Ageism

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Met a neighbour yesterday who, when I told him I was going to the riding school, seemed genuinely shocked and said “So you’re still riding?”. I explained I’d been riding only two years, had won the RS Summer Dressage Championship (didn’t say it was a fluke!) and had just started jumping. He’s in his 70s, a lovely guy, but afterwards I wondered what did he expect me to be doing at almost 64 years old? Crocheting a cover for my Zimmer frame? A friend who’s also taken up riding in her sixties has experienced the same. Made me think ‘ageism’ isn’t a prerogative of the younger, that seniors also, or even more so, can have a stereotypical mindset to what you can do as you get older. Sorry for the rant!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Met a neighbour yesterday who, when I told him I was going to the riding school, seemed genuinely shocked and said “So you’re still riding?”. I explained I’d been riding only two years, had won the RS Summer Dressage Championship (didn’t say it was a fluke!) and had just started jumping. He’s in his 70s, a lovely guy, but afterwards I wondered what did he expect me to be doing at almost 64 years old? Crocheting a cover for my Zimmer frame? A friend who’s also taken up riding in her sixties has experienced the same. Made me think ‘ageism’ isn’t a prerogative of the younger, that seniors also, or even more so, can have a stereotypical mindset to what you can do as you get older. Sorry for the rant!

Lol! You could always crochet or knit a riding hat cover I reckon it would catch on:D my mum still can't understand why I have riding lessons as I have been riding 40 years surely I must know what I am doing by now:rolleyes:

Rumtytum

Visit site
I work with someone whos very ageist. Im 53 so not ancient, I get annoyed by some comments made.
Shes very Pc in most things but seems to think getting older is some sort of choice.
Funny thing is I work much harder than her!
Perhaps your colleague’s comments make her feel better about herself - not you! It’s a mystery to me as I’ve never noticed ‘age’ - but do notice ability and more importantly whether I like and respect the person.

Rumtytum

Visit site
Lol! You could always crochet or knit a riding hat cover I reckon it would catch on:D my mum still can't understand why I have riding lessons as I have been riding 40 years surely I must know what I am doing by now:rolleyes:
Ha! A crocheted hat cover - brilliant! And what a lovely (sensible) mum you’ve got.... Mine told me I should have all my teeth extracted and save a load of money on fillings. I was 36 :oops:.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Yes at nearing 70 I get very surprised looks from people who don't know me when they realise I do actually still ride my horse. Admittedly a lot of the riding these days is bimbling around the lanes with a canter here and there when I can find a grassy track or trespass into the forestry but I sincerely hope to still be doing this for the foreseeable future. I feel I should apoligise sometimes for not sitting quietly in my rocking chair knitting acres of blanket squares for the needy. o_O

oldie48

Visit site
Goodness me, I am 70 on boxing day and can neither crochet or knit so it's just as well that I bought Rose a month ago or I would clearly die of boredom. I do find ageing a bit annoying but taken in context of the only other alternative, well I can live with it, I suppose! I do like spending time with younger folks though, don't find them ageist just a lot more fun but perhaps I am lucky. My absolute nightmare scenario is living in an old persons complex, watching people around me die and waiting for my time to come!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I went to a lesson at a venue some distance from home. No-one there knew me. After jumping clear at, I think 70 or 80 cm, one young ( well, young to me ) said
I don’t want to be rude, but may I ask how old you are.
I told her as it is not a secret and another young rider said
I hope I can still jump that when I’m your age.
I did manage to smile thinking she did not realise she had made a back handed compliment.

jumbyjack

Visit site
Next time anyone offers me a silver sufer computer course I will be very rude and make the point that I was using computers before your mummy was born sonny! Now it's silver cyclist!!!! I did take serious exception to the doctors records indicating that I enjoyed light exercise, made it sound like I did music and movement classes for the elderly! I have three horses to muck out etc every day, that is not light exercise. I'm 71 going on 40, I do know some rude jokes and I know how babies are made, so many youngish people think our brains to into reverse for some weird reason.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I went out for lunch with 2 colleagues yesterday, we are all over 60 and I am the oldest by a few months. We did have a leisurely lunch but then I had an appointment to get to. I said that I would walk back to the office, as the other two were still eating. After a discussion about how long it would take to get the car back to the office, as opposed to walking (we were in colleague's car because they both have arthritis) one said 'Oh she has two good legs, it's all that horse-riding!'

I guess that's right, my legs are not what they used to be, following various injuries, but they do still work properly;)

pippixox

Visit site
I’m hoping at OPs age I will be in my element with children all grown up and loads of time to ride my horse! I aspire to be 80 and still hacking out and enjoying life
My granny is 86 and only stopped skiing a few years ago. Despite a hip replacement due to a fall and osteoporosis she went on a walking holiday in Yorkshire with us this spring and there was never a question of her age (she put the teenagers to shame!)

If I were you I would add some more years to your age when they ask to make them even more shocked 😛

paddy555

Visit site
I feel I should apoligise sometimes for not sitting quietly in my rocking chair knitting acres of blanket squares for the needy. o_O

I am the same age as OP and in between my knitting, not forgetting the crochet work, I muck out our 9 horses each day. I put my knitting down for an hour a couple of days ago to back my youngster. In 3 months time, provided I am not too old I shall start riding him out. I'm afraid the needy won't get many blanket squares knitted next summer, I shall have more exciting things to do! I would have left it to OH but, at 8 years older than me, he is too busy riding one of the others who needs daily exercise due to PSSM.

On a more serious note riding is something where age doesn't matter. It makes no difference if you are 20 or 70. If you have continually ridden and climbing aboard is 2nd nature then you don't notice it. You may need a mounting block to get on and even to get off but once up there you don't think of your age. You may not want to do such stupid things you did when younger but you can still easily ride. Not only that riding, especially at a walk or sitting canter, keeps your back supple with the rocking action.

There was an old lady in area who used to ride. She was 85 if a day. We used to watch the poor teenager behind her struggling to keep up. That old bird grew old very disgracefully on her arab!

Rumtytum

Visit site
Crochet hat off to you paddy, I’m in awe of what you do! Actually the needy should feel relieved I took up riding and not knitting, I’m incapable with a pair of needles and a ball of wool :oops:

Rumtytum

Visit site
If its good enough for The Queen, I'll try to follow Her example.
My elderly neighbour told me not to have any break from riding over the age of 50, he had a break for a year or so and when he rode again found it too painful for his hips. I'm trying to take his advice.
I had a 47 year break until age 61, no probs, must have detachable hips! Am now doing Pilates to keep them open;)

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have just been reminded by paddy555's post that I have been slightly dishonest in omitting my mounting and dismounting restrictions, I forgot to mention that due to two hips in imminent need of replacement and various other old injuries I do need a mounting block these days to get both on and off, as much for my horse's well being as my own. I refuse to subject her to my weight being clumsily lugged up over her withers and back because of my physical shortcomings.

However I can still do a very good emergency dismount and remount to and from the ground if circumstances get very challenging, tis amazing how much adrenaline helps overcome pain and stiffness lol!

paddy555

Visit site
Crochet hat off to you paddy, I’m in awe of what you do! Actually the needy should feel relieved I took up riding and not knitting, I’m incapable with a pair of needles and a ball of wool :oops:

LOL cause if am beyond incapable with knitting and the needy should be extremely grateful for my lack of efforts. I am far safer on a horse!

Rumtytum

Visit site
......Bit of an usurper here but the other young riders I know would be most likely to say, 'wow s/he's so cool, I hope I'm still riding at that age' - because we genuinely think this.
Thanks Chinchilla, must say none of the RS yard staff, mostly young girls, see us oldies as any different, horse talk transcends age! And my 40 year old instructor is as hard on me as on a twenty year old :eek:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
On a more serious note riding is something where age doesn't matter. It makes no difference if you are 20 or 70. If you have continually ridden and climbing aboard is 2nd nature then you don't notice it. You may need a mounting block to get on and even to get off but once up there you don't think of your age. You may not want to do such stupid things you did when younger but you can still easily ride. Not only that riding, especially at a walk or sitting canter, keeps your back supple with the rocking action.

I don't entirely agree here; it very often does make a difference if you're 70, not 20 any more. I'm not anywhere near the rider I was at 30: not as quick, not as supple, not as strong. I can still ride, don't get me wrong, and I'm still backing horses and riding young ones, but I can't do the things I used to do without giving it a second thought - I can't mount from the ground any more, I can't just jump off (it's more a flop-and-slither now), I can't use that iron seat in the same way. I can still do it, and the finesse after 60 years means I don't have to use the power I used to have, which is perhaps better anyway. I'm not sad or nostalgic, just grateful for everything I've learned, and am still learning.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I fully intend on growing old disgracefully - my belated lovely mum always said she still felt 18 inside no matter her age - I'm 56 now & want to be still riding into my 90s at the very least 🤞