Ageism

Hollychops

Visit site
I am 54, dying of boredom whilst saving for my next horse! Cant wait to get back on board and get out doing stuff. My sister is 68 in a few days time and bought herself a horse just over a year ago and is doing stuff she has waited along time to do, a BE80(T) being one of them. At a recent riding club sj competition there were just as many mature riders, if not more, than little people riding. Its what keeps us all sane.

AmieeT

Visit site
This mindset amazes me really, when you look at the equestrian teams in events like the olympics, it’s a far wider age range than any other sport- as for the comments about jumping, Nick Skelton was 58 when he won his second Olympic Gold!!

I’ve met people out hacking who I have then tootled along with until parting, and the first time I met one fabulous lady I’ve seen a few times was 76 riding her 5yo PBA that she intended to compete the following season! (Although I’m sure my jaw hit the floor when she told me her age because I could have sworn she was about 50).

I truly hope than I’ll be in my 90s still occasionally hacking like HM! 😁

J&S

Visit site
I am 72 next February and I have just acquired a new pony, she is small but very active . I also am lucky to have the ride on a 16 hh ex PC eventer/SJ/Hunter who is 24 years old, we do arena Trec and give them all a run for their money! I am hoping that we can attain 100 years between us. I took him round a 70 cm HT last October and I found the problem was becoming rather puffed out and I had to take a couple of L fences to get my breath back. I was proud to have actually got round and even with the faults for the L's we came 10/30. Mind you, I give all credit to the horse!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm inspired by the amount of work my fellow oldies are still capable of. I'm lazier, if not less capable, but I was chuffed to back my latest youngster this year at 60. I did think I was past backing flighty lightweights. Or jumping on a newly bought ex-racer and taking it out for a solo back.

For the sake of completeness, though, I think I should point out that I have found the following beneficial for the horse as I get older. 😋

- mount from a block. Purely to protect the horse's back, not that I can't get on from the floor.
- leave the mud except where the tack sits. Honest, they like a bit of mud, not that endless scraping at mud makes my elbow hurt.
- keep them in a barn and never take out the wet. Much better for them to be together and have space, not that I'm exhausted by carting barrow loads of wet shavings.
- buy new versions of WOW saddles because they are lighter. Better for the horse's back of course, not that I'm not strong enough to lift the heavy ones up high.
- install feeder racks. All that pulling at nets isn't good for their necks, not that I'd rather nap than fight with a hay net.
- cut manes with scissors. Because it's obviously cruel, not that pulling at manes hurts my fingers.

Has anyone made other improvements for their horses as they get older?

Reacher

Visit site
Finding this thread inspirational. Also thinking I need to buck my ideas up to keep up with you all as have been moaning about creaky hips and knees and wondering how long I’ll be able carry on riding. (I’m nearly 50)

My mum age 79 is made of sterner stuff. She rides twice a week at the local RS. She has bad OA in hips and was thinking she was going to have to stop so she had hip replacement in September and has been back riding for several week. She informed me when they visit at Christmas she’d like a go on my horse! (she hasn’t before as he was too broad in the back for her). If she does i’ll take a video when she’s not looking!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm inspired by the amount of work my fellow oldies are still capable of. I'm lazier, if not less capable, but I was chuffed to back my latest youngster this year at 60. I did think I was past backing flighty lightweights. Or jumping on a newly bought ex-racer and taking it out for a solo back.

For the sake of completeness, though, I think I should point out that I have found the following beneficial for the horse as I get older. 😋

- mount from a block. Purely to protect the horse's back, not that I can't get on from the floor.
- leave the mud except where the tack sits. Honest, they like a bit of mud, not that endless scraping at mud makes my elbow hurt.
- keep them in a barn and never take out the wet. Much better for them to be together and have space, not that I'm exhausted by carting barrow loads of wet shavings.
- buy new versions of WOW saddles because they are lighter. Better for the horse's back of course, not that I'm not strong enough to lift the heavy ones up high.
- install feeder racks. All that pulling at nets isn't good for their necks, not that I'd rather nap than fight with a hay net.
- cut manes with scissors. Because it's obviously cruel, not that pulling at manes hurts my fingers.

Has anyone made other improvements for their horses as they get older?

I feel you, as they say :)

paddy555

Visit site
it never occurred to me that people didn't ride when they were old. I used to commute to work in the late 70's. Many times I would pass a lady mid 80's on a 17hh hunter off to the meet. This was at 7am! She hacked to the meets which were often several miles. As the season progressed I would meet her riding home at around 4.30. She had hacked to the meet, hunted all day and hacked home.
In the 80's I started doing some endurance type rides. I often rode with a friend, she was also over 80, transported the horse to the ride (land rover and trailer in those days) did 25 miles and sometimes more and then drove herself home. The only bit of old age you could see was when she clambered onto the landrover bumper to mount. This was not a plod but a fast horse wizzing around rough country.
Lots of older people ride around here.

On the hip and knee comments we both got e bikes around 3 years ago to try and avoid any knee problems keep them supple and avoid replacements etc by building up the muscles. They have made a tremendous difference and also work well with the hip joints.

cindars

Visit site
Lovely reading all these stories.I'm 71 still riding maybe not quite so often or as far.Bike down to yard twice a day easier going as downhill can mount from ground but have used mounting block for years.Still help get hay from friends field.Intend to go on for as long as possible.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I am 72 next February and I have just acquired a new pony, she is small but very active . I also am lucky to have the ride on a 16 hh ex PC eventer/SJ/Hunter who is 24 years old, we do arena Trec and give them all a run for their money! I am hoping that we can attain 100 years between us. I took him round a 70 cm HT last October and I found the problem was becoming rather puffed out and I had to take a couple of L fences to get my breath back. I was proud to have actually got round and even with the faults for the L's we came 10/30. Mind you, I give all credit to the horse!!
You are seriously impressive J&S! My and RS horse joint age = 82. Am feeling a mere whippersnapper :)

still standing

Visit site
I would also be one at the top end of the age range mentioned here! When my horse of a lifetime got a severe field injury two summers ago & I had to retire him, I hadn't the heart to think of another at the time but got the offer of a share which was fine for a while. But after a few months I began to wonder why I was putting in a lot of time and effort schooling and competing someone else's horse (although I appreciated the opportunity) when I might be doing it with my own one. So around this time last year, I bought another horse (7 years old then), lucky to find one with a super temperament and have had a great time doing everything with her - hacking, TREC, dressage, beach rides, small jumps. I'm a great believer in age being only a number, keep doing as much as you can for as long as you can. But like Cortez says, I do make small concessions - I've always mounted from a block, but I swing rather than lift up my saddle onto her back these days & I am really good at dismounting by swinging one leg over her back and sliding down to the ground, no leaping off any more (trained her to stand rock steady early on).

Mule

Visit site
I have a family member who is 75 and still events. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be quite as hardy when I'm his age.

JenniD

Visit site
I have just been reminded by paddy555's post that I have been slightly dishonest in omitting my mounting and dismounting restrictions, I forgot to mention that due to two hips in imminent need of replacement and various other old injuries I do need a mounting block these days to get both on and off, as much for my horse's well being as my own. I refuse to subject her to my weight being clumsily lugged up over her withers and back because of my physical shortcomings.

However I can still do a very good emergency dismount and remount to and from the ground if circumstances get very challenging, tis amazing how much adrenaline helps overcome pain and stiffness lol!
Hellooo, after a long break from H&H forum. I always mount from the block. Dismounting is a total lottery for me. If I can dismount without clouting the poor fella's backside with my boot it's made my day..and his!! I don't have hip bones, I have ratchets!...Merry Christmas all.

JenniD

Visit site
Met a neighbour yesterday who, when I told him I was going to the riding school, seemed genuinely shocked and said “So you’re still riding?”. I explained I’d been riding only two years, had won the RS Summer Dressage Championship (didn’t say it was a fluke!) and had just started jumping. He’s in his 70s, a lovely guy, but afterwards I wondered what did he expect me to be doing at almost 64 years old? Crocheting a cover for my Zimmer frame? A friend who’s also taken up riding in her sixties has experienced the same. Made me think ‘ageism’ isn’t a prerogative of the younger, that seniors also, or even more so, can have a stereotypical mindset to what you can do as you get older. Sorry for the rant!
There's something to be said rumty about 'living outside the box'. Was on the phone to someone I haven't spoken to for years the other day, and when I told her I still rode, after a pause her reply was "I'm impressed"! My reply was.."Yes! so am I"!....oops! gotta go, time for my industrial strength Sanatogen!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hellooo, after a long break from H&H forum. I always mount from the block. Dismounting is a total lottery for me. If I can dismount without clouting the poor fella's backside with my boot it's made my day..and his!! I don't have hip bones, I have ratchets!...Merry Christmas all.

Hello JenniD!

I've begun to teach all of mine that I'm likely to clout their backside getting off!. I was quite surprised when the new ex racer didn't react at all. He's an old ladies ex racer, for sure 😀

What other things did we teach them to accommodate our increasing years, I wonder?

My other one is to hook my left armpit over the wither so I can control how fast I slide to the floor.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Have a look a the hunting fields :) I swear my local hunt has more over 70s than the local dressage club.

My instructor is 72, still training and riding his own point to pointers, although someone else hunts them. A friend of his is 73 and still producing his own showjumpers, though he only rides at shows when his classes are later in the day as he says he's done too many 5.00am starts.

honetpot

Visit site
I had never experianced agism, apart from when at the doctors until a few weeks ago, when I applied for a job. The person who was perhaps not much younger than me, certainly not much lighter than me, asked if I you that it was a physical job. I nearly snorted.
Like most of with horses we lift hay bales, feed bags and tramp with a full muck barrow to the heap. Since I got the cows the barrow has got heavier , I have never known any animal make so much mess.
I no longer ride, but apart from that part I actually do more exercise as I have more to look after.
My husband who is retired has lost weight as he works so much outside, and is fitter than when he was younger. We are both not as flexible and all I can say is look after your knees.

Reacher

Visit site
My mum age 79 is made of sterner stuff. She rides twice a week at the local RS. She has bad OA in hips and was thinking she was going to have to stop so she had hip replacement in September and has been back riding for several week. She informed me when they visit at Christmas she’d like a go on my horse! (she hasn’t before as he was too broad in the back for her). If she does i’ll take a video when she’s not looking!

And she did!
915A4C30-A30F-4972-8242-B2726DDAB744.png

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Brilliant photo Rowreach of a fab mum and fab horse! Thanks to everyone, am no longer feeling an oddball for having hopes and ambitions, and as proved by so many here, age is immaterial - I'm doing what I do because I CAN

GreyMane

Visit site
Re ageism, this is my favourite joke :)

A wealthy old lady decides to go on a photo safari in Africa, taking her faithful elderly pet poodle along for company. One day the poodle starts chasing butterflies and before long he discovers that he is lost. Wandering about, he notices a leopard heading rapidly in his direction with the obvious intention of having lunch. The poodle thinks, "Uh-oh, I'm in deep trouble now!"
Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat. Just as the leopard is about to leap, the poodle exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious leopard. I wonder if there are any more around here."
Hearing this, the leopard halts his attack in mid-stride, a look of terror comes over him, and he slinks away into the trees. "Whew," says the leopard. "That was close. That poodle nearly had me." Meanwhile, a young monkey, who has been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the leopard. So, off he goes. But the poodle sees him heading after the leopard with great speed, and figures that something must be up.
The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard. The leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here, monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!"
The poodle sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back and thinks, "What am I going to do now?" But instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet and, just when they get close enough to hear, the poodle says, "Where's that damn monkey got to? I sent him off half an hour ago to bring me another leopard!"
The moral is: old age and treachery beats youth and strength!