Agility problem

MagicMelon

Visit site
So we've been going to weekly agility training with our labradoodle for about 2 years now, this year we've started taking her to the odd agility competition. She is fantastic when running, can do difficult courses no problem. However, our issue is her attention! We had big problems at the beginning with her deciding to run off half way round the course, and have only just got her to stay at the start. She generally just goes for a few laps of the field, she doesn't run off as such just bombs about excitedly often stopping to speak to the other dogs - however she is 10 times better nowadays and rarely does it now in training. All competitions (bar one) have been fully enclosed with mesh so she cant leave the ring, however the one that was not mesh - she basically did the first 3 jumps then took off and left the ring, by the 4th class she finally listened and we got round. I have a big KC show this weekend with several rings running and I've just been told the rings are open (just a string) and I'm panicking! What happens if she leaves the ring and goes into other rings putting off the other dogs?! My trainer simply says I can only get her to improve by doing it. Does anyone have any tips? I'm planning to keep her around the other dogs ASAP so she gets used to them and the edge of her excitement hopefully goes, and use a lunge rein to try some stays and recalls to get her listening to me. The best way to get her back when she runs off is to sqeak a noisy toy but these aren't allowed :(

dollyanna

Visit site
It's not an uncommon problem, and there is only so much you can do in training before you have to move the training to a competition. My club were great for my first competitions (deaf dog) and when I was running they basically surrounded the ring armed with cheese and if he looked like he was heading out they would "call" him to them, cheese at the ready if needed but generally they just blocked him and redirected until I could get his attention again.
Enlist the help of many people if you can, and just keep working constantly to make yourself the most exciting thing in the world - every walk, every training session, and lots of periods when you are just at home too.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Honestly? I would give the KC show a miss for now and stick to shows with fenced rings. I know exactly where you are coming from and I have been there myself but it is not fair on other competitors and potentially not fair on your dog if the dog in the next ring reacts with aggression. You are doing all the right things but it sounds like she needs a bit more time. :)

bonny

Visit site
I'm with the others, your dog should not be competing at shows where he could run off and annoy other dogs, I think after 2 years of training maybe she is trying to tell you something and it's time to do other things with her.

Last edited:

Cahill

Visit site
by running off by herself she is `self rewarding` and having herself a good time so IMO the thing to do would be catch her and straight back to car.

at uka you can do `not for comp` and take a toy in the ring (not food) so you could do a jump or too,then reward with toy and so on.

dont give up as many have overcome this.

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I'm afraid I would agree with Blackcob and Bonny, stick to fenced rings until you are sure she will not leave the ring. I would stick to practicing in unfenced rings at smaller shows ( UKA ?) where people are more likely to be sympathetic if it does happen.

I would also wonder if she is doing it as some sort of displacement behaviour ? Is she worried about other dogs staring/lunging at her, is something painful ? Just a thought.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I do understand your problem as my dog can still be distracted even though he has been doing agility for a while. I do agree with others though that she is maybe not ready for KC competitions yet. You will be worrying which will transmit to her and neither of you will give your best performance. I am sure you will overcome the issue, it is a very common on, but no point setting her up to fail.

Roxylola

Visit site
Personally, I found my beagle loved the actual agility but she would bog off and entertain herself like this. In the end I sort of gave up to it as we were never going to be able to compete or anything. With hindsight what I should have done, was train the agility like I trained the heelwork - keeping her close and giving regular small food rewards and keeping it all a bit low key. The way agility tends to be trained just does not suit her, she is not toy motivated anyway and by making it all fast and exciting it just encouraged her to bog off and think of it as play time!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I also wondered if it was avoidance/she doesn't have enough interest to complete the course without constant reinforcement.

When does she typically get her first reward when you are training?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
^^ There are 'training in the ring' shows and unaffiliated shows that allow NFC runs that can really help with this, they usually allow you to take a non-food toy into the ring and reward while you're in there. Not sure about their availability in Scotland though. :(

The last dog to leave the ring and come bowling up to mine while she was working was a great dane, despite being twice the size and weight of my dog it was sent packing in no uncertain terms, I'd hate for that to happen to a newbie dog and put them off.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
I started out in agility 20 years ago with a lab, before i switched to collies. He trained to a high level and qualified for finals down south... where he suddenly left the ring having smelled the burger van :D Over the years I’ve had to work with various collies who although very switched on to the job, would also leave the ring at the drop of a hat if they spot movement. Anyway, I sympathise.

What I would advise is to go along to the KC show but dont necessarily plan on competing. Take a long line and be prepared to work with her in the exercise area and around the rings. You have to TRAIN in that environment; the KC show will be busier, more rings and more open. You will get a feel yourself for how focused she is. Also, the show I imagine you are going to often has a pay as you go ring for charity. You can use it as long as you are entered in the show but you can take a helper in with you, keep her on a long lead or use your toy. Another thing I always try to do with such a dog is go to some big training days where 2 or 3 rings are working at once. For example there are 2 training camps on this week south of Aberdeen. It’s good to go to different instructors now and again too. Good luck!

MagicMelon

Visit site
The problem is that by choice I would absolutely only do shows which are fully fenced however there are very very few shows within a 2 hour drive of us (which is all I'm willing to travel given our current issue!). The only fenced ones are the monthly winter ones at a local EC, otherwise there's only about 4 the entire rest of the year so I dont have much choice :( Basically it would mean we went to no shows at all March - November so not exactly getting in any practice away from training.

Yup I fully intend to be not for competition so I can take a toy in, I know food isnt generally allowed in the ring but I assume it acceptable if in one of those balls (velcro ones which the dog opens up)? She's very food orientated so really this is her favourite reward. I have bought her a couple of new tuggy type toys which I'll save for competitions only so they're exciting.

CorvusCorax - she gets her reward usually when we finish the course or whatever exercise we're doing, we are always careful to keep her happy and keen though as if we repeat the same exercise too many times or if she's finding something a bit difficult then she loses interest and this is prime time for her to go, so we try hard to change to something fun for her if we think this is happening (for her its contacts, she loves them).

Thanks NeverEver, I'll have a look at the training days. Our main issue is time - we're often working weekends (or I have horse events which get priority!) so its so hard to do these sorts of things :(

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
Its nigh on impossible to juggle kids, horses and do agility.. Ive discovered :( Mostly, my crazy competitive agility years are over, I just dont enjoy it as much but I still train at home and do the odd KC show. Bare in mind (not sure if this is what you meant) you cant run NFC at a KC show unfortunately, best bet is if they run a pay as you go ring but they are few and far between.

dollyanna

Visit site
You may be allowed food if it cannot be dropped - cheese spread on fingers is good for this - at some of the smaller club shows.

sam-b

Visit site
I have a young dog who is a complete nightmare. Very very talented, but a nightmare. I recently got the book , when pigs fly, which is all about none operent dogs and for me it's been a turning point. I strongly suggest you give it a read, and don't give up . I'm glad I didn't.

galaxy

Visit site
At a KC competition you absolutely cannot run NFC and cannot take any toys or food into the ring of any description

It is a common problem, however if you know that it's likely to happen and she could go and interfere with other dogs in item rings then I would can the KC competition and do more training. As you do more she will hopefully learn more drive and by next year not want to run off anyway.

Wiz201

Visit site
Not doing shows will not solve this problem. The dog needs to build up more ring experience and running NFC at UKA shows will bridge this gap.