at all (yes it's a long shot, he's not going to improve much, I know that, but any thing I can do to ease his discomfort I have to do)

I will add pictures later today after I've been to the yard, and if I have left out any information. please ask, my brain is on holiday!

SF
x

TwoStroke

Visit site
If you're happy with your farrier and he's doing a good job then stick with him. Keep an eye on the frog and sole to make sure they're not being sculpted.

I've not had first hand experience of arthritis and barefoot, so can't really advise on that one. I do know of people who feel that it has been an enormous help.

StrawberryFish

Visit site
I haven't suede a farrier here for anything other than trimming our mini shetty so no strong opinion, will. Get him to pop the shoes off and go from there, thank you xx

Oberon

Visit site
No personal experience of arthritis but have heard of others who horses have found relief by going barefoot.

The hoof can absorb concussion more effectively by engaging the back of the hoof again and you can imagine how it would feel to arthritic joints to walk in metal shoes on a hard surface.....

Turmeric is reputed to be good for joints. There is a research paper on it somewhere (although I don't know how scientifically viable it is).
http://www.cotsherb.co.uk/culinary-herbs-and-spices/ground-spices/turmeric/prod_647.html

Linseed is also helpful as it contains the correct ratios of omega 3 to 6 for the horse.
http://www.charnwood-milling.co.uk/mail-order/Horse_Food.html#a55

Apple Cider Vinegar is also supposed to be good for joints.

StrawberryFish

Visit site
I have been recommended turmeric (I put it in everything at home because of it's health inducing properties, didn't think to use it for my ned!) and I was going to get linseed but decided against it for now, but I shall go and get some!
Anything I ca do to make him comfortable, I will.

He is still rather lame in front today though, so I'm thinking I may need to get the vet out. Gah!