AH Saddles

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I just wanted some opinions on them I have been looking at the working hunter saddle for one of my Arabs who is not easy to fit saddle wise, his very wide short backed with no wither so everything kind of rolls, I would love to buy a brand new one but just can't afford it at the moment, so would love to hear from anyone who has one especially if you have one for an Arab, I have spoken to S Bloom and sent her pictures so she has advised me what to look for and I look on the used Facebook site but not found anything yet.

Cowpony

Visit site
I have one, although my horse isn't an Arab. They are beautiful saddles and my horse seems comfortable in it.

shadowboy

Visit site
I had one - it never quite fitted correctly despite 3 of her fitters including her coming out to fit it. After 9 months I gave up and sold it online. They hold their value really well and the leather is nice- it just wasn't 'round' enough for my fatty

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had one - it never quite fitted correctly despite 3 of her fitters including her coming out to fit it. After 9 months I gave up and sold it online. They hold their value really well and the leather is nice- it just wasn't 'round' enough for my fatty

what width did you have ?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I've got one for my elephant.

It's him lovely and Steph has helped lots.

Like with all saddles (well anything really) there are good and bad experiences with them.

buddylove

Visit site
I've got one for my elephant.

It's him lovely and Steph has helped lots.

Like with all saddles (well anything really) there are good and bad experiences with them.

^^^^ and some people shout the loudest!!

I have 2 AH saddles and I am very happy with them. They are smart, traditional looking saddles (I can't abide weird looking saddles)! Which are fitted with great care and attention. They are not going to be the answer for every single wide horse in the country. Indeed one of mine is not fitting well at the moment, but instead of rushing to adjust we are riding in the other which does fit well and waiting to see if he levels out.
All I can suggest is try it and see, as with any saddle, only your horse will tell you if it's right!

Wheels

Visit site
I have one for one of mine and it really suits him and me. No probs with customer service here either.

Spottyappy

Visit site
I have recently had one made. It will need some adjustment as my mare has unfortunately been out of work more or less since it was made, but have no hesitation in recommending them, especially if your horse is slightly rounded and croup high.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I had one for a couple of days for my Arab x. I ended up returning it as it was way too small for me despite being a 17" and I also really wasn't convinced that my horse liked it.

shadowboy

Visit site
The problems I had were basically that when I tried it, it seemed fine because the pony went OK in it in walk, Trot and canter. They give you a week to test run it but you can't ride it in rain and the stirrups must go under the flaps- due to it being February the arena was either frozen or it was raining so I never got to jump in it. Anyway, I paid for it after the first week then started more intense work and when the pony was asked to work through its back more and to jump the saddle would go up the shoulder. After trying various pads/no pads I had the original fitter out. He saw what was happening and reflocked and there was a marginal improvement but I couldn't return it as it had been used (for about 3 weeks at this point) 6 weeks later it was much much worse- I was having to dismount to move saddle. He came out again and played with flocking- and we tried a shaped girth and a range of girthing options and this helped

A month down the line from that it started again. AHicks came out herself and reflocked it completely differently to the other saddler around the shoulder- offered me £800 for it but I'd just paid £1150 for it 3 months previously! Any ways it seemed to work and I did some county workers in it over the summer. Pony then started having back problems- had him seen to by his usual back lady every 6 weeks as it was pretty bad (couldn't get correct lead canter/bucking) and she saw problems over the wither each time she came- I stopped riding and started using equi-ami for about 3 months. He came right. Started riding again in the AH saddle and again the saddle was slipping up the shoulder. By this point it was now November and I was fed up- called AH but each call out was £40-60 and I thought stuff it and cancelled the fitting. I sold the saddle on eBay for £750 (should have taken her £800 offer earlier on!!)

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The problems I had were basically that when I tried it, it seemed fine because the pony went OK in it in walk, Trot and canter. They give you a week to test run it but you can't ride it in rain and the stirrups must go under the flaps- due to it being February the arena was either frozen or it was raining so I never got to jump in it. Anyway, I paid for it after the first week then started more intense work and when the pony was asked to work through its back more and to jump the saddle would go up the shoulder. After trying various pads/no pads I had the original fitter out. He saw what was happening and reflocked and there was a marginal improvement but I couldn't return it as it had been used (for about 3 weeks at this point) 6 weeks later it was much much worse- I was having to dismount to move saddle. He came out again and played with flocking- and we tried a shaped girth and a range of girthing options and this helped

A month down the line from that it started again. AHicks came out herself and reflocked it completely differently to the other saddler around the shoulder- offered me £800 for it but I'd just paid £1150 for it 3 months previously! Any ways it seemed to work and I did some county workers in it over the summer. Pony then started having back problems- had him seen to by his usual back lady every 6 weeks as it was pretty bad (couldn't get correct lead canter/bucking) and she saw problems over the wither each time she came- I stopped riding and started using equi-ami for about 3 months. He came right. Started riding again in the AH saddle and again the saddle was slipping up the shoulder. By this point it was now November and I was fed up- called AH but each call out was £40-60 and I thought stuff it and cancelled the fitting. I sold the saddle on eBay for £750 (should have taken her £800 offer earlier on!!)

thank you for going into so much detail I really don't know what to do as his current saddle is moving forward slightly it's not terrible, I use LM saddles at the moment but they have quite a curved tree and although they suit my other horse as his not flat backed the other one is a totally different shape, I basically want something to hack and do ridden showing in I am not keen on very flat close contact showing saddles, would prefer a more working hunter type saddle just really don't know where to go now!

Wheels

Visit site
Have you had one of the AH fitters out? I would at least try one of their saddles and make up your own mind whether it works or not. Distance selling laws now state that you have 14 days to change your mind

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Have you had one of the AH fitters out? I would at least try one of their saddles and make up your own mind whether it works or not. Distance selling laws now state that you have 14 days to change your mind

We had a two week trial that we could make sure it was the right saddle for us.

shadowboy

Visit site
Could give them a try to see? In the end I had an ideal made on a hoop tree. Cost £1400 but had it to my spec. I will say the AH saddles are very nice to look at!

Pinkvboots

Visit site

no I haven't because I really didn't want to buy a brand new one I have spoken to one and sent pictures and they have been really helpful and told me what they think will fit.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Could give them a try to see? In the end I had an ideal made on a hoop tree. Cost £1400 but had it to my spec. I will say the AH saddles are very nice to look at!

I do really like the working hunter one I had an ideal ramsay for my other horse but it was no good for him totally wrong shape but it probably would have fitted this horse lol! Unfortunately I sold it about 3 years ago.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
LOVE mine and love Sbloom too!! I have the GP for my connie and his topline has dramatically improved since using it. Steph spends a long time making sure both horse and rider are happy. Would never have another brand now.

little_critter

Visit site
I have a Phoenix gpj. I love it, it puts me in a good position for both flatwork and jumping. Steph takes great care when fitting.